Do you wear glasses? (or contacts)

Do you wear glasses?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you wear glasses?

• Yes - always (when im awake!)
    • Yes - but only when reading, or only when looking long distances (not permamently needed)
    • No

I got my glasses back today! Yea!! I just went into the office and there was another gym teacher there, not the scary one. I asked him if he had found any glasses. And there they were, case and all sitting on the desk. They had collected a nice layer of dust since I had left him there, back in November.

About the scary gym teacher. He's not a bad guy. He is gigantic, and hardly talks. He has this look about him that seems as if he could snap you in half with one hand. He's, by far, the oldest gym teacher in my school, but he is easily the stongest.

Oh well, I got them back. That's all that counts. :)

I wear glasses most of the day, except usually when I'm reading, as I don't need them for that, and it feels like I'm resting my eyes by not using them for a while. I wore contacts for a few years, as as a vain teenager and early twentysomething, I couldn't bear the thought of looking "geeky". I got a pair of glasses to wear around the home though, for when my lenses were in rinse, and over the years I just started to wear them more and more, as they didn't require all the tiresome cleaning and putting in/removing time that contacts do. As I've got older, I guess I've developed more confidence, less worries about how people perceive me, and a realisation that at the end of the day, it's your personality that really is the most important thing. Not only that, but I think that glasses can look pretty good, anyway. So for me, it's glasses all the time now. //-O-O-\\

yeah, the results are similar to what i expected...

63% where glasses at some point in their life

while 37% dont need them at all.

i sometimes wonder what they did with all these people who didnt have perfect vision in the 'olden days' when glasses (as in specs/contacts) didnt exist.

also, if you think of it in an evolutionary sense then because the majority of people do not have 'perfect' vision the genes of 'perfect' vision will sowly over time become last in the relative majority or non-perfect vision genes... this means that in a long time everyone will need glasses... however laser eye treatment is becoming quite popular, the only major draw back being the cost.

(also, that is assuming vision is genetic, obviously if you shine lasers in your eyes that is classed as environmental, however if you are born with good vision or short/long sighted, that would be genetic... i think!??)

Has anyone ever tried the eye exercises that supposedly strengthen the eyes so that glasses and contacts would be unneccesary? There is a whole school of thought that says glasses are like crutches and if we simply kept our eyes in shape we wouldn't need them.

I checked a book out of the library once. The exercises are not hard, but it is something you'd have to do pretty religiously, just like a bodybuilder would have to do to maintain olympic form.

I guess that why a lot of people just wear glasses.

how do you do these eye excercises?
The book I got from my library is Seeing yourself see : eye exercises for total vision by Jim Jackson. Google had several hits for eye exercises as well, but some are pay sites. Most of it was just looking in various ways, stretching your eye muscles the way you'd stretch any other muscle. The question is, do you have the time and the discipline to do them? If you'd like to see without corrective lenses or surgery, it's a great way to go.

Most of us are lazy, I'm sad to say.

I wear glasses pretty much all the time. The only time I wear contacts is when I play rugby, but they they tend to keep getting knocked out. Contacts are too much hassle to put in in the morning when you're in a rush, and you can do some damage if you try to take them out after you've been drinking, as I found out...

• 1 month later...
Guest jakobe

I think a lot of people here do wear glasses or contacts. I have -8 on my glasses. I am blind without glasses or contacts.

How strong a prescription do you need?

Considering my daily dose of computer related activities since I was 5 or something, it's amazing that I still have a rather good vision and don't need any contacts or glasses. :)

A fun thing to ponder: Do tyrants always have a good vision, or don't they just tell the public that they use glasses? (Talking about Hitler, Stalin and the whole bunch of course, not anyone on the forums ;) )

A fun thing to ponder: Do tyrants always have a good vision, or don't they just tell the public that they use glasses? (Talking about Hitler, Stalin and the whole bunch of course, not anyone on the forums ;) )

I would think that for guys like this, they would be afraid of glasses being interpreted as a sign of weakness.