The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello guys

I deeply feel I need to introduce myself again. B)

When I first signed up SFN, I was 15 years old. Now I'm about to reach 18, so there were so many changes I'm sure I'm not the same.

My first contact with science was due to my mother job. She works with microbiology quality control and bacteria identification so that I've always shown some interesting on science topics.

It led me to a Chemistry Technician school, know in Brazil as IFRJ (Federal Institute of Science, Education and Technology) which offers High School + Chemistry Tech courses (altogether). So that I started considering Analytical Chemistry such a good friend :)

The reason for that I post here is reaching what's been discussed, being helped, helping and making good friends, of course.

So...

welcome for those who are coming now, cause my new me is on the loose.

:P

My names john n i have a recurring dream about being forced to sleep in the same bed as my older sister.
Hi John! What does your older sister look like?

Everybody,

Greetings fellow Earthlings! I just joined this forum and I'm already having a good(7__4) time(47). Pardon me for writing using exposed gematria(74), but that's part of my 'mission'. I'm a multi-disciplinary scientist and writer - an independent researcher and theorist. I look forward to some healthy interaction on scienceforums.net

Edited by Brad_Watson_Miami_FL

Hi all, I'm DragonDancer, I do not object to DD if you wish to shorten my name.

I am currently 37yrs old and have been married to JohnB since December 1998, but please don't hold that against me :blink:

I have been reading over John's shoulder since he joined SFN and been tempted to join many times, so today I finally joined up. I thought it was about time there was someone who could tell him he's wrong, just "Because I am the Wife and he is the husband, which makes him automatically wrong" ;)

But seriously, I, like John, am a thinker. I have never attended a university, for two reasons, at the time I couldn't afford to go and now that I can, I can't find a course that interests me so I am thinking of writing my own. I am fascinated by Mythology all around the world and have devoted a large portion of my life to collecting books on the many differing myths and legends that form the basis of society.

As my "science" leans more to an esoteric nature, compiling myths and legends for my own personal study, stories that started out as word of mouth and were eventually written, I doubt that you will see a large number of posts from me, but lately I have seen some poss that seem to be veering toward my field, so I might get a hand in the debates occasionally.

Basically I am here to learn and be entertained as I have been while reading over John's shoulder, only now that I have joined up, I can join in. Maybe I'll surprise you all, and surprise myself while at it.:unsure:

DD

Hello everybody!

I'm new here, and I just want to introduce myself.

I'm from Portugal and I want to study Biochemistry at the University. I hope here I'll find good information about this subject and learn something with the experience of other users.

Hello people! New here! I'm interested in Physics, Astrology and Philosophy. You'll find me in those areas most of the time. I recently broke my leg during a rock climbing accident in Egypt so I'm lucky enough to get some free time while my wife tends to the kids. I'm a huge fan of music and computer games, even though I'm growing out of them at a fast rate -- I play football on the weekends and martial arts on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm Jewish! Yay! :3 See you! "]

PoX3.

Edited by PlutoXid3

Hello, everyone! I'm Belle and I stopped by this proverbial earth to lie on my back to regard the endless stars with a longing that only the earthbound can ever truly feel. Allow my soul to sprawl among you, to sift through the loam of random thoughts; to vainly roll my tongue on the easy lies I tell myself from the adamantine mintage of unpalatable truths; assaying, both with great trepidation and borrowed courage, the quality of a speculation before, during, and after the fact. In choosing to not merely stand still, I have declared not only for movement but for flux, for change. It doesn’t really matter which direction…oh no, wait, I’m wrong; it does matter where you go, aimless movement is wasteful. Still, some days call for any kind of action, as opposed to void. So, here I am …wondering … wandering….

What might I learn, or teach, when I listen, truly listen, to what befalls as a consequence of movement, a leaf falling to the ground? What insight might I be able to bring to the lightest touch rendered and accepted, to every meeting? What lonesome valleys, what triumphant mountains, and my memories of either, or both, might I take with me to the end of my road? Is it true what they say, that it’s the journey that’s more important than the destination? Is it the words we’re able to say; to utter, to write, that shapes what comes? Is it what we do, what we choose to do? Can one draw the likeness of the future with a careless pen? Can a careless pen grow into an eloquence? Is the Butterfly Effect actually real?

Hey, let me stay for awhile, why don’t you? There’s always something to scream or whisper about … always some place else to be flyin’, eh?

I am new here to say all of you "hi!". Hope to be welcomed by all of you. I would like to be the part of the discussion going in this forum. And I think that you are enjoying a lot on this site. I am here for too which will enjoy soon. I am new here and I hope you will guide me to follow the rules of this site.

Hello! I saw a link to this fine place from Rational Skepticism and thought I'd pop in.

I am not a scientist and actually pretty poor at math, but I enjoy reading about science and am always interested in learning something new. Thanks!

Hay guys, I'm Hayden, I came here because I want to start a lab next year, and I think this could help... I'm always aiming for things over my head, and haven't backed down yet... I think science is essential in this world, and that among a community is a very important place to be.

Obviously because I'm new at the moment, I am happy just to participate. But I hope to find people like me who are working on making the world a better place (through intelligence), or willing to help :).

But I'm more then happy just to keep it at chat :P

Hi, I'm Alyssa Ordoñez from PHILIPPINES. Since grade 4 my interest is already in Science and in highschool I was awarded as BEST IN SCIENCE. My friends think I'm crazy, but of course I'm not! hehehehe..... They think that way, because they can't understand my imagination! hehehe laugh.gif

Edited by Alyssa Ordoñez

Hi everyone, I'm Rob. I am Environmental science [Murdoch Uni] and Arts Graduate [uni of Western Australia]. Main interests these days evolutionary theory in particular and biology and science in general. Also interested in the philosophy of science, but not much of a fan of post-modernist interpretations of things, especially of the radical type. What else, I'm an old fart. I get a certain puerile enjoyment out of de-bunking creationism and pseudosciences. I was a Moderator on the old RDF forum site before it folded, and can now be found at places like RatSkeps, the AFA forum, Talk Rational and the like. I am an atheist, because I think it is the only way that one can try to be a full-time "methodological rationalist" without being inconsistent and experiencing cognitive dissonance. Not that I am claiming to be a perfect rationalist-I am a human being, not a robot. But I find that the more one exercises one's rational skepticism, the easier it gets, and hopefully, one makes fewer mistakes. Certainly, many contradictions disappeared when I became an atheist. The God Hypothesis is a hard one to subject to destructive testing, given that there are so many moving goalposts. Even more strange that some claim god as an absolute fact. It seems to me that if one claims that god is real, then one is claiming omniscience, for only with total knowledge could you absolutely claim the existence or non-existence of god. Therefore any belief that god exists must be surely irrational. For who amongst us humans is omniscient?

Good to meet you all.

I thought I'd be nice and introduce myself before I started chiming in on topics!

:)post-31985-072122000 1283372068_thumb.jpg

I'm Paula, I'm 26 and I live in Scotland with my fiance and our three kids. We have number 4 coming next April. I confess to being a total Layman, but my interest in Science is vast and I do have theories and questions. Let's face it- science is sexy. Look forward to chatting with you all

This is a great board.... Hello everyone... I am a grandma that has not been in school since the dinosour erra...so....My questions will sometimes be simple. I ran accross this website by accident... but so far reading all the answers to some of the questions... to say more I am in kindergarden compared to the questions and answers out here... so I have to help my grandson out with his homework...so to not feel stupid when helpping him out, I am going to post some of his renewable energy questions out on this board because it looks like there is someone that can help me get the answers so that I can help him out. Anyway Hello all......Celeste:rolleyes:

Hi there, I've read some of these introductions and must say it seems pretty much a waist of time, but I'll do the right thing I spose and lead with my chin.

Firstly, apologies are in order cos I know nothing about science. I'm afraid my motivation for becoming a member is purely selfish <g>.

I am way out of my depth among those who are academically credentialled and {at this stage} joined only to seek an answer to a question.

Although I am involved with EIS {Electrolytically Isolated Silver} for personal use I don't follow most of the talkback forums...I am not a 'follower of the flock'.

I think and act alone and independantly and make my own determinations on the aforesaid subject after several years of my involvement with this 'stuff', and as a consequence I have no interest in the hype and misinformation available in the public domain.

OK, I think that's about it.