Liquid water on Mars

David Levy

If no ozone so no atmosphere factualy

The gases that be being the vapor specificaly be moving around i understand and though the atmosphere be being the oxigen hydrogen clouds be a very good example that be being a vapor and exectra

Suppose about the vaporive aspect for some reason i suppose it be being important

Astrology, what we have here is a failure to communicate. I am assuming that English is not your first language but even so it is obvious that you have a mistaken idea of what an atmosphere is. Atmosphere is not synonymous with Earth's atmosphere. You seem to be asserting that if the gases surrounding a planet do not match the ones surrounding the Earth then it has no atmosphere, nothing could be further from reality. I suggest you do a little bit of research on google and find out exactly what an atmosphere is...

Edited by Moontanman

Astrology, what we have here is a failure to communicate. I am assuming that English is not your first language but even so it is obvious that you have a mistaken idea of what an atmosphere is. Atmosphere is not synonymous with Earth's atmosphere. You seem to be asserting that if the gases surrounding a planet do not match the ones surrounding the Earth then it has no atmosphere, nothing could be further from reality. I suggest you do a little bit of research on google and find out exactly what an atmosphere is...

A atmosphere be for life as we know that and so basively that be being correct and i like that

If other planets had a atmosphere life would start there too

:rolleyes: Do you agree

Edited by Astrology

A atmosphere be for life as we know that and so basively that be be correct and i like that

No.

An atmosphere are the gases surrounding a planet. Whether that atmosphere can support life is irrelevant.

Yes it does

It also contains the atmosphere because the atmosphere shall scater away into space if it shall none obtain that ContainivePrinciple

No astrology, the ozone layers is a layer of quite rarefied gas, it "contains" nothing but is nothing but a side effect of having an atmosphere that contains oxygen and a Sun that gives off UV rays, the UV rays make the ozone, the ozone is not capable of containing anything... but it does keep most of the UV out... Gravity is what holds our atmosphere in place, not a layer of rarefied gas.

So, if Mars would move closer to the sun, it could have an atmosphere.

It has an atmosphere now.

Therefore, in order to gain an atmosphere, Mars must be closer to the Sun.

It has an atmosphere right now.

In the past Mars had an atmosphere.

And it still has one today.

Hence, it the past Mars was closer to the sun.

Um, no.

Today, Mars is further from the Sun, without an atmosphere.

How many times do I need to say it? Mars - say it with me now - has an atmosphere.

Therefore, Mars is moving outwards from the Sun.

Why is it so difficult for you?

It's not difficult, just wrong.

If no ozone so no atmosphere factualy

The gases that be being the vapor specificaly be moving around i understand and though the atmosphere be being the oxigen hydrogen clouds be a very good example that be being a vapor and exectra

Suppose about the vaporive aspect for some reason i suppose it be being important

Wrong.

A atmosphere be for life as we know that and so basively that be being correct and i like that

No. Jupiter has an atmosphere, so does Venus, Mars, Neptune, Saturn, and Uranus. The fact that ours supports life is irrelevant, as has already been pointed out.

Yes it does

It also contains the atmosphere because the atmosphere shall scater away into space if it shall none obtain that ContainivePrinciple

The ozone layer does not hold the atmosphere in, it keeps the sun's UV rays from par broiling everything on the surface with UV rays.

See there are a couple of things you need to form an ozone layer, and the first one of those is a lot of free (unbound) oxygen molecules floating around. Without that, you don't get ozone forming in the atmosphere. So you see, ozone doesn't cause the atmosphere - the atmosphere causes ozone.

Mars has not had any liquid water on its' surface for Billions of years.

There could be liquid water under the surface of Mars that occasionally breaks thru to the surface. It would freeze almost immediately upon reaching the surface.

The best bet for finding evidence for life ever existing on Mars would be by traveling under the surface thru lava tubes. I don't think Curiosity will ever do that.

To Greg

"How many times do I need to say it? Mars - say it with me now - has an atmosphere".

Greg

Try to say it slowly with yourself: ---- Mars has no atmosphere which can support a liquid water!!!

And now, try to do it faster: ---- It might have in the past. but not any more...

Edited by David Levy

:blink: AllRight suppose about this

Gravity can not support some quaities in the globe so these gases once again scatter variabley

If not for the OzoneLayer so no containment

About the MarsWaterAspect

Clouds transform into WaterRain and clouds be in the SkyAtmosphere so if no OzoneAtmosphereContainment there is no clouds

Thanks

Edited by Astrology

:blink: AllRight suppose about this

Gravity can not support some quaities in the globe so these gases once again scatter variabley

If not for the OzoneLayer so containment

No, not true, gravity holds an atmosphere, ozone has nothing to do with it...

About the MarsWaterAspect

Clouds transform into WaterRain and clouds be in the SkyAtmosphere so if no OzoneAtmosphereContainment there is no clouds

Thanks

Again no.... ozone has nothing to do with this...

To Greg

"How many times do I need to say it? Mars - say it with me now - has an atmosphere".

Greg

Try to say it slowly with yourself: ---- Mars has no atmosphere which can support a liquid water!!!

And now, try to do it faster: ---- It might have in the past. but not any more...

Actually this is not entirely accurate, there are places on Mars that has air pressure high enough for liquid water to exist for short periods of time, the bottom of deep valleys...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_on_Mars

Studies have shown that various salts present in the Martian soil could act as a kind of antifreeze—keeping water liquid well below its normal freezing point.[88][242] Some calculations suggest that tiny amounts of liquid water may be present for short periods of time (hours) in some locations.[243][244] Some researchers have calculated that when taking into consideration insolation and pressure factors that liquid water could exist in some areas for about 10% of the Martian year;[245] others estimate that water could be a liquid for only 2% of the year.[246] Either way, that may be enough liquid water to support some forms of hardy organisms. It may not take much liquid water for life; organisms have been found on Earth living on extremely thin layers of unfrozen water in below-freezing locations.[247] Research described in December 2009, showed that liquid water could form in the daytime inside of snow on Mars. As light heats ice, it may be warming up dust grains located inside. These grains would then store heat and form water by melting some of the ice. The process has been already been observed in Antarctica. Enough water may be produced for physical, chemical, and biological processes.[248][249]

To Greg

Greg

I never said it did. What's your point?

David Levy still cannot understand that the reason the moon is slowly moving away from the Earht is due to the change in angular momentum from the tidal forces, ie the orbital radius is slowly increasing. He then says the same thing is happening to Mars to move it away from the Sun compared to past times. I would think any 'tides' caused on the Sun ( it is gaseous after all ) by the tug of Mars' orbit would be obliterated by that of Jupiter, Saturn and even the Earth, Venus and Mercury which are much closer ( remember the inverse square dependance of gravity ). Tidal forces due to Mars would be negligible. Or maybe like his theory on universal expansion, matter is being created in the center of the sun and forcing everything outward.

If you were to take a chunk of the frozen ice cap of Mars and you heated it, would it sublimate like CO2 does or would it liquify. If the latter, then the atmosphere of Mars can support liquid water. Its temperature can't.

As for Astrology, I haven't a clue what he's on about.

There none be any ice on mars because it is not cold in space

YouKnow that the reason there is ice at the south and north poles of the globe is cause the ice be generated from the planets core

It be the cores energy that produces the generation the effects the water and so the water freezes and becomes ice

Mars does not have any clouds so there is no water

Suppose about it

Give some time

Thanks ;)

Edited by Astrology

Dear Moontanman

"Actually this is not entirely accurate, there are places on Mars that has air pressure high enough for liquid water toexist for short periods of time, the bottom of deep valleys"...

Let's try to see what we can see…

Mars – By Wikipedia: "Landforms visible on Mars strongly suggest that liquid water has at least at times existed on the planet's surface".

So, if we can notice this landforms from space, than we can get to the following conclutions:

1. The total quantity of water which is requested to set the landforms must be very significant.

2. The liquid water was there for quite long time in order to set the change.

3. Mars must be in its Habitable Zone to make it happen.

Therefore, if you think that "liquid water to exist for short periods of time at the bottom of deep valleys" can make these visible Landforms, than you are living in La La land….

Edited by David Levy

Dear Moontanman

"Actually this is not entirely accurate, there are places on Mars that has air pressure high enough for liquid water toexist for short periods of time, the bottom of deep valleys"...

Let's try to see what we can see…

Mars – By Wikipedia: "Landforms visible on Mars strongly suggest that liquid water has at least at times existed on the planet's surface".

So, if we can notice this landforms from space, than we can get to the following conclutions:

1. The total quantity of water which is requested to set the landforms must be very significant.

2. The liquid water was there for quite long time in order to set the change.

3. Mars must be in its Habitable Zone to make it happen.

Therefore, if you think that "liquid water to exist for short periods of time at the bottom of deep valleys" can make these visible Landforms, than you are living in La La land….

I never suggested that David, please do not put words in my mouth...

YouKnow that the reason there is ice at the south and north poles of the globe is cause the ice be generated from the planets core

It be the cores energy that produces the generation the effects the water and so the water freezes and becomes ice

Mars does not have any clouds so there is no water

Suppose about it

Give some time

Thanks ;)

Mars does have clouds...

Care to try again astrology?

http://www.solarviews.com/eng/marscld.htm

Although not as pronounced as on Earth, clouds are common features on Mars. The Martian atmosphere has only a trace of water vapor; however, the temperature and pressure is such that the atmosphere is usually close to saturation and produces clouds. Even from Earth based telescopes, clouds have been observed by transient brightening on the surface of Mars. Numerous cloud patterns have been seen from the Marineer and Viking spacecraft and have been classified into various categories (Carr, 1981; French et al. 1981):

!

Moderator Note

David Levy & Astrology

Could you both take a bit of time to read the sensible and well-thought out answers you are receiving to your questions. At present it seems that, to a greater or lesser extent, you are both ignoring the answers giving (even when backed up with links), re-asserting your ideas/guesses without elaboration, and deliberately misinterpreting the other members answers.