Perpetual motion confusion

Missbee

I'm confused - I have a hobby that prompts people to endlessly remind me that perpetual motion is impossible. And yet everything I see and know states that motion is the only constant. Umm??? So confused. Edification please.

Thanks in advance to the forum.

I am positively delighted to have found this forum. This is better than s'mores (though nothing beats a campfire for pure enjoyment).

I'm confused - I have a hobby that prompts people to endlessly remind me that perpetual motion is impossible. And yet everything I see and know states that motion is the only constant. Umm??? So confused. Edification please.

Thanks in advance to the forum.

I am positively delighted to have found this forum. This is better than s'mores (though nothing beats a campfire for pure enjoyment).

Is there anything specific about perpetual motion, or the impossibility of, that you would like to know?

You can look at this from many angles. There are thermodynamic and mechanical arguments to name two.

...And yet everything I see and know states that motion is the only constant. Umm??? So confused. Edification please.

Actually one could say that all motion is perpetual according to Newton's First Law:

Every object continues in its state of rest, or of uniform motion in a straight line, unless compelled to change that state by external forces acted upon it.
What we find is that all of the various external forces like friction, gravity, etc. eventually bring uniform motion to rest preventing such motion from continuing perpetually. If you could produce motion that is perpetually free of any and all external forces then that uniform motion would continue perpetually.

I'll just add to the above that if you somehow achieved the impossible and had motion that wasn't gradually being brought to a stop by various losses you would be unable to use it to do work. Making the motion do work (say run a generator) would result in even more slowing down and reduce the time taken to come to a stop.

It's not perpetual motion that is impossible, since you could say any random object in space is perpetually moving with respect to some reference frame or another. It is a perpetual motion machine.

A machine implies interaction and, as stated above, doing work of some sort, and there is always energy loss in such situations which means that rigging something to continuously run without an outside power source to draw from is impossible.

Working backwards, perpetual motion as a phrase has come to mean the action of this hypothetical machine rather than just constant movement. By that definition, it is impossible.

Perpetual Motion Machine is a real possibility. Please wait for few more months and this world will witness the greatest triumph of human inquiry. The mainstream researchers will be stumped and silenced for once?

Good luck with that, you’re going to need it, unless of course you really are a god. :)

Perpetual Motion Machine is a real possibility.

False. It's a very low probability, at best.

Please wait for few more months and this world will witness the greatest triumph of human inquiry.

Does this coincide with the world ending in December?

The mainstream researchers will be stumped and silenced for once?

Good question mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Our understanding of physical forces contributes to the laws of physical physics. An object in a vacuum in motion will continue in its current direction and rate of acceleration until enough force is generated to change the objects motion... Be

It won't accelerate at all unless it is experiencing a force. I think you mean continue with unchanged velocity.

• 1 month later...

Whether or not Perpetual Motion Exists?

Physicists have traditionally held that nothing exist perpetuum mobile. However this is contrary to observations because any particle ranging from Photons to Galaxies and even higher formations has to be perpetually mobile to keep its existence.

visit:

Links removed by moderator

Edited by Phi for All
Advertising links removed

Whether or not Perpetual Motion Exists?

Physicists have traditionally held that nothing exist perpetuum mobile. However this is contrary to observations because any particle ranging from Photons to Galaxies and even higher formations has to be perpetually mobile to keep its existence.

visit:

Links removed by moderator

!

Moderator Note

mahesh2006, please review the rules, especially those pertaining to not advertising your site and not hijacking threads. If wish to discuss this, do so in Speculations