Why science?

Villain

Science is one school of philosophical thought which accumulates knowledge by falsifying things and gives a honest answer by saying "we don't know" for questions which it cannot address rather than accepting biased faith based assertions as fact.

I'm trying to learn and appreciate all comments but would prefer if this was not turned it a religious debate.

I sincerely doubt the authenticity of this comment, but even if you mean it you must recognize that the thread will progress according to the organic and open thoughts of the contributors and that your personally preferred destination for the conversation is really irrelevant.

I sincerely doubt the authenticity of this comment, but even if you mean it you must recognize that the thread will progress according to the organic and open thoughts of the contributors and that your personally preferred destination for the conversation is really irrelevant.

Perhaps I should not have even attempted to show a subject and just called the thread 'why?'.

I'm in the midst of writing a research statement and the first sentence is:

"The central research interest that connects my studies across a diversity of biological systems is striving to understand the processes by which homogeneous populations diversify and eventually speciate."

The tools that I use to effectively answer my central question are generally describable as "science".

I'm trying to learn and appreciate all comments but would prefer if this was not turned it a religious debate.

Perhaps then you should not have said "Interpret the question as you would like, share your thoughts."

Interpret the question as you would like, share your thoughts.

"Science tells us what we can know, but what we can know is little, and if we forget how much we cannot know we become insensitive to many things of very great importance. Theology, on the other hand, induces a dogmatic belief that we have knowledge where in fact we have ignorance, and by doing so generates a kind of impertinent insolence towards the universe. Uncertainty, in the presence of vivid hopes and fears, is painful, but must be endured if we wish to live without the support of comforting fairy tales. It is not good either to forget the questions that philosophy asks, or to persuade ourselves that we have found indubitable answers to them. To teach how to live without certainty, and yet without being paralyzed by hesitation, is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can still do for those who study it." ~ Bertrand Russell