What are you listening to right now?

heathenwilliamduke

Great stuff.  Bach innovated in so many ways, counterpoint, modulation, four part harmony, use of dissonant chords, even in stepping back to Dorian mode and others.  Always a fan.  And provider of Bach jokes....

Why did Bach have 20 children?

Because there were no stops in his organ.

39 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Great stuff.  Bach innovated in so many ways, counterpoint, modulation, four part harmony, use of dissonant chords, even in stepping back to Dorian mode and others.  Always a fan.  And provider of Bach jokes....

Why did Bach have 20 children?

Because there were no stops in his organ.

Arf arf. 

To be fair I think all these techniques were already in existence by Bach's time, but he was the apotheosis of them all in combination. So much so that everyone wanted to go back to a simpler texture after he died and almost nobody played him for a century. There were even people of my grandparents' generation who referred to JSB as "Bach's father". I believe we have principally Mendelssohn to thank for bringing him back to the concert hall. 

When we were rehearsing the B Minor Mass, our director spent some time in one number on getting the tenors and altos to be aware of the interplay between their parts, so he got the accompanist to play just those two lines on the piano, for us to listen. We were mesmerised. I remember thinking people would pay good money to hear that played in a piano recital. And it was just 2 parts - and the inner parts at that! So the full 4 part harmony was pretty rich, dense stuff.  One can see why people wanted a change.

But Bach is an inexhaustible pleasure to sing. There's always something you hadn't spotted. He seems to write from the bass up, so the bass parts are always terrific and somehow very virile - provided you can do octave jumps easily and have three lungs. (Unlike Handel, he takes no prisoners where voices are concerned and you have to follow a line that could have been written for a string instrument or the keyboard.)    

Scars by Krizz Kaliko. My man's got a voice like red velvet cookies and cream lol

Hip-hop is so underrated because the cream doesn't rise to the top that's where you find the shit instead.