What is a friend?

TonyMcC

From time to time I receive a message that says ******* has successfully added me to their friends list. The word "successful" has me puzzled because it implies failure was possible. A reasonable assumption is that failure would be because I had declined their offer of friendship. However, since I have never been asked, I have never been able to influence this and so my assumption must be false. So, what is the procedure that should be followed as a matter of courtesy when you receive such a message? Do you have a choice when such a message arrives? I am not implying that I wish to lose any of my "friends" - in fact I feel flattered that anyone would want to list me among their friends.

From time to time I receive a message that says ******* has successfully added me to their friends list. The word "successful" has me puzzled because it implies failure was possible. A reasonable assumption is that failure would be because I had declined their offer of friendship. However, since I have never been asked, I have never been able to influence this and so my assumption must be false. So, what is the procedure that should be followed as a matter of courtesy when you receive such a message? Do you have a choice when such a message arrives? I am not implying that I wish to lose any of my "friends" - in fact I feel flattered that anyone would want to list me among their friends.

There's a setting in the profile that lets you choose whether or not friend requests need to be confirmed by you. If you have disabled this, I'm guessing that this is the way the software informs you that you've been added as a friend.

What is a friend?

Specifically,

A friend will commiserate with you.

A good friend will help you plan the revenge.

A best friend will walk beside you swinging a baseball bat, singing "Someone's going to get it". :lol:

A friend is a person who you can go to with troubles and will help you bury the body

That's a present friend, but an obvious future blackmailer.

Corpse buried, take spade

Reflect on human weakness

Play safe: kill friend too

I think what the OP meant by "what is a friend" was, when is it thought that you should add someone as a friend? After discussing many threads with them, finding them nice, and "friending" them? Do you do it as a compliment when you think their posts are well said? Do you do it only when you actually know them in real life? Or when you have spent time "chatting" online with them?

I think what the OP meant by "what is a friend" was, when is it thought that you should add someone as a friend? After discussing many threads with them, finding them nice, and "friending" them? Do you do it as a compliment when you think their posts are well said? Do you do it only when you actually know them in real life? Or when you have spent time "chatting" online with them?

Yes, in an attempt to be brief I'm afraid I worded this badly. The truth is that I wonder about the whole concept of a cyber-friend. I feel it must be very different to a "proper" friend. Someone you know ,who you like as a known person. Someone you trust and would want to help should they be in difficulties. Someone you would stand back to back with to face danger . As quite an old man I am proud to say I have a handful of true friends. I don't really get the significance and practical benefit of having, say, a couple of hundred "friends" that you don't really know on forums and sites such as Facebook. On a forum such as this is it really no more than a gesture that you like and agree with the views expressed in their posts?

Edited by TonyMcC

Yes, in an attempt to be brief I'm afraid I worded this badly. The truth is that I wonder about the whole concept of a cyber-friend. I feel it must be very different to a "proper" friend. Someone you know ,who you like as a known person. Someone you trust and would want to help should they be in difficulties. Someone you would stand back to back with to face danger . As quite an old man I am proud to say I have a handful of true friends. I don't really get the significance and practical benefit of having, say, a couple of hundred "friends" that you don't really know on forums and sites such as Facebook.

It's always flattering to know someone approves & supports the ideas you have... or if they don't agree with them, perhaps they find you eloquent, or have a particular curiosity for you.

I find the idea of internet friends strange too, when I really think about it...

Yes, in an attempt to be brief I'm afraid I worded this badly. The truth is that I wonder about the whole concept of a cyber-friend. I feel it must be very different to a "proper" friend. Someone you know ,who you like as a known person. Someone you trust and would want to help should they be in difficulties. Someone you would stand back to back with to face danger . As quite an old man I am proud to say I have a handful of true friends. I don't really get the significance and practical benefit of having, say, a couple of hundred "friends" that you don't really know on forums and sites such as Facebook. On a forum such as this is it really no more than a gesture that you like and agree with the views expressed in their posts?

I'll use it as "I like your posts a lot" from now on.