The spider on my window...

Externet

This itsy bitsy 3mm small wimpy brown creature did something never seen before.

Caught a 10mm black spider on its web, about 5 times bigger. It was a very cautious dance and wrapping from a safe distance. The victim was sort of capable of walking trough the captor web but succumbed, later approached to the abdomen end for the kill on a ten minute show.

Always considered spiders as the most intelligent animals, more than dolphins and primates, (my opinion) and now there is another facet shown, like strategy, technique and 'balls'.

Always considered spiders as the most intelligent animals

Look into jumping spiders. They show quite the array of intelligent behavior, even the small (≤3 mm) ones, much more intelligent than their webcasting cousins. I studied them for years. Fascinating.

Arachnologist?

Maybe an "amateur" arachnologist.

Jumping spiders are known as the "teddy bears" of spiderdom. I have kept several of them for study, and they make inexpensive, easy-to-manage, and interesting "pets". They display a variety of behavior that indicates a relatively high intelligence for such small creatures.

Maybe an "amateur" arachnologist.

Jumping spiders are known as the "teddy bears" of spiderdom. I have kept several of them for study, and they make inexpensive, easy-to-manage, and interesting "pets". They display a variety of behavior that indicates a relatively high intelligence for such small creatures.

maybe the "after man" civilization will be social spiders.....

Look into jumping spiders. They show quite the array of intelligent behavior, even the small (≤3 mm) ones, much more intelligent than their webcasting cousins. I studied them for years. Fascinating.

When I was a kid, maybe seven or eight years old, a bunch of us found a Phidippus audax in my sister's family room (they're fairly common where I live). We all gathered around it and moved in as close as we dared, not really knowing what kind of spider this hairy little thing was.

As we stared at it, suddenly it vanished. We were all stunned and no one said anything for a couple of seconds, each of us convinced we were the only ones who couldn't see it. Finally, one of us said, "Did it just disappear?" We all looked at each other in disbelief and then I saw it on top of the head of my cousin next to me. Everybody freaked out!

We were told later that it was a jumping spider. Man, that thing didn't so much as twitch a muscle, I'd swear it!

There was a nice experiment with jumping spiders (Portia sp., I think), in which they were allowed to see a prey within a three-dimensional maze (a bit like a tree-thing). They were able to more or less memorize the layout and maneuver through the labyrinth to get to the prey.

The topic seems to be drifting away to your own experiences with spiders.

Well, just recently, I was peddling to my school on my cycle.

Everyone on the road were giving looks which seemed to be of amazement towards my handle. I was a bit suspicious about that. Just then I saw a dangling yellow coloured BIG SPIDER in the handle bar. I dropped down and when I opened my eyes I came running here. :P