Please Vote (for the sake of my Current Politics project)!

Encrypted

Should the U.K release all female Iraqi prisoners to have Ken Bigley back safe?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should the U.K release all female Iraqi prisoners to have Ken Bigley back safe?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Hello,

I needed to survey a group of people for their opinion on some current political problem. I decided to do the one on Ken Bigley, since it is quite controversial.

Please give your vote here and your reason if you'd like. I will give a full bibliography(so if you post your opinion and the reason for it, and i decide to include it in my project you will be mentioned in the bibliography.)

Encrypted

P.S This is for Socials Class, and I have two weeks left! So vote, vote, vote!

And may i also ask Blike or Sayanora to make it so that this post is always first.

Encrypted, while it may sound trite, you can't give in to terrorists. Period. If you do it once, it proves that kidnapping (or whatever tactic they are using) works. If they feel the tactic works, they will continue to use it.

Also, if you give in, at some point in the future you eventually have to say "No". i.e. They demand changes to the internal policies of your nation. (Note this was a recent demand of kidnappers concerning the French internal policies.)

Where will you draw the line? How will you explain to the relatives of the hostage that you gave in before to save lives but refuse to do it now?

It must be made clear that the tactic of taking hostages will not work and therefore should be abandoned as unproductive.

Posting the same poll in more than one thread is counter-productive.

People will generally vote in one or the other, then one gets deleted - so you lose some of your results. Or people vote for opposing options to deliberately mess up your results.

i voted no because you cannot give into terrorism, if we give over the prisoners the terrorists will think, right this seems to work, lets release this guy [hostage] capture another one and release all of our friends in jail!

you cannot give into terrorism like that, once you give in to their demands or are scared of them, thats when they have won.

terrorists do not get what they want. for global safety it must stay that way.

Encrypted, while it may sound trite, you can't give in to terrorists. Period. If you do it once, it proves that kidnapping (or whatever tactic they are using) works. If they feel the tactic works, they will continue to use it.

This is faulty logic. If for not other reason then because they have already kidnapped, and beheaded people, and did not get their way. So they try it again, and again, and again.

Its a catch 22, I understand what you mean in that "they see their method works", however, if their method does not work, they continue to try, try again.

I think they should be released, however, not allowed in the middle east. Release them on some sort of probation, house arrest type thing, in like, South Carolina.

I voted Other.

we should waste them and publish it on the internet too, it seems to be the only language they understand, and if they they want to play hard ball, maybe they`ll think twice if we play back!, it`ll shock the crap out of them for a start!

ok, so maybe 2 wrongs don`t make a right, I know this, BUT it`ll buy "pause for thought"!

Terrorism is as old as society. As long as their have been a group of prosperous people, and another group of not so prosperous people, we've been killing one another.

I don't think there is an answer to defeating terrorism. All we can truly do is defend against it. Even if we someday conquer all of Al queda, there will be another group to take its place.

you know YT, thats a halfway good idea. However, with our special effects in movies, we should just make it appear we wasted them. Make some Hellboy looking super soldier come in a shred what looks like the ppl.

THen they can fear our new soldier, and what he will do to them if they do not stop. And still put the womens on probation in South Carolina.

oh ya, I'm the other other.

Sorry, but isn't that grossly sexist?

i think he meant "only the female prisoners" to mean "only some of them," as in its not like were releasing EVERY prisoner, not "hey they're just women..."

and YT, thats my general belief, but no one i talk to seems to agree with me... something about "just making more terrorists" (?)

I suspect the terrorists don’t really expect the women to be released. There are only two of them and both of them were Saddam’s lackeys.

I think they’re doing this for the PR value, trying to show less-informed Muslims they are protecting Muslim womanhood from Godless heretics.

If anything I feel worse for Bigley than for the two Americans who were executed. They were killed fairly quickly. Bigley’s being led to believe that there is at least a hope if he pleads hard enough, abjectly enough…

There is no hope. This is only another form of torture carried out on the world stage instead of a darkened police room.

I voted yes because, no one has the right to go into any country.

There were no nuclear nor chemical weapons (for masive destruction), so the ****ing terrorist at my eyes are the ****ing american army and the ****ing british army and spanish one, and the people that supported that.

Then who are the terrorist.

That topic make me sick.

Why did american army did not search for "Bin Laden" and that stuff....?

because..... the petroleum....