It's not an attractive layout

Do you like the layout?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the default, forum layout

• I like the new layout and think it should be the default layout
    • I don't like the new layout and think it should be reverted
    • No, and I think we need a new layout different from both the newest and the old SFN layout
    • No, I just don't like the new layout and got no more input than that
    • Yeah, I like the new layout; and that's all I have in terms of opinions
    • I could go for either layout; I'm really indecisive/non-caring about it

I am really liking the new layout so far. Especially the cool new logo, props to Mooeypoo and others on it. As for the ads sticking out, I really haven't noticed them at all. All in all I really like it. :)

With this new layout you cannot look at your old posts and threads .It is not easy to use .I'm use to so many vBulletin software .Has so many message board use vBulletin .

Well phpBB is not bad but I like vBulletin look and feel.It clean and simple to use and once you go to one web site that use vBulletin and you go to other web site that use vBulletin it has the same look and feel.

]

Unfortunately new releases of vBulletin are almost unusable, and IPB is an easier software to run and manage.

I'm fairly certain you can view your old posts and threads; go to your name in the upper right, click on it, and there's a drop-down with a My Content link that shows you your posts and threads. (To the top right of the thread list is a drop-down that lets you see your threads or posts.)

We'll just have to get used to the new software. It'll take some time. Feel free to ask if you can't find something or something's gone wrong.

I noticed Genecks and I had 3 little square shaped dots under our avatars earlier which I presumed was the rep...that's disappeared this visit.

Kudos to the guys involved with the new logo...very nice with a good 'visual' message. :)

Under Swansont's avatar it says 'Staff'. I think it should say 'Physics Expert/Moderator' as before so he and staff with similar status don't have to keep telling new posters what they are.

I think the board titles and descriptions should be expanded out like the old layout. The thing I have circled in this image should be like this by default. I think you ought to let users have a crunched layout if they like. Furthermore, the orange isn't working out. This ain't Ubuntu. I think it may be the orange that makes the Google Ads stick out more. I replaced it with the color from the "n" in (n) of SFN.

I think the icons for the boards need to be changed. They are bulky and somewhat non-descriptive. Usage of the atom cage (w/e it's called--too early for me) seems like a nice replacement.

I think the old color scheme is something that should be adhered to. Not as a form of tradition, but as a way of keeping this SFN. Kind of how McDonalds still uses Ronald McDonald as the spokesperson. I can't find a word for it, but it's kind of how you know who the Green Ranger is, because he's wearing green when not in uniform. Anyway...

screenshot52v.png

Yup, I agree completely about the post icons. It's on the list already, I really don't like the default ones either. However, we thought it was more important to get everything over to IPB and then continue a process of refinement from the input of you guys than waste lots more time on an and old (and unpatched) version of vBulletin.

I believe Moontanman's on dial-up, so that may be an issue.

I've worked a bit to make sure everything that can be served in a compressed form is, and the server even notifies the browser that it's allowed to save a copy of avatars, stylesheets, etc., so the browser doesn't have to download them again.

After the first page load, things should be pretty fast.

It's premature to criticize the changes for three reasons; Those involved certainly have done so with good intentions, I'm sure there is and will be problems that will get ironed out and getting use to any new system can be uncomfortable. I remember when Poker Sites made some major changes a few years back, I almost dropped out, but after awhile, the system ended up better and became more enjoyable.

As Moon, my initial thoughts fall to navigating the system, dial up having little to do with anything and I'm on dial up. Navigation will be a problem, until getting familiar is accomplished, but I do think you have changed what was the easiest forum model to work with, or maybe changed to many 'wordings'.

If you do find certain areas hard to navigate or confusingly worded, give me the details and I can take a look. I can always make adjustments.

For those on dial-up, I've tried to make the site faster to load by compressing pages and letting your computer cache frequently-used images. You can also open your browser's options and allocate more space to the cache, which will save you from downloading things over and over again; in Firefox, that setting is in Advanced->Network in the Options dialog.

If you do find certain areas hard to navigate or confusingly worded, give me the details and I can take a look. I can always make adjustments.

For those on dial-up, I've tried to make the site faster to load by compressing pages and letting your computer cache frequently-used images. You can also open your browser's options and allocate more space to the cache, which will save you from downloading things over and over again; in Firefox, that setting is in Advanced->Network in the Options dialog.

For those with slow computers and/or internet connections the Chrome browsers are fastest at rendering. Google Chrome or SRWare Iron if one has reservations about Google's tracking/privacy policy. I use Iron which seems to be noticeably quicker than FF but it's not so customisable...the more responsive feel and faster rendering/scrolling makes up for it for my purposes.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

If you do find certain areas hard to navigate or confusingly worded, give me the details and I can take a look. I can always make adjustments.[/Quote]

I'm trying to catch on and am not sure how to explain my problem. It appears what happens on a good many business/forums sites, had not been happening here, is now happening here. I've felt it was google causing some problems with their adv., where if I click my next move too fast the system just shuts down. To describe this, the page goes pale, non responsive to anything including exiting the site. I've learned how to bring out MS/IE, for a check (reason can't exit) and shut down of the site, but have never received the promised resolution, I use to shut down the computer (re-boot) and that solved the problem. I'll just try and being a little more patient and should be moving to a place this fall, where I can have HS Cable installed. What has always confused me is when on Poker Site/Scottrade/Jarte Word Processing (assumed on their hardware programs) nothing like this ever happens. I'm not sure it's related but my Norton Security System is picking up a few more tracking bugs than usual, but nothing setting off a warning...

My name is on the left and there is no drop down menu , Also I have no small profile picture like you do on your right.

When I click on my profile it seems to be so different and only show week log file of my activity. :(

What does the watch this topic icon do at the top of this thread next to the reply icon and start new topic icon?

My name is on the left and there is no drop down menu , Also I have no small profile picture like you do on your right.

Click the small user_popup.png icon by anyone's name and you'll get a drop-down with their details and useful links.

If you'd like an avatar, you can visit the Change Avatar page in your settings.

When I click on my profile it seems to be so different and only show week log file of my activity. :(

There's some tabs:

Screen shot 2010-07-14 at 3.02.44 PM.png

You can flit between them to get different views - status updates, About, recent topics, and so on.

What does the watch this topic icon do at the top of this thread next to the reply icon and start new topic icon?

It'll notify you of new replies to that topic. Take a look at the Intro to the New SFN for more details on this.

You can flit between them to get different views - status updates, About, recent topics, and so on

Yes there is some icons one is topics and other posts but when I click on it well it only shows a week log file of my posts or thread.It is hard to explain you would have to look at it.

Has for the status updates next to the posts icon and topic icon no idea what the status updates do.

Yes there is some icons one is topics and other posts but when I click on it well it only shows a week log file of my posts or thread.It is hard to explain you would have to look at it.

Has for the status updates next to the posts icon and topic icon no idea what the status updates do.

That's what the buttons are supposed to do. If you want to find every post you've made, ever, or every thread you've made, ever, use the Find My Content link on the left of your profile.

Status updates are a sort of social aspect to the forum. You can post anything -- what you're up to, what you're thinking about, whatever -- and other members can comment. It's pointless, really, but it builds the community by letting you converse with other members.