Music: What gets you rockin?

Thales

Just out of curiosity what type of music fo you guys/gals like?

I find all to often 'popular' music is what the record companies tell us to be popular and rarely reflects intelligent people choice in aural enjoyment.

Personally I am a big fan of Breakbeat(also sometimes called Nu-skool) which is basically electronic music built around a syncopated or 'broken' beat (see Freestylers, Stanton Warriors, Rennie Pilgrem etc.). I like a fair bit of Drum and Bass also (Aphrodite and the like). Nothing like phat worbling bass with crazy drum loops to sooth the soul.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think record companies influence my choice of music, simply because I have NEVER ever paid for any music !

I love alternative rock :Linkin Park, Limp bizkit, lost prophets, incubus, blink182, hoobastank.........

I also love classical rock in metallica and maiden, apart from those I am a big time nirvana fan.

anything but country music. More into metal, some rap, classical music (much like metal IMO) and the only pop I like is the bands that I listen to before they became pop. Linkin Park for instance, I've been following them since they were known as "Hybrid Theory".

Jordan......chillax

Maybe its because music is a big part of peoples lives, people who may not have time to read through the archives after joining the site...that and its something interesting non-sci to chat about???

Anyways tis an interesting cross section, lots of old school rockers in here.

PS. Wasn't Linkim Parks album called Hybrid Theory, I didn't realise they were ever called hybrid theory though...

Before they went mainstream they were called Hybrid Theory. It is hard to find any info about it. But they chose to change names when going mainstream, and used the old band name as the album. There is an album floating around in p2p land, "Splitting the DNA" it has never been released to my knowledge, has some very interesting twists to their songs, and some songs you may not have ever heard.

I guess I should mentioned Iced Earth, In Flames, and ratm.

Jordan......chillax

Maybe its because music is a big part of peoples lives' date=' people who may not have time to read through the archives after joining the site...that and its something interesting non-sci to chat about???[/quote']

I wasn't being critical or anything. You often see links to other threads so we can continue those rather than having multiple 10-post threads. It's just that with a site that's over 2 years old, you've got to think music has been talked about already and a quick search brings up all those threads I posted. Since I saw the thread early, I thought I'd post a few links so we could continue the discussion there, but it seems not to have happened. And if the wording made it sound like I was annoyed or anything, I only chose it so I could have 1 link per word and that was the first sentence I came up with.

Hard Rock (Metallica), Classical (shostachovich), Techno (Darude), Hip-Hop (Linkin Park), Alternative Rock (Evanescence), Something different (Peter Gabriel), new age rock (Dream Theatre)...and some other stuff like Creed, Celldweller, Crossfade, Sev, and a whole lot of other basically unknown bands.

Linkin Park hasn't been around that long (even though they have released three albums) it is understandable for one to have not heard them.

And Linkin Park may not be specifically hip hop, but their music certainly has some hip hop elements. Check out High Voltage. Also, if all you ever heard was their 2nd release, you'd be inclined to believe they were exclusively rap, for the most part.

ahh, primer 55, Hed P.E., Meshuggah, Deicide, Switch (Not switchfoot)...