Firefox vs Internet Explorer

inamorata

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately I'm having a problem accessing certain features here at SFN (smilies, quote tags, hyperlink buttons, etc). Is this a problem with my upgrade to Firefox 1.0 or are others having similar problems?

Not having any problems like that.

For instance, I can access the Search feature but I can't get the Thread Tools, Search this Thread, Rate Thread, or Display Modes to work. I can put the embarrassed smiley above my post but I can't get the smileys to work in the body of the text. None of the text buttons like Bold, Italics and underline work. I have to use brackets for all the other functions instead of being able to highlight and wrap with a click.

Frustrating. Other than the 1.0 upgrade, I can't think of anything else I've changed lately. I have this nagging suspicion it's something stupid I've switched off or changed but I can't think of anything I might have done.

I just noticed that the Quick Links doesn't work either. It's the only link I can't access from the main menu bar.

Not having any problems like that.
Sounds like either javascript or vbscript is turned off in your FF installation's options.
Weird. :confused: I went back to 0.9.3' date=' that didn't help, reinstalled 1.0, still didn't help. :-( Had some lunch, came back and now it all seems to work! :eek:Bush is a liar. Yep, it's all good now, baby. :D

certian sites dont seem to work on firefox. like natwest online banking you dont get the roll over menu on the rite hand side. and even on SFN when you hover over the threads name your meant to get the thread content. but along with it you get some random stuff

certian sites dont seem to work on firefox. like natwest online banking you dont get the roll over menu on the rite hand side. and even on SFN when you hover over the threads name your meant to get the thread content. but along with it you get some random stuff

That "random stuff" is a misinterpretation of a line break or some other character that is not intended for use in the title or alt attributes of HTML tags. This is not a problem with Firefox, it's a problem with developers (I.E. vBulletin) misusing the HTML spec.

Since Mozilla is a fully W3C-compliant browser, sites that don't work properly in it are not worth visiting (unless of course you really have to use it, in which case try Opera before you try IE).

On this topic, I have to say I've not had to use IE for a page in months. The support for designs of webpages used to be quite lousy not so long ago, but it's improved greatly.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Venomousity!

I've just got Firefox recently and I'm currently using Dreamweaver to create a website.

My website isn't up on the web as of yet. When I preview my website in IE everything is placed perfectly ... BUT ... when I preview it in Firefox, a few things aren't correctly placed.

Could anyone tell me why? ... AND ... what I could do about it please?

Thanks! :)

I've just got Firefox recently and I'm currently using Dreamweaver to create a website.

My website isn't up on the web as of yet. When I preview my website in IE everything is placed perfectly ... BUT ... when I preview it in Firefox' date=' a few things aren't correctly placed.

Could anyone tell me why? ... AND ... what I could do about it please?

Thanks! :)[/quote']

I had the same problem but the other way around. I think it just is how the parsers are and how it decides to lay everything out.

Guest Venomousity!

Hmm ok then. Thanks.

Do you know anyway around it at all? ... or is it just how it is?

(I'm sure there must be some way around it).

Thanks...

I don't know. It's a windows mystery.

I tried uninstalling IE (as the super galactic court told them they had to make possible) and all it did was hide all the shortcuts. I disabled IE forcibly, and Messenger etc subsequently refused to work.

So it's clearly something devious.

Try some relevant newsgroups maybe?

"Design for Mozilla, Firefox or Opera, then use fixes to ensure IE displays the page in a sufficiently similar fashion."

Sayonara, that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard. if you're a designer, you design for internet explorer unless your employer specifies otherwise. period.

Hardly any serious companies would take firefox as seriously as IE, because internet explorer is still by far the most widely used internet browser.

You might think it's cool to use it personally, and hey that's fine I have no problem with that and firefox does have great qualities and may in fact be better than IE, but the fact of the matter is that IE is more widely used so a designer should design for IE.

I don't like it how many people's computer resolutions are 800 by 600 (in fact i despise it) but as a designer i have to cater for them or else my client will potentially lose business because of my bias, and the same should be applied for those who like firefox too.

IE is the one that doesn't display it properly. Besides, it doesn't make much of a difference. I have NEVER seen a site that displays differently on both (more than maybe an icon a bit off or something) and so I doubt it makes a difference.

Design for FF, more people use it.

PS: Never say that anything Sayo says is crap, because that's a good way to get on his bad side.

Sayonara, that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard. if you're a designer, you design for internet explorer unless your employer specifies otherwise. period.

Well, maybe you just didn't read Venomousity!'s post. He has a copy of DW and he wants to make a web page - he's not trying to win the contract for frelling Microsoft TechNet.

And since I do not work for a design company either, I am not going to apologise to you for your making-up-in-head of attributes I don't have.

Hardly any serious companies would take firefox as seriously as IE, because internet explorer is still by far the most widely used internet browser.

I don't see how that is in any way relevant to me telling an amateur the fastest way to ensure cross-browser compatibility.

You might think it's cool to use it personally, and hey that's fine

Actually I use it because it is standards-compliant, secure, and includes the features that I want to use.

I have no problem with that and firefox does have great qualities and may in fact be better than IE, but the fact of the matter is that IE is more widely used so a designer should design for IE.

The reams and reams and reams of pages on design web sites, standards web sites, tutorial web sites etc disagree with you. Design for compliancy, design for accessibility, design for platform independence, they all scream. MSIE is the only browser that makes life difficult in these respects.

The 1 reason you have given for companies asking that you design for IE is exactly why you ought to be an evangelist of compliant browsers. It doesn't matter if you prefer coding for Mozilla, FF, Opera, Konqueror or Safari - chances are that if your pages are compliant they will appear the same in all of them.

Since you describe yourself as a designer, perhaps it would be an idea to keep your ear to the ground of the web.

When people like Sir Tim Berners-Lee are calling for better support of W3 standards, Slashdot is reporting on the sudden drop in the MSIE browsing share, and new devices that use Opera instead of the mobile version of IE are selling like hot cakes, anyone coding just for IE is going to learn very quickly why we have standards.

http://www.alistapart.com/topics/browsers/2/

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-di-princ-20030901/

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/29/140200&tid=109&tid=17

The argument you are making is to do with profitability and getting the clients. It has nothing to do with good design principles and is devoid of any understanding of the nature of the beast. Or of course you could actually be under the belief that the web only comprises sites made by design companies (ha ha ha).

Check out any in-house production from a large corporation, or any education or government web site, and I guarantee they will use either completely cross-compatible code, or the old voice-inherit trick in the CSS to make IE work properly.

Perhaps next time you will make the effort to ensure your response has anything at all to do with what you are responding to.

Design for FF, more people use it.

Unfortunately that's not true. MSIE still has the largest share, although the figure is dropping.

Their share is indicative of market processes rather than the usefulness of the browser.

PS: Never say that anything Sayo says is crap, because that's a good way to get on his bad side.

That's not enough to get on my bad side, especially in this case where SubJunk was not technically disagreeing with me but with some random scenario that wasn't the issue at hand.

Oh I see.

It's not so much that they should be designed "for Firefox", rather that they should be standards compliant.

When I suggested specifically that Venomousity! should design for FF, that was because he stated it was the browser he was using. He'll find it easier to make a compliant web site work in IE than he would find it to make a web site that works in IE, then fix it for all other browsers.

.... Look everyone, i had by 2 years a web hosting/desing company, and for compatibilities, dreamweaver is not GOD HAND CREATOR, its a designer that aids yo to make the WYSIWYG and another stuff, but for compatibility, i would suggest for the ones that have problemas TO STUDY A LITTTLE HTML please..... is like wanting to make bombs without knowning chemistry.

The thing here is that php and html are compatible... there just different ways to interprete orders in those browsers (MSIE and Netscape compilants) please if you study some html you'll quickly solve them.