Firefox vs Internet Explorer

inamorata

First comment: Dreamweaver has been radically overhauled in the MX versions and now supports standards compliancy. It will highlight problems with your HTML, XHTML, PHP (or whichever language you are using), even point out problems in external CSS files. It will also tell you which browsers support the attributes you are using, and has a massive tag reference library.

Second comment: I already know the HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.1 and CSS2 specifications backwards and forwards. This does not change the fact that some things cannot be done in all browsers in the same way, so "study some HTML" is not a very good solution.

Although I absolutely agree with you that the best thing about the web is also the worst thing about the web: anyone can "make" a web page.

I don't think web designers ought to be making comments on what lies in the prevue of web developers either.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that an indirect :P.

What i mean, is that the things that are incompatible may be done in another way to make them compatible. (get the result you want). or tell me what can't you do for 2 browsers.

What i try to set, is that one cannot be around complaining about it doesn't fit when i see it in firefox.

The things can be done with knowledge, and i am not going to teach somebody, something that he can learn reading the manuals. (not talking about you)

Tell me one problem you have had with browsers incompatibilities?

Was that an indirect :P.

Not at all. Well, not to you anyway ;)

What i mean, is that the things that are incompatible may be done in another way to make them compatible. (get the result you want). or tell me what can't you do for 2 browsers.

Yes, but if the same valid HTML displays differently between two browsers, knowing all the HTML doesn't actually help.

Tell me one problem you have had with browsers incompatibilities?

Check out the solution I had to use on my homepage - one stylesheet for compliant browsers (well, two really - one of them contains style definitions that are valid in all browsers), and extra style sheets to separately accomodate IE5 and IE6. As well as some javascript.

IE interprets margins in a completely different way to all other browsers (which, incidentally, manage to agree with each other). It also has issues with absolute positioning. In short, it's a bit of a disaster.

Rather than making IE comply properly with CSS2, MicroSoft went ahead in their own style and created "dynamic properties", to try and nudge developers into doing things their way, and force yet another paradigm shift in the industry. Same old story.

• 3 weeks later...
IE is the one that doesn't display it properly. Besides' date=' it doesn't make much of a difference. I have NEVER seen a site that displays differently on both (more than maybe an icon a bit off or something) and so I doubt it makes a difference.

Design for FF, more people use it.

PS: Never say that anything Sayo says is crap, because that's a good way to get on his bad side.[/quote']

First and foremost, if I think something someone says is crap I'll tell them. It doesn't mean I have a problem with them personally, people are allowed to differ in opinion, if they weren't we wouldn't have forums in the first place. Sayonara³ is mature and can take it I'm sure.

I believe it's a good idea to make a website as compatable as you can to every browser. What I'm saying is that if I have a choice of something working in IE or something working in FireFox (not both) I'll choose IE every time. If FireFox ever starts to dominate the market, or become equal to IE in terms of how many people use it, I may start designing in FireFox.

You recently had problems on my site in FireFox where the custom scrollbar and custom cursor didn't work. I havn't got around to fixing these yet.

One problem I've had with FireFox/Mozilla compatability is with flash animations in php.

I'm not saying which is the best browser or not, I wouldn't know because I've never tried anything other than IE and Safari, but it wouldn't make any difference to my designing if I thought FireFox was a billion times better than IE.

Sayonara³, when i said "if you're a designer" etc, I meant if anyone is a designer, I didn't think you were, I should have clarified that.

But yeah, I realise now that I was posting something irrelevant to the quote, but I feel it's a good point all the same.

Well yeah, if you're under contract to deliver a web site and the client wants it to reach as many people as possible as soon as possible, I can see why you'd pick IE.

However I'd have a problem then with (a) the ethics of not informing the client that around %10 of their customers will be landing on their site, experiencing problems, and not bothering to come back, and (b) the fact that no effort was made to allow cross-compatibility when the truth is that virtually all differences between browsers and W3 implementations are documented in exruciating detail.

But then of course a lot of companies are just out to make a buck or two.

On the subject of Firefox, the first production release is now out. It's definitely worth noting that this browser is so good, it stole 6% of the market share from Microsoft alone while it was still in beta.

Bloodhound, I am fairly sure you can turn off the "go" button as I have never had it displaying on my FF browser. If you can't find it in options, type about:config in the address bar and see if there are any registers for the interface.

also when you download a file now it creates two files...... while before it used to only 1 .part file which changes to the normal file after download completion. desktop looks messed up with so many files

You should always check the FF support forums whenever there is a new release.

I am sure there will be a fix for this already, if not there will at least be an explanation.

yes we are in agreeance that a web designer should make websites firefox compatable when possible. I'm interested in firefox now so when i get home i'll download it, you may have converted me.

If, as I've read here, you make something in firefox it has no problems in IE that will be great too. All I've been trying to say is that IE should be priority in terms of compatability :)

• 2 weeks later...
i dont like the way there is a massive Go button after the address bar. i mean noone uses it anyway. why keep it there? is there a way to get rid of the text "Go" or the button altogether?

lol

right click on the toolbar with File, Edit, ..., then click on customize

Then click & drag the GO button off.

btw: has anyone d/l the new update?

i dont like the way there is a massive Go button after the address bar. i mean noone uses it anyway. why keep it there? is there a way to get rid of the text "Go" or the button altogether?

lol

right click on the toolbar with File, Edit, ..., then click on customize

lol

right click on the toolbar with File' date=' Edit, ..., then click on customize

Surely you mean month old update?

Everyone ought to be using release 1.0 by now, not the preview release or any version of the beta.

lol

right click on the toolbar with File' date=' Edit, ..., then click on customize

Surely you mean month old update?

Everyone ought to be using release 1.0 by now, not the preview release or any version of the beta.