Different Media Takes on Pew "Sexting" Study

Pangloss

The release of a Pew Research study on cellphone sex-texting by teens produced an eye-opening variety of responses from the media. A quick glance at these two widely diverging interpretations from two computer news magazines seems to bracket the range of responses pretty well:

PCWorld:

Sexting Study Finds Few Teens Participate

CNet:

'Sexting' common among teens, survey says

Other outlets tried to take a more objective view, such as this article at National Public Radio:

Study: 15 Percent Of Teens With Cells Receive 'Sexts'

And then of course there's MSNBC, nit-picking the data to find the most potentially terrifying numbers for parents:

Nearly 1 in 3 older teens gets 'sexting' messages

Nice! It's funny to watch this sort of thing in action sometimes. I don't know that there's anything particularly surprising or revealing about this example, but I think it illustrates the simple fact that news is a business. What do you all think?

Edited by Pangloss
Removed bad link

The release of a Pew Research study on cellphone sex-texting by teens produced an eye-opening variety of responses from the media. A quick glance at these two widely diverging interpretations from two computer news magazines seems to bracket the range of responses pretty well:

PCWorld:

Sexting Study Finds Few Teens Participate

CNet:

'Sexting' common among teens, survey says

Other outlets tried to take a more objective view, such as this article at National Public Radio:

Study: 15 Percent Of Teens With Cells Receive 'Sexts'

And then of course there's MSNBC, nit-picking the data to find the most potentially terrifying numbers for parents:

Nearly 1 in 3 older teens gets 'sexting' messages

Nice! It's funny to watch this sort of thing in action sometimes. I don't know that there's anything particularly surprising or revealing about this example, but I think it illustrates the simple fact that news is a business. What do you all think?

http://news.google.com/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&topic=t&ncl=dRlr3pKeSrX-7kM-K5v_2shFIjoeM

um, being of that age, i can tell you that most teens do get involved in 'sexting'. in fact, you would be hard pressed to find someone at my school who doesn't.:cool:

Another good reason not to let my daughter have a mobile phone.

Indeed it is. My parents didn't get me a phone until 3 months ago, when I started my junior year of college.

And like hell I was going to pay 50$ a month for such a thing. ;)

Edited by A Tripolation

well, you can't assume every teenager is going to do it. But you cant also assume that every teenager is not. I guess it's a personal choice on the parent's part. From my perspective, it doesn't seem nearly as bad. But I can also see where a parent would have a problem. oh well.

I think it's a tempest in a tea pot, i can remember when Polaroid was the rage, lots of girls took nudes of themselves and each other guys did too, it didn't ruin any lives or make anyone go bad. I think most of the problem is the media trying blow smoke up peoples skirts to get their attention.

Dunno. I'd see the great challenge in parenting to be raising a child that doesn't ever fall in that 15%.

But then I've never actually had to raise a kid, so I may be idealistic and/or naive.

(On the other hand, I have listened to conversations on the school bus where middle school girls [ages 13 or so] talk about having sex with their boyfriends and sending pictures of themselves in lingerie around. That was... interesting. Oh, and the parents' response when they discovered their daughter sent pictures of herself in lingerie to some guy? Take away the phone for a month! That really works in instilling good values in your child, I'm sure.)

Dunno. I'd see the great challenge in parenting to be raising a child that doesn't ever fall in that 15%.

But then I've never actually had to raise a kid, so I may be idealistic and/or naive.

(On the other hand, I have listened to conversations on the school bus where middle school girls [ages 13 or so] talk about having sex with their boyfriends and sending pictures of themselves in lingerie around. That was... interesting. Oh, and the parents' response when they discovered their daughter sent pictures of herself in lingerie to some guy? Take away the phone for a month! That really works in instilling good values in your child, I'm sure.)

For a teenage girl, a month without a phone is a month without friends. I know the feeling (minus the girl part).

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I think it's a tempest in a tea pot, i can remember when Polaroid was the rage, lots of girls took nudes of themselves and each other guys did too, it didn't ruin any lives or make anyone go bad. I think most of the problem is the media trying blow smoke up peoples skirts to get their attention.

also, the ability to make it available to all your friends. if i get a pic, i can have it on the internet and around the school/web/world in a matter of minutes.

A cell phone doesn't make teenagers act like teenagers, nor does restricting one prevent them from so doing. If you think you can overcome the power of hormones coupled with a lack of life experience by restricting a piece of technology which is so ubiquitous, then I fear you are mistaken.

Teach your girl how to make smart decisions (or, in your case, continue teaching her such things) and that will ameliorate the threats posed by any circumstances which life can present to her.

But all it did was make the girl hate her parents, rather than teaching her to make better decisions in the future.

The punishment of taking the phone away needs to go hand in hand with the lesson. I mean, if I had gotten lectures every time I did something wrong, and no punishment...I really don't see how I would've had any incentive to...you know...not do that wrong thing again.

Her parents obviously just punished her without talking to her about it. A poor choice indeed.

I am a twenty year old male and trust me, sexting is a common thing. From my experience I would think that atleast half of teens participate. I know this evidence is anecdotal, but consider me a primary source. I guess if you have daughters I would be the guy you love to hate.

Once she's a teenager, though, imparting values via lecture just makes her think you're boring and get annoyed. You have to do it far earlier than the teenage years.

Wait...what? As a kid, a lecture would do even less, imo.

I am a twenty year old male and trust me, sexting is a common thing. From my experience I would think that atleast half of teens participate. I know this evidence is anecdotal, but consider me a primary source. >:D

You are what I consider to be an anomaly. Most people our age don't engage in such activities that are so juvenile (no offense toasty, I think you're awesome ;) ). I may be wrong, but I don't think half of 20 year olds do this...but then again, maybe I'm a lot more out of touch with contemporary society than I think I am. :D

The simplest explanation tends to be correct more often than not. ;)

:D

I honestly think the simpler explanation is a result of people only seeing what they want to see, ie, young adults that haven't grown up and still participate in "scandalous" activities. They latch onto these minorities, and then paint our entire age group as engaging in such things.

I think most people our age are looking for more long term relationships, which aren't built on things like sexting.

But then again...I'm a sexual deviant, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much here. ;)

Btw, what the heck is your avatar? A fish that got a...ribbon stuck through it's skull? Like a christmas present?

Wait...what? As a kid, a lecture would do even less, imo.

I've always thought that teenagers, especially ones about 13 years old, are basically impervious to any logic or reasoning from their parents about moral choices. At least the types I saw talking about having sex with their boyfriends certainly were. If you're going to instill a respect of parents and a moral foundation, you have to start young -- you can't just tell a teenager "no, that's bad" and expect them to believe you.

(...he says, as a teenager.)

I am a twenty year old male and trust me, sexting is a common thing. From my experience I would think that atleast half of teens participate. I know this evidence is anecdotal, but consider me a primary source. I guess if you have daughters I would be the guy you love to hate.

But in all probability you have a biased sample (the problem with anecdotal stuff). Wouldn't the fact that you have a cellphone and participate in the "sexting" thing automatically mean that your friends are likely to be doing the same?

Btw, what the heck is your avatar? A fish that got a...ribbon stuck through it's skull? Like a christmas present?

This serves only as further evidence of the validity of the point presented by me in post #15 made this thread.

It's a darwin fish... with a santa hat.

its a darwin fish with a santa hat.

And btw, my school is on the high end of these statistics. I would say probably 65-70% of the students are involved or have been involved in sexting.

Well, whatever the real statistics are, I think we can all agree that the best thing to do is treat it as the gravest threat imaginable. Lock up your children, write to your congressman, burn down some Verizon stores. Because really, won't somebody please think of the children?