physicsforums.com?

toastywombel

I'm a member but I haven't posted there in years. Great site but it's so huge that I had no sense of community.

Alright, thanks for the feed back, good to know. Yeah it is better to be able feel a sense of community. SFN does really well at accomplishing this.

Alright, thanks for the feed back, good to know. Yeah it is better to be able feel a sense of community. SFN does really well at accomplishing this.

That's what SHE said!

Uh, I mean, I'm a member there, but I've not posted in years.

I'm more active at Physics Forums than I am here. For one thing, the community is larger there, and that makes the knowledge base a bit broader and considerably deeper, particularly in the realms of physics and engineering. The engineering section here has a paltry 741 threads, and very few of those have anything to do with engineering.

For another, crackpots aren't tolerated at PF, period. A goodly fraction of the threads in the physics sections at Science Forums would never see the light of day at Physics Forums. There is a lot more discussion of merit over there than there is here (in the realm of physics, that is).

I lurk there from time to time. It definitely is a better place to go if you have straightforward, non-basic technical questions about physics or engineering and want a quick response. However, if you want a casual and enlightening explanation for why your photosynthesis-powered submarine is probably a non-starter, this is the place to be. I like that we're a bit more casual and allow for broader discussions, and I like that we're small enough that I feel like I know most of the regulars, on what subjects to take them seriously, what is going to piss them off, etc. Community, damnit. Plus, I secretly kind of love crackpots, and having a name as generic as "science forums" attracts everyone trying to send an angry letter to the Mayor of Science demanding to know why we aren't using Tesla's flying lightning cars.

I think it's a great site. I was drawn there several years ago, before I had an account here. They had a great relationship with Dr. Michio Kaku, and I had read one of his books on theoretical physics. Dr Kaku has since started his own discussion forums.

As others have mentioned, PF has its place online. They are the place to go for hard, no nonsense answers from the big dogs on the block. There are other forums (I'm not going to name them since I don't really know much about them currently and don't wish to poison the well) that are extremely lax in their moderation and what they will allow. If PF is a 10 on the serious-science-only scale, and the TinfoilRUs sites are a 1, I'd put SFN at about a 6.5 - 7. Our seriousness is more about rigor in the methodology of our discussions, whereas PF is more serious about content.

I think our position allows that people can learn from mistakes and become better members if they're allowed to defend their assertions. PF is pretty strict about what you post, and will delete and/or ban if they sense you aren't mainstream. Each site serves a purpose.

Somewhat off-topic but I was was wondering whether anyone knows a hard science forum for life sciences?

Anyone know where I can find Jumbo Shrimp or Military Intelligence? All science is either physics or stamp collecting. :D

Somewhat off-topic but I was was wondering whether anyone knows a hard science forum for life sciences? One that goes beyond protocol swapping, that is?

I haven't participated there myself, but I got the link from paralith, and I trust her judgment and inputs on life science stuff quite a bit:

http://www.sciencechatforum.com/viewforum.php?f=112&sid=cb2efee571cbec80d1a1b1eafeac0de6

Thanks iNow. Based on some of the thread titles it does not appear to be much of a different level than it is here, though. And why am I not surprised that I got a link from you? Have you indexed the net on your harddrive or something? ;)

So I just joined this forum and I am wondering if anyone here is a member?

I have an account there. It's been lying dead for a few years.

I used it recently to talk about a statistical package and GNU/Linux program.

I stick around SFN and sciencemadness for the most part.

Edited by Genecks