General Stupidity

Cap'n Refsmmat

Given the amount of very stupid people in today's world, I thought I would dedicate a thread to them.

Just tell us the stupidest things you have ever seen...

For starters, here's a good website for this: http://www.darwinawards.com

And here's mine:

A student who was very interested in a teacher's demonstration of the effect of sodium in water decided to do some testing of his own. He extracted some sodium from the tank of oil it was stored in (to prevent a reaction) and wrapped it in paper towel, then put it in his pocket. Eventually, his sweat soaked through, and POOF! he experienced the demonstration firsthand. He experienced severe burns to his private parts as well as his legs.

My favorites are the people who are too stupid to get real jobs, so they decide to become criminals, thus exercising further stupidity.

I remember hearing about a woman who robbed a convenience store but left her purse behind, a guy who wrote a robbery note to a bank teller on the back of one of his pre-printed deposit slips, and a guy who was arrested for robbing vending machines whose brother posted bail for him and paid entirely in quarters.

LOL, from Blike's site:

'While the Society is not a "crackpot" group, it is opposed to the fashionable, politically correct Spherical Earth theory, which is expounded every day by so-called "scientists", the media and political leaders. The Society asserts that the Earth is flat and has five sides, that all places in the Universe named Springfield are merely links in higher-dimensional space to one place, and that all assertions are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true false and meaningless in some sense.' :rolleyes:

Here's mine, a unit of WIARNG engineers are on a worthless route recon in Iraq when they take fire. Instead of leaving the area, Capt. America, stops the convoy on a bridge. Let me say that again, in the middle of a damn bridge. Nobody was injured, however that is still the number one stupid thing I've seen.

Has anyone read the book Cap'n's site advertised? Or better yet, can anyone just explain what theory this guy presents? I don't have time to look through and read all of that. I was just wondering if anyone could summerize this guy's theory for me. I'm kind of interested now to see what he thinks.

I haven't read the book but I remember a thread by Hades (I think) where he points out the book has ad space here on SFN (I'm looking at the link right now). As far as I've read, he just says today's science is all wrong in Chapter One, then says see Chapter Two for the true answers to things like gravity. You have to order the book to see anything in Chapter Two....

It's looks like just a rehash of TOE for people who can't follow Brian Greene or Michio Kaku or Ed Witten, sensationalized to make Newtonian physics and those who ever believed in it a bunch of idiots.

Well, obviously it's a joke. I hope. :P

Taken from the FAQ:

9. How long is the edge of the Earth?

- The edge of the Earth is infinitely long.

10. Does this mean that the Earth has infinite area?

- No, no more than England does. See Benoit Mandelbrot for more information.

11. Does this fit in with the Hollow Earth theory?

- Yes. Beneath the Earth, or hanging off the edges, is a land populated by either green-skinned women or Nazis. All those claiming to have seen this have misinterpreted it to fit in with the spurious and false Spherical Earth theory.

Not to mention the proposed propaganda projects on the main page. ;)

Furthermore, we are not responsible for the loss of one or more of the following, which may possibly occur as the result of exposing one's self to the dogmatic and dangerously subversive statements made within: life, limb, vision, Francois Mitterand, hearing, taste, smell, touch, thumb, Aunt Mildred, citizenship, spleen, bedrock, cloves, I Love Lucy reruns, toaster, pine derby racer, toy duck, antelope, horseradish, prosthetic ankle, double-cheeseburger, tin foil, limestone, watermelon-scented air freshner, sanity, paprika, German to Pig Latin dictionary, dish towel, pet Chihuahua, pogo stick, Golf Digest subscription, floor tile, upper torso or halibut.

:rolleyes:

I dared my friend to stick a safety pin through the skin of his forearm and clip it shut. It wasn't a little one either, one of the big ones you would pin a babies daiper with.

I was sitting in the library at school when someone decided he'd play with his penknife by opening his hand on the table and quickly stabbing the gaps between his fingers.

I don't think I need to tell you what happened next ;)