Water?

Mr Rayon

Which of the follwoing is not a property of water?

A) Water readily dissolves many ionic salts.

B) Water boils at 100 degrees celcius.

C) Water has a relatively high surface tension.

D) Water is colourless and odourless.

i agree with psycho .........and also c one it depends on the purity of water ..like if you dissolve insoluble impurity then it's surface tension decreses on the other hand soluble impurity increases it surface tension.......

do you know that water we drink consist of very small amount D2O(heavy water) and T2O ,and salt to taste ................

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i agree with psycho .........and also c one it depends on the purity of water ..like if you dissolve insoluble impurity then it's surface tension decreses on the other hand soluble impurity increases it surface tension.......

And also the boiling point depends on the impurity like salt or urine increases its boiling point..........

do you know that water we drink consist of very small amount D2O(heavy water) and T2O ,and salt to taste ................

• 1 month later...
Which of the follwoing is not a property of water?

A) Water readily dissolves many ionic salts.

B) Water boils at 100 degrees celcius.

C) Water has a relatively high surface tension.

D) Water is colourless and odourless.

Name me a salt that isn't ionic. (A).

I agree with Psycho: they're all properties of water. B is dependent on the altitude.

In all science questions you always assume STP unless otherwise stated. The Answer IS D. Water IS blue NOT clear. Even in a glass it is blue - it just appears clear to us, it IS blue - the answer HAS to be D.

A common chemistry question is "Why is water blue?" - ANS: Because of all of the free electrons in it.

Edited by DrP

In all science questions you always assume STP unless otherwise stated. The Answer IS D. Water IS blue NOT clear. Even in a glass it is blue - it just appears clear to us, it IS blue - the answer HAS to be D.

A common chemistry question is "Why is water blue?" - ANS: Because of all of the free electrons in it.

Facetious. Water just happens to absorb weakly in the red region of visible light. Heavy water (Deuteurium oxide) is completely colorless when pure. The change in isotopes has shifted it's absorption band further into the IR spectrum.

Now dissolve some alkali metals in liquid anhydrous ammonia for me, and you can see free electrons. :cool:

Name me a salt that isn't ionic. (A).

I agree with Psycho: they're all properties of water. B is dependent on the altitude.

Depends on your definition of a "salt" of course but' date=' SnCl[sub']4[/sub]

Yep, it depends on the definition.

I always learned that a salt is a compound that has an ionic bond (i.e. is composed of ions).

If SnCl4 has covalent bonds, then that means it's no salt, even though it is composed of a metal and a halogen.

The interesting bit is what happens to SnCl4 when you dissolve it in water. I haven't looked it up, but my gut feeling says it will break up into ions.

However, I can imagine that people put this one in the category of salts, which does make the definition of "salt" a bit more vague.

I always learned that a salt is a compound that has an ionic bond (i.e. is composed of ions).

If SnCl4 has covalent bonds, then that means it's no salt, even though it is composed of a metal and a halogen.

The interesting bit is what happens to SnCl4 when you dissolve it in water. I haven't looked it up, but my gut feeling says it will break up into ions.

However, I can imagine that people put this one in the category of salts, which does make the definition of "salt" a bit more vague.

REPLY: I recall Linus Pauling in his book "GENERAL CHEMISTRY" saying something to the effect: that there is a spectrum of ionic to covalent bonds. From the most ionic gradually to the most covalent. He went into considerable detail about it. I don`t have a copy to look it up in. Any of you chemists care to expand on this ? Also didn`t one of his Nobel prizes have something to do with the nature of the chemical bond ? I could be wrong about all of this. ...Dr.Syntax

Semi-facetious: Is that also why electrical discharges are blue? (Where nothing's being volatised..)

I think that it's because of the emission spectrum of nitrogen and/or oxygen. Really it's like a big neon light except with atmosphere instead of neon.

When I was being taught chemistry, my chemistry teachers always emphasized that there really isn't a difference between ionic and covalent bonds. It's a continuous spectrum related to where the electrons in the bond are spending most of their time. In a salt like NaCl, the electrons are spending nearly all the time around the Cl atoms in the crystal. In a typical covalent bond H2, the electrons spend a fairly equal amount of time around each of the H atoms. Again, this is all pretty simplified but it's a good description. Try to think of bonds like temperature gradients. While we call things "hot" and "cold", it's really just a matter of which object has more heat energy in it.

If you take a look at HCl, it is by basically all defintions a covalent bond, but when you dissolve it in water it dissociates into H+ and Cl- ions.