Which of these are gods?

Mr Skeptic

Which of these do you consider to be gods (check all that apply)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which of these do you consider to be gods (check all that apply)

• Yahweh, Allah, and/or some other omnipotent creator of the universe.
    • Kronus, Gaia, and/or other beings similar to the Greek primordial beings
    • Zeus, Thor, Apollo, and/or other beings of similar might
    • Hercules, Achilles, and/or some other result of a union between a god and a mortal or nymph
    • Sun, Moon, Stars, and/or other celestial objects
    • The Universe, humans, animals, and/or any part of the universe.
    • Brahman, Shiva, and/or another member of the Hindu pantheon
    • Other (please specify)
    • None of the above

all, including the none option have been worshipped as gods including a few others.

thhat does make them gods, however, this bears no relevance to the question 'does god exist?' which i think is the question iNow and John are answering.

personally, i don't believe in a god of any shape or form.

Well... now my vote needs to be changed, as "Other" is no longer the best repesentation of my position. Another invalid poll on god. How awesome! :D

That will happen :D

The thing though, is when you ask the question as per the title of this topic, I have to say that everything but hybrids, celestial objects, and the Universe are "gods" because they fit the definition.

If you asked which fit the definition of "God" I'd have to say only the first, and possibly a second "Other" as "A being that created the Universe and/or Earth through metaphysical attributes" since "God" is a monotheistic term, and "gods" is a polytheistic term.

There are "gods" that are also tied to celestial objects, such as Ra the sun god, but that wouldn't mean the Sun is a god within any other context.

And of course - I don't actually believe any of them exist - just that nature of the definitions, so I don't know what we really can learn from this poll, sorry. :D

I like to define "god" as simply being anything greater than myself so all of those would apply (even if some only apply as concepts). It also allows me to tell religious fanatics that I am not an athiest with a straight face and move on to discussing more relevant matters. Although I would probably would have a heretical view of god according to most religions.......

I like to define "god" as simply being anything greater than myself so all of those would apply (even if some only apply as concepts). It also allows me to tell religious fanatics that I am not an athiest with a straight face and move on to discussing more relevant matters. Although I would probably would have a heretical view of god according to most religions.......

Greater? As in, Einstein who is smart, or, Douglas Adams who was over 6 and a half feet tall, or like whoever just won American Idol last? Would whales count, or an aspen grove? Can you define what properties and evaluations go into the definition of "greater" - I'm genuinely confused. :confused:

all, including the none option have been worshipped as gods including a few others.

thhat does make them gods, however, this bears no relevance to the question 'does god exist?' which i think is the question iNow and John are answering.

personally, i don't believe in a god of any shape or form.

I agree. I checked them all.

Greater? As in, Einstein who is smart, or, Douglas Adams who was over 6 and a half feet tall, or like whoever just won American Idol last? Would whales count, or an aspen grove? Can you define what properties and evaluations go into the definition of "greater" - I'm genuinely confused. :confused:

Something like that. You and I would qualify as god (hopefully two of us would be greater than either individually). Anything that includes myself and positive external factors. Sorry but I am not a god by myself, only a human. Do humans have the ability to become gods? Maybe, but certainly not at this point in our history.

Something like that. You and I would qualify as god (hopefully two of us would be greater than either individually). Anything that includes myself and positive external factors. Sorry but I am not a god by myself, only a human. Do humans have the ability to become gods? Maybe, but certainly not at this point in our history.

But based on your definition you would be a god to many - especially if you have pets. I kinda like the idea... I need to grab a chisel and some flat stones, and take my dog up a hill THOU SHALL NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S GARBAGE! (because then I have to clean it up)

Maybe then he'll finally take me seriously :D

Why are "Yahweh, Allah, and/or some other omnipotent creator of the universe." included together in the same category?

B/c they are scarcely different from one another. It's like asking why did you lump purple unicorns into the same bin with pink unicorns. The only legitimate difference is that people on one side of the planet were raised and taught that they are purple, and people on the other side of the planet are raised and taught that they are pink, but they're both still unicorns.

B/c they are scarcely different from one another. It's like asking why did you lump purple unicorns into the same bin with pink unicorns. The only legitimate difference is that people on one side of the planet were raised and taught that they are purple, and people on the other side of the planet are raised and taught that they are pink, but they're both still unicorns.

Here we go again with the unicorn comparisons.......

Are you certain that your unicorn story was in fact MrSkeptic's rationale?

To counter your LEGITIMATE point:

Many people believe that they ARE (significantly different).

That, plus the fact that Jews and Christians (who worship Yahweh) and Muslims (who worship Allah) FAR outnumber all the rest of the non-secular choices, I believe that the rational for my question is valid and, hopefully, evident.

For example:

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion

2. Islam: 1.5 billion

3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

4. Hinduism: 900 million

5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

6. Buddhism: 376 million

7. primal-indigenous: 300 million

8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

9. Sikhism: 23 million

10. Juche: 19 million

11. Spiritism: 15 million

12. Judaism: 14 million

13. Baha'i: 7 million

14. Jainism: 4.2 million

15. Shinto: 4 million

16. Cao Dai: 4 million

17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

18. Tenrikyo: 2 million

19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million

20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

22. Scientology: 500 thousand

rel_pie.gif

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Edited by DrDNA

That, plus the fact that Jews and Christians (who worship Yahweh) and Muslims (who worship Allah) FAR outnumber all the rest of the non-secular choices, I believe that the rational for my question is valid and, hopefully, evident.

It makes sense in this context. The question is related to the definition of the being that one calls God. Is it a being like the Abrahamic god that is with limitless power and authority or ones that are limited in scope or nature itself. I guess if one thinks only the attributes of Allah can be considered a god, then they could list the attribute(s) that make it stand out from the rest.

For example:

rel_pie.gif

we consider the problem from various aspects

..3.6 billion

Is everybody devout?

( reject the religion , abjuration of religion,ignored atheists and so on ).

there is no denying that......

we consider the problem from various aspects

..3.6 billion

Is everybody devout?

( reject the religion , abjuration of religion,ignored atheists and so on ).

there is no denying that......

I believe that your question may be answered by observing the pie graph carefully.

Eg, the "Non Religious" category includes "Theistic but not religious".

Edited by DrDNA

Why are "Yahweh, Allah, and/or some other omnipotent creator of the universe." included together in the same category?

Basically what iNow and john5746 said. From the point of definitions, they are identical as far as I know, with slightly different history. Mainly, Allah chose Abraham's firstborn as his heir, and Yahweh chose Abraham's son born by his wife. Add in a couple millenia of bickering, and you have yourself one god with two interpretations, one of which has to be false for the other to be the correct one. In any case, it would be hard to define "god" in such a way to include one but exclude the other, and there are already enough categories as it is.

To counter your LEGITIMATE point:

Many people believe that they ARE (significantly different).

Sure, but for purposes of this poll, they are not.

Also, FWIW, I reject the entire premise of the question. It falsely assumes a priori that anything ever even could be a god.