Is there such a colour called black? also speed of darkness

bloodhound

I think it shows deep insight and self awareness on the part of our US cousins. Either try to teach American schoolkids to spell properly (e.g. colour' date=' behaviour, haemglobin, foetus), or make the words easier to spell (color, behavior, hemaglobin, fetus).

Which way would [i']you[/i] go? :D

iirc it woz pres rsvlt.

So you are suggesting we remove all students from the gene pool?

OK.

One of the best suggestions I've heard this year. :D

iirc it woz pres rsvlt.

You're a student, aren't you...I can tell. If you're not, you should be, so I can tell you you shouldn't be....er

You're a student, aren't you...I can tell. If you're not, you should be, so I can tell you you shouldn't be....er

Humm, will I get in trouble if I respond to this with LOL? ;)

I don't mind abbreviations like LOL or IIRC in an informal setting like chat or e-mail, but I wouldn't use them in a report or essay. (I might use them in fiction, but only if it was appropriate for the story.) Perhaps part of the problem with students using Internet slang in papers is that they don't realize they need to be more formal in certain situations. Informality is a hard habit to break sometimes.

I do it around here because I am usualy working on homework while intermitently reading something new. I found that if I typed in shorthand online it wound up in an essay I was writing. I think it is a lot easier to type and write in all one style than to try and switch between the two. Now writing in spanish, that's another problem.

Even accepted abbreviations such as can't, won't and don't are not acceptable in formal academic writing.

really?

that's quite odd, since those abbreviations have changed into a milder, less direct meaning of what they abbreviate.

in today's English (American, not English, i suppose), without the abbreviation, extra emphasis is put on the "not", making the exact definition of the abbreviation slightly different from the non-abbreviated form.

Whats the offtopic smiley?<- insert here

There is no color black scientifically speaking (although i read in new scientist the have made a material that absorbs the most light( its got a cratered surface rather a spikey one), although i agree with there is a color "black" from a kids point of view

really?

that's quite odd' date=' since those abbreviations have changed into a milder, less direct meaning of what they abbreviate.

in today's English (American, not English, i suppose), without the abbreviation, extra emphasis is put on the "not", making the exact definition of the abbreviation slightly different from the non-abbreviated form.[/quote']

True, but even in America 'scientific prose' is formal and research reports are written in third party past-perfect tense (see for example; Publication manual of the American Psychological Association, 1994).

For example:

"Participants were subjected to the stimulus for 30 seconds."

"The data were collated"

"Participants were naive to the experimental hypothesis"

are acceptable, but

"I applied the stimulus to each participant for 30 seconds."

"I collated the data" (or) "The data was collated"

"Participants didn't know what the hypothesis was"

are not.

Perhaps part of the problem with students using Internet slang in papers is that they don't realize they need to be more formal in certain situations. Informality is a hard habit to break sometimes.

This is true :-( . But they are told right at the beginning what is required, and at regular intervals after that. They are also given booklets which present all the relevant information regarding writing style, format & layout (of essays and research reports) and so-on in detail. The people I have found using SMS text shorthand are second years. There's no excuse for that and it ticks me off.

You're absolutely right. I apologise. It's just that Easter is one of the worst times for marking as all course work gets handed in just before the break. It took two separate bags just to carry it all home, and it gets to me after 10 days or so. :eek:

There is no color black scientifically speaking (although i read in new scientist the have made a material that absorbs the most light( its got a cratered surface rather a spikey one)' date=' although i agree with there is a color "black" from a kids point of view[/quote']

Blacker is the New Black.

• 5 years later...

black is not a color, it`s the default state.

White is an equal mix of all colors in addative synthesis (using colored light to generate as opposed to subtractive where filters are used to block all but the specified color).

the speed of darkness would therefore be the rate that light leaves the area :)

No, it was the "extra vowel" tax, without representation, that we were rebelling against.

Funny, I always thought it was consonants you lot had trouble with. You did have a "T" party, didn't you? Where all the Ts were thrown into the harour?

Glider, what's wrong with;

"Participants didn't know what the hypothesis was"?

Why is it unacceptable?

(Sorry for the extra derail, but I honestly can't see why it's wrong and would like to know.)

Funny, I always thought it was consonants you lot had trouble with. You did have a "T" party, didn't you? Where all the Ts were thrown into the harour?

Little-known made-up-fact: The city was actually originally called Bostont by the locals, with their thick accents (actually sounded like "Bahstahnt). It was the Bostont "E" party, (Bahstahnt E Pahty) but when the historians heard the story and wrote it down, it became the Boston Tea party, and made up the rest, as they often do.

It would have been the "U" party, but they were worried PETA would think that they were going to toss ewes into the harbor, and oppose them. Besides, U's were in short supply — "E" is a much more common vowel.