CO from Nan bread??

Gareth56

On two occassions now following grilling nan breads our carbon monoxide monitor has gone off in the kitchen. I've checked that it isn't the gas grill on it's own that's giving of CO becuase I've just lit it and left it on for several minutes. The alarm only goes off when it's grilling nan breads!!

Any ideas?

sure, when it toasts, it chars.

when it chars it not only gives off PCAHCs but also CO, as will Any sufficient heating of Carbon "fuels" with insufficient O2 available at the heating point.

how much bread could you have been grilling to set off the CO detector?

(nan is delicious, btw... indian food is by far my favorite)

Two nans at the most and they are only under the grill for no more than 2 minutes and certainly don't emerge burnt.

they might not be burnt but there will still be some degree of reaction. just incomplete burning of nanbread, unless you have a few thousand going at all times and lock yourself in that room and make it reasonably airtight then you have nothing to worry about. you'd probably die from the heat before CO poisoning.

they might not be burnt but there will still be some degree of reaction. just incomplete burning of nanbread, unless you have a few thousand going at all times and lock yourself in that room and make it reasonably airtight then you have nothing to worry about. you'd probably die from the heat before CO poisoning.

If that's the case, the CO detector shouldn't have done off in the first place, right?

well, CO detectors tend to go off well before dangerous levels. also, the nan breads are probably just bumping the present CO level past the threshold of the alarm. i doubt a nanbread in itself would be enough to trigger it. but if its adding to already present CO then it would be enough.

this sounds like an Ideal opportunity to conduct an Experiment! ;)

try a Different sort of bread or roti, try to keep the same surface area as a naan, and toast them for the same length of time.

see if that does the same thing, and if it doesn`t carry on until it Does by altering one of the Variables such toasting for longer or a greater surface area.

keep notes along with the time taken.

I predict that you`ll get similar results with not much between them.

if you Don`t get results even close to that, then this is certainly very Interesting and worthy of further investigation ;)

also have you tried using another sensor, having 2 sensors would give a better result for accuracy. also it would be an idea to have a "Fake" naan the same size etc... but non flammable, to establish if it`s the shape that causing the Gas burner itself to give off the CO, maybe some sort of gas trap or pocket produced?

On two occassions now following grilling nan breads our carbon monoxide monitor has gone off in the kitchen. I've checked that it isn't the gas grill on it's own that's giving of CO becuase I've just lit it and left it on for several minutes.
Could pieces of the nan be falling through the grill to burn below? Or are you basting the nan with butter or oil or something else which might add to the CO level?

In my experience CO detectors are not specific. A colleague of mine was working with one and it went off whenever I used (ie spilled) acetonitrile. Now I doubt that toast is giving any CH3CN, but I wonder if there's something other and CO involved here.

A thought that occurs to me is that you might get alcohol vapour (OK, not a lot) from bread.

Anyone got any other ideas?

I forget the name... parathi or keema or something

paratha is just another roti like a naan, keema means meat.

I think they are Peshwari nans! The sweet ones - go very nicely with any curry with cocconut in it. :)

yes, Badami naan is the one.

I think they are Peshwari nans! The sweet ones - go very nicely with any curry with cocconut in it. :)

that's the one I had in mind. Peshwari... mmm

the one bad thing about newfoundland is they dont have any decent indian restaurants