Myths

Cap'n Refsmmat

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"if you sneeze with your eyes open' date=' they pop out" no they don`t! I`ve tried it.[/quote']

Dude! My friend just told me that the other day. I was like NOOO WAYYY. He swore by it, but I proved him long later in the day by holding my eyes open while I sneezed :)

Aspirin and Coke Cola gets you high!

it`s a load of crap' date=' we did 24 aspirins each and a liter of coke, 2 hours later (much longer than the reccomended time) there was NO effect at all, we went off and had a few pints of beer after, THAT had an effect :))[/quote']

i was told aspirin and alcohol when taken together send you out of your tree, is that true? .or maybe it was disprin

I thought asparin and alcohol together had a pretty bad effect on the kidneys and liver but anyway back to the myths.

A tooth left in a glass of Coke overnight will dissolve - untrue, it has no discernable effect after just one night.

A sneeze travels faster than the speed of sound - not true, not even close.

Holding your breath stops hiccoughs - not proven, it just gives you something to do while your diaphragm stops spasming of its' own accord.

Planes and boats are more likely to crash/sink in the bermuda triangle than elsewhere - statistics show that the occurence is exactly within normal limits

Walt Disney was cryogenically frozen after his death - false although he didn't have a public funeral he's buried in Forest Lawn Glendale.

The great wall of China is the only man made structure visible from space - this is quite a good one because many man made objects such as some airports and bridges are visible from space while the great wall is almost invisible due to the materials used to construct it.

We only use 10 percent of our brains - fMRI scans prove this to be rubbish. Large areas of the brain are used for even menial tasks.

The average person will swallow 8 spiders per year - This was made up by a woman who wanted to prove how easy it is to make things up that people believe!

Water in a pan, sink, or toilet rotates anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere - the Coriolis effect will effect large fluid bodies such as weather patterns but the effect just isn't strong enough to effect a toilet bowl.

The average person will swallow 8 spiders per year - This was made up by a woman who wanted to prove how easy it is to make things up that people believe!

The fact that people go around passing on that useful information without once stopping to think "wait a sec, how would anyone research that?" shows what fkin idiots most people are.

Cocaine used to be in coke-cola, but not in my lifetime, and cocaine and aspirin would have no effect any greater than just taking coke on it`s own.

as for aspirin and alcohol sending you "out your tree" I can personaly vouch for the fact that it doesn`t! infact I take that with lemon juice and honey when I have a Flu :)

what it CAN do though, if taken in great amounts, is lower the heart rate. alc will do this, so can aspirin and it happens naturaly when you sleep, combine the 3 and it could cause problems, but it would need significant amounts :)

remember also, that I`m talking pure aspirin here, not medication that may contain aspirin along with other drugs! that CAN cause dangerous results.

True. However, whilst cracking your knuckles doesn't cause arthritis, the effects are the same (rough and eroded cartillage).

The cracking noise is due to cavitation. The tension creates small bubbles in the synovial fluid, which implode on themselves with incredible force. These small implosions erode the mating surfaces of the joints, making them rough. Have you ever seen the results of cavitation on a propellor blade?

No, the myth is that tea contains more.

Coffee (depending on blend and brew-type obviously) contains between 2 and 5 times more caffein than tea.

This is an interesting read if you drink a lot of soft drinks:

http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

The info on this page might help explain why this myth came about:

http://www.chinamist.com/knowledge/health/caffeine/content.htm

Hmmm well I posted my myth based on a test made by a friend of mine. She was studying some kind of chemistry, and had to extract caffein from tea and coffee. She had a thick gunk that was the extract. The gunk in the tea was twice as high as the gunk in the coffee. I suppose it must be the brewing time of the tea.

Pincho.

• 7 months later...
Guest GeorgieBaby
Coffee contains more caffein than tea. Actually tea contains more.

Pincho.

Coffee contains more Caffein because if you notice with the Atkin's diet Caffein is out of the question, but you can drink tea or decaf! :P

Guest GeorgieBaby

Hey, ya know y'all talkin about Cocaine? Well Can it make your nose bleed when snorted? Doing a paper on it for College! Would welcome all replies! Thanx

Coffee contains more Caffein because if you notice with the Atkin's diet Caffein is out of the question, but you can drink tea or decaf! :P

Or you could just look at the label.

I wish there was some international law (with hideous consequences, preferably) against claiming tea has more caffeine than coffee.

Hey, ya know y'all talkin about Cocaine? Well Can it make your nose bleed when snorted? Doing a paper on it for College! Would welcome all replies! Thanx

Yes it can. It will also dissolve the cartilage inside the nose after prolonged periods of use, making for an interesting new facial feature.

I thought asparin and alcohol together had a pretty bad effect on the kidneys and liver but anyway back to the myths.

This has probably emerged from a convoluted chinese whispers style misinterpretation of why someone's doctor told them not to drink while on antibiotics.

Water in a pan' date=' sink, or toilet rotates anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere - the Coriolis effect will effect large fluid bodies such as weather patterns but the effect just isn't strong enough to effect a toilet bowl.[/quote']

The Coriolis force is strong enough to effect the water in a toilet bowl. The reason why the experiment doesn't work is because the shape of the toilet bowl and the statistical fluctuations in the inputed water are asymmetrical enough to overwhelm the effect. In principle, if you have a perfectly symmetric bowl and let the water out in a perfectly symmetrical way, this will work.

I wish there was some international law (with hideous consequences' date=' preferably) against claiming tea has more caffeine than coffee.[/quote']

Presumably this depends on the coffee. Starbucks' will have practically no caffeine in it because there is practically no coffee in it!