Anyone else really missing the frontpage?

Callipygous

Do you miss the front page?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you miss the front page?

• Yes. It was the bee's knees.
    • No. It was not the bee's knees, but rather just an extra step between me and my forum browsing.
    • Indifferent.

I personally didn't like it because I am use to this format. So I found myself clicking the index button alot. I am not picky though so really I am more indifferent about it, it doesn't really matter ultimately. It was only one more click so...only in light of the vote I chose no.

i just think it was a lot easier and more friendly. i dont even know where to look for news now because i always just scrolled to the bottom. i dont know where to find, or if we even have, the latest poll that was always on the right. in general i think its just a lot less inviting.

I miss having the New Posts button working the way it did before.

the homepage was good for many reasons also, it had many handy links that any Newb should read before posting.

it looks a bit spartan without it.

Yeah, I agree with all of that.

You can just bookmark the forum index.
Yes yes, and that method is functionally adequate, but it's also more cold and sterile, just a list of titles with some stats about them. The homepage gave a good presentation of what else was going on, with the current graphs window, the news pages, important community-note threads along the side; it was more than just "current threads," I saw it as the only actual "community" page, and even it was a bit sparse and empty as far as those kinda things go.

Not that I'm complaining; what's gone is gone, and that's up to the big-wigs. It's just that shrugging about it and pointing at the "current threads" page as if it's the same doesn't really do any justice to the poor, much beloved page's memory

*edit* whoops, Forum Index you said, not new threads... well that's even worse, it looks nicer than the New Threads Page, but everything's so much more... "distant" to directly access and snap through :P

The front page was just some thread listings and a few news articles underneath.
heh, there was a little more than that (along the sides, not central). But like like I said, not much; it was still stark and clinically unwelcoming, but it was less so than now.

Perhaps if we had a nice long welcome/purpose message there for guests, and had actual news.
beh, guests schmests :P , purpose messages just take up space with psuedo-pretentious blithering. Hmmm... i guess the "aura" of the site is just fundementally uninteresting and bland,I just never noticed until it became more so ;)

The front page was just some thread listings and a few news articles underneath.
Yes, but it was our front page. A place with the logo, a general summary, buttons on the left, things on the right. News, recent threads. Less text and a bit more space. I often just went straight to the Forum Index, but I miss the fact there is no home page now.

Perhaps if we had a nice long welcome/purpose message there for guests, and had actual news.
Not needed, IMO. How it was, as a home, a summary, a page which when someone logs onto they can get a really quick overview. Now if someone quickly logged on and saw a long list of text and lots of categories they'd be a bit put off. A simpler, plainer page, with more space, a nice logo etc. looks a lot better, to me and to visitors, guests, and prospective members. Additionally many current members seem to want it back. Those who don't just bookmark the index, so no probs with them either.

Also liked the old 'new posts' button...

And did something change with the Quote button? I thought it used to auto-magically wrap up quotes within quotes rather than just the initial quotes. Now if you're quoting person A's post that contains a quote by Person B, it removes Person B's quotes. Does that make any sense at all?

And did something change with the Quote button? I thought it used to auto-magically wrap up quotes within quotes rather than just the initial quotes. Now if you're quoting person A's post that contains a quote by Person B, it removes Person B's quotes. Does that make any sense at all?

Yep. It has removed those for a long, long time. It's an option in vB. I'm not sure if it's configurable, but I do know it gets irritating when the quote level gets four or five deep.