Scienceforums.com

ecoli

tbh, it's a pain in the arse to explain, 'cos the hosts file is stored in different locations on each version of windows, and (on XP at least), you need to go to inconvienient lengths to save the hosts file after editing it, and i'm not sure what you have to do to save the changes in non-XP versions of windows.

so... id reccomend downloading the hoster.

Simply run it, type in 38.118.74.97 http://www.scienceforums.com (note the space betwix the IP and the URL), and click 'add to hosts file'.

Lol Dak.

On Linux, /etc/hosts is a local file that, if you set your system up to do this, will store resolved DNS lookups so it doesn't have to querry the ISP every time to find out where an address is located.

edit:

bah, got answered above :)

the dns cache does that (somewhat badly) on windows.

the hosts file just stores url --> ip's that you enter into it... useful for 'hijacking' the process of looking up urls.

tbh' date=' it's a pain in the arse to explain, 'cos the hosts file is stored in different locations on each version of windows, and (on XP at least), you need to go to inconvienient lengths to save the hosts file after editing it, and i'm not sure what you have to do to save the changes in non-XP versions of windows.

so... id reccomend downloading the hoster.

Simply run it, type in 38.118.74.97 http://www.scienceforums.com (note the space betwix the IP and the URL), and click 'add to hosts file'.

"inconvienient lengths" You open it in notepad, add the line, save it, open up a new session of your web browser. Done.

In xp and I think older versions of windows it is stored in: windows/system32/etc/hosts

In *nix systems it's etc/hosts

In mac there is some weird system iirc, you can google and find out how to do it...

"inconvienient lengths" You open it in notepad' date=' add the line, save it, open up a new session of your web browser. Done.

In xp and I think older versions of windows it is stored in: windows/system32/etc/hosts

In *nix systems it's etc/hosts

In mac there is some weird system iirc, you can google and find out how to do it...[/quote']

hmm... hang on (goes away and checks something)

yup your right, its really easy :)

unless of course something like spybot has locked the hosts file (forgot about that) :D:rolleyes:

anyway yes, notepad easyer (unless your a nipple like me).

and the hosts file is saved in the following locations:

Windows 3.1 C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS

Windows 95 C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS

Windows 98 C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS

Windows ME C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS

Windows XP C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS

Windows NT C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS

Windows 2000 C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS

Windows 2003 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS

Or' date=' just make a bookmark to scienceforums.net. I just have a link in my bookmark toolbar of firefox.

:D[/quote']

it's actually my homepage already... :P

but, when I'm at school, I sometimes go to sf.com

• 2 months later...

They do seem to have some class though. I couldn't find any examples of them bad mouthing this site or any others. You can find stupid, juvenile physics claims at just about any science site I've visited including this one. Just because the ignorant can find a site and post there does not make the site bad, does it?

Guest Jay-qu
Just because the ignorant can find a site and post there does not make the site bad, does it?

Of course not doG, also if there was not ignorant people the smart ones would have no questions to answer!

You are also right in saying that Hypography has not bad mouthed this site.

yourdadonapogos stated that Hypography is not the type of forum you want to be, well I think its this behaviour that sets the two sites apart. I wouldnt want to be part of a site that just 'mud-slings' at another site instead of actually trying to find a legitimate reason of why its bad.

You guys have some great ideas and discussions going on here, dont pollute your boards with this slander crap.

Thanks for your time.

Dont knock it till you try it,

Jay-qu

They do seem to have some class though. I couldn't find any examples of them bad mouthing this site or any others. You can find stupid, juvenile physics claims at just about any science site I've visited including this one. Just because the ignorant can find a site and post there does not make the site bad, does it?
I agree that we have no need to bad mouth another site. Mudslinging is not a very strong position.

As a complete sidenote NOT in defense of Severian, the OP from the thread he cites as giggleworthy used to post here, and was banned for many posts like this one:

I completed and proved my theory last night on my own. I decided to try re-teach myself basic physics' date=' which I failed in highschool. 3 hours later, I completely understand it. I never did learn things well at school.

I want/need proof that what I post here today that may re-invent the way physics operates is going to be credited to none other than, Nicholis Justin Hill. I suppose some creditble witnesses would be helpful.

ps,

About 5mins after I completed and proved my theory, the power starting flickering on and off over and over for about 2 mins. I finally found myself to a flash light after being blinded by the lights then left in darkness. In my bedroom I looked out side and towards my town here in smithers bc, huge flashes of light were glowing up the sky that looked like bombs that I have seen in Iraq type of footage. I almost thought we were getting bombed, but there was no noise so I have no explanation as to what it was. Point of this story is, my computers hard drive got completely wiped, erasing my theory and everything else on it...

Luckily I developed the theory on paper first so I still have it written, although the 80% of it is in my head anyway.

Okay so, if you all figure it will be safe I will post it here after I get it re-typed.

[/quote']arkain101 went on in that thread to demand that we find a professor whose credentials he could check to guarantee that his theory would be accredited to him alone.

I make no inferences about the site or it's members. I just remember that particular poster. Although inconsistant with OUR purpose, he seems to have found a home. AND learned how to post a bit better.

yourdadonapogos stated that Hypography is not the type of forum you want to be' date=' well I think its this behaviour that sets the two sites apart. I wouldnt want to be part of a site that just 'mud-slings' at another site instead of actually trying to find a legitimate reason of why its bad.

You guys have some great ideas and discussions going on here, dont pollute your boards with this slander crap.

Thanks for your time.[/quote']

You might have noticed that judging scienceforums.com actually is not the topic of this thread. The topic is -funnily enough- that ecoli repeatedly mistakes the addresses. "Funnily enough" because one might think that after some time (after a few thousand posts) he has realized that the address of this site ends with ".net". Yourdadonapogos is just our house-troll Mokele brought back from one of his expeditions so don´t take him too serious :D. Apart from that (and taking out Severian´s comment, the link leads me to the "thread not found"-void), the only ones talking about comparing SFN <-> SFC are you and dog.

arkain101 went on in that thread to demand that we find a professor whose credentials he could check to guarantee that his theory would be accredited to him alone.

There's many like him that just move from site to site espousing such stuff. The same handles show up at sciforums.com, physicsforums.com, forum.physorg.com, etc.. How many have had to endure members like ps2huang? S/he just happens to be one I remember running into in 3 or 4 of them.....

the only ones talking about comparing SFN <-> SFC are you and dog.

I was searching for the recent arp thread I saw here and this thread turned up when I searched for hosts. Then I saw 1veedos remark and thought it deserved a remark in return.....

Guest Jay-qu
You might have noticed that judging scienceforums.com actually is not the topic of this thread..

Yes I noticed, but it did certainly go there in a few posts. Dont worry Im not judging your site by just a few members, because there are more than a few questionable members at Hypo also, but so long as they stay within the site rules I dont mind.