What is the nature of our existence?

MSC

3 hours ago, geordief said:

So ,if we lose a hair off our head we loose (just change?) a bit of our consciousness(as well as when  there is a change in the environment such as the sun going behind a cloud)?

Can we increase or decrease our amount of consciousness or is it just redirected/reoriented?

Do emotions affect our consciousness?

According to the hologramic theory of mind, memory dims, but does not disapear - one of many theories of mind

And according to basal cognition, all cells communicate, but the bulk of the work sitll remains with neurons i Guess.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/brains-are-not-required-when-it-comes-to-thinking-and-solving-problems-simple-cells-can-do-it/

I would venture a guess and say that emotions do affect our consciousness.

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

That's not what he's saying, we're like mobile anthill all of the part's are inseparable and they all inform the context of our story, if we lose an arm the story changes.

Everything is on somethings menu.

1- "Merleau-Ponty emphasized the body as the primary site of knowing the world, a corrective to the long philosophical tradition of placing consciousness as the source of knowledge" - where did I go wrong in my understanding? And your interpretation of it seems to me to be correct.

2- Yep!

Genady, Geordief- INow - good start to a very long overdue discussion on consciousness.

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Ok, but it still happens one bite at a time 

To infinity and beyond. Open rather than closed system. You will be eating for a long-long time.

14 minutes ago, geordief said:

I think consciousnesss could be extensive in the same way as a particle extends into its field according to QFT.

This analogy doesn't work because a particle does not extend into its field in QFT, but rather it is its field when the latter is not in the ground state.

42 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

Genady, Geordief- INow - good start to a very long overdue discussion on consciousness.

Missed a great opportunity of shutting up and not saying anything.

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

In 'A Brave new world' the world is engineered to provide everything we need, in a peaceful world; what's wrong with that?

Those that aspire to this "Brave new world" have purpose and meaning in their lives.

Also, mistics say that true meaning in life is only found when the ego is no longer standing in the way.

You are, of course, correct. We’re in violent agreement.

You seem to be saying there is a relevant difference between one’s consciousness and the functioning of that consciousness.

Do I read you correctly, and if so, I’d be curious to learn more about that distinction you seem to demarcate. 

1 minute ago, iNow said:

You are, of course, correct. We’re in violent agreement.

You seem to be saying there is a relevant difference between one’s consciousness and the functioning of that consciousness.

Do I read you correctly, and if so, I’d be curious to learn more about that distinction you seem to demarcate. 

No, I am not interested in this distinction. Sorry that what I said or how I said it sounded like this distinction is of any importance to me. 

37 minutes ago, Genady said:

Sorry

Please don’t apologize. No offense was taken.

Thanks for lending a few tokens of your consciousness to this particular context window, even though it seems we’ve now moved beyond your parameter space.

Happy St.Pats if you’re one who celebrates or maybe enjoys a good soda bread ✌️

We exist to love and learn; silly isn’t it, but it is.

I am sure that I will get no post traffic out of this one!

Lot’s more uplifting than Monty Python’s version of it.

Think about it before discarding it as senseless.

Thinkers are light on one and heavy on the other.

Also, brain creates mind or mind uses brain and cells to express itself?

One is a majority while the other a very minority view in the field of consciousness.

17 hours ago, Luc Turpin said:

Those that aspire to this "Brave new world" have purpose and meaning in their lives.

Also, mistics say that true meaning in life is only found when the ego is no longer standing in the way.

That's where you're missing my point, Merleau-Ponty I think was just pointing out the difficulty in disentangling the mind from the body and not that the body thinks.

The "brave new world" is just describing our modern world, with extreme prescience given when it was writen. The point being we can't engineer a safe world for everybody/thing (everything is on something's menu), it will always fail bc those not included in the plan will find a way to beat the plan; in the context of the OP, "shit happens"...

1 hour ago, Luc Turpin said:

We exist to love and learn; silly isn’t it, but it is.

I am sure that I will get no post traffic out of this one!

What about those that can't?

Not everyone can afford a good education, let alone a hooker... 😉 

Edited by dimreepr

25 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

That's where you're missing my point, Merleau-Ponty I think was just pointing out the difficulty in disentangling the mind from the body and not that the body thinks.

The "brave new world" is just describing our modern world, with extreme prescience given when it was writen. The point being we can't engineer a safe world for everybody/thing (everything is on something's menu), it will always fail bc those not included in the plan will find a way to beat the plan; in the context of the OP, "shit happens"...

What about those that can't?

1- You are correct, I took Merleau-Ponty's and mentally "pasted-on" basal cognition onto it. Indication of how mind sometime works. Merleau also made the step easy to take.

2- Need not necessarily be realizable to be considered a purpose of existence. Aspiration-idealization pushes us onward while all of it being futile or not.

3- Even cells learn; reptiles show a sense of caring. Ants sacrifice themselves for the better of the community. Some plant cells do the same. Matter of form and degree of love-learn.

5 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

3- Even cells learn; reptiles show a sense of caring. Ants sacrifice themselves for the better of the community. Some plant cells do the same. Matter of form and degree of love-learn.

But none of them thought about why...

7 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

2- Need not necessarily be realizable to be considered a purpose of existence. Aspiration-idealization pushes us onward while all of it being futile or not.

I just like to think about it, I don't care why.

Your purpose may vary... 😉

9 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

But none of them thought about why...

I just like to think about it, I don't care why.

Your purpose may vary... 😉

1- Got me again! But, learned or cared without knowing is still caring and learning, Do it not?

2- Thinking only about it without caring, does it make it purposeful? I guess not!

3- Absolutely.

Just now, dimreepr said:

It does for me, YMMV...

Great! We do whatever is necessary to extract as much as we can out of this life situation. We all idealize a world with more purpose, but it is what it is, not what it should be.

2 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

Great! We do whatever is necessary to extract as much as we can out of this life situation. We all idealize a world with more purpose, but it is what it is, not what it should be.

Says who?

Just now, dimreepr said:

Says who?

Me, not worth much!  A personal judgement. Also, an expression frequently used when we are unsatisfied with the turn of events. You got to admit that this could all be much better. With less pain and sorrow and grief and war and illness and death. Even the possibility of actualizing notions of a "Brave new world", would be sufficient for many of us, and make it easier to accept. Just living a peaceful existence with an expiry date, would be fine by me. Living for eternity is a very long time to live, unless time and space do not really exist elsewhere, if elsewhere exists. All of this talk and my ego is still in the way, so I may not know really much about the meaning of existence.

2 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

You got to admit that this could all be much better. With less pain and sorrow and grief and war and illness and death.

If you've never been driven to eat out of a bin, I doubt your taste buds have tingled quite so much...

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

If you've never been driven to eat out of a bin, I doubt your taste buds have tingled quite so much...

Yep, a matter of experience and perspective, and, no, fortunate or unfortunate that it din't happen to me. Again, a matter of perspective

On 8/8/2023 at 6:33 PM, MSC said:

I absolutely detest the question; What is the meaning of life? It's just, really poorly worded when you think about it. 

So I spent a decade or so, trying to just figure out a better question to ask. 

This is it; What is the nature of our existence?

I could go on I guess, but I'd rather just let people sit with the question. 

As for why "What is the meaning of life?" Is a pretty shite question; that's a whole other thread!

We are an expression of whatever beliefs we choose to accept.  

On 8/9/2023 at 12:33 AM, MSC said:

I absolutely detest the question; What is the meaning of life? It's just, really poorly worded when you think about it. 

So I spent a decade or so, trying to just figure out a better question to ask. 

What about, what is the meaning of 'my' life?

I spent year's, "42",  figuring out that one, bloody computer's were no help... 😉