Moon Clock

KrallSpace29

Hey Forum, 

My last input for the time being, but here's a little more food for thought. I originally posted both of these as responses to solicitations on the NASA NSPIRES website, this was wasn't taken seriously, the other I abandoned after seeing how this one went. 

The title is basically as obvious as it sounds, the technology would ultimately be attached to a rocket as a payload, and planted on the moon. 

The basic concept behind this is to create a Universal timeframe in realtime for everyone on Earth. A lot of people are trying to do this with automatic watches, and this kind of works but it's not the entire picture. Also not everyone has enough money to afford a nice automatic watch, or the experience to be able to wear it correctly all of the time. This would fix all of that.

It's become difficult, and almost impossible for some people to think outside of the box. This is possibly due to the large amount of technology constantly orbiting the Earth, including the space station and other satellites/telescopes. 

I think that if there were a clock on the moon, and also a stopwatch with an infinite end, perhaps, some people would be able to glance at the digital clocks on their computer screens and in their cars and still have some kind of merit to what time it actually is. Something cool to think about before you get back to work, will help your mind to be able to rest periodically throughout the day. 

A lot of people look up from the digital clocks in their cars and expect to be taken away from their immediate reality, just to find themselves back in their car. I think a clock on the moon would provide a better and more full spectrum of time itself, and there would be less stress in traffic ;and navigation of the waking world itself might become a little more interesting. Basically giving digital time some kind of a backbone is what this is all about. Right now there's well, nothing there.

Thanks again, let me know what you guys think.

How would this universal clock disseminate time in a way that we don’t already do? We have Coordinated Universal Time and time zones; you can automatically get time on your smartphone or computer, or get by calling certain phone numbers (202-762-1401 in the US is my favorite)

Do you mean a huge clock display on the moon? 

Which would be visible less than half the time?

No, and no. It would mean that when you're looking at a digital clock you would still have some kind of an idea of what time is. Your mind can't give meaning to meaningless, material things. It wouldn't be visible from Earth. 

However is being there would mean there is a Universal time constant for everyone who needs it, which is everyone. 

1 minute ago, KrallSpace29 said:

No, and no. It would mean that when you're looking at a digital clock you would still have some kind of an idea of what time is.

And you think that doesn’t already happen?

1 minute ago, KrallSpace29 said:

Your mind can't give meaning to meaningless, material things. It wouldn't be visible from Earth. 

However is being there would mean there is a Universal time constant for everyone who needs it, which is everyone. 

No such thing; relativity tells us that time differs from one reference frame to another. But in a practical sense, as I said we have UTC for the earth already, and the deviation from this from elevation are not apparent to most

5 hours ago, KrallSpace29 said:

The title is basically as obvious as it sounds, the technology would ultimately be attached to a rocket as a payload, and planted on the moon. 

The basic concept behind this is to create a Universal timeframe in realtime for everyone on Earth. A lot of people are trying to do this with automatic watches, and this kind of works but it's not the entire picture. Also not everyone has enough money to afford a nice automatic watch, or the experience to be able to wear it correctly all of the time. This would fix all of that.

Are you thinking of placing an atomic clock on the Moon instead of satellites?

This would require specialized devices that people would have to have on Earth to read them, such as GPS. Which is already built into most smartphones..

The distance between the Earth and the Moon is not constant, but variable. And like pointed already, not always visible.

The Moon is currently at almost the point of perigee. The max distance between perigee and apogee (center-to-center) is ~ 51000km. 51000km/300000km=170ms error.

The distance between the site on Earth and the device on the Moon will also vary due to the Earth's rotation. 6370km/300000 km=21 ms error.

The currently existing GPS system has much smaller error..

Edited by Sensei

21 hours ago, KrallSpace29 said:

Basically giving digital time some kind of a backbone is what this is all about.

What is "digital time", and how does it differ from regular time? You make it sound inherently weak or ineffectual.  

Still learning about this forum, If there's a way to respond to individual posts that someone could tell me about that would be great, otherwise I guess I'll have to respond to the entire thread.

Digital time I would describe as just a numerical marker instead of a universal reminder. It could be both.

8 minutes ago, Genady said:

You quote the post or the part of it to which you respond, like I've just done here.

... by clicking on "Quote" at the bottom of the post you want to quote, or by clicking the "+" next to it if you're quoting multiple posts.

15 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

... by clicking on "Quote" at the bottom of the post you want to quote, or by clicking the "+" next to it if you're quoting multiple posts.

or by selecting a part of the post you are quoting and clicking on the floating "Quote selection" box.