Computer router and radiation?

kenny1999

Is it true that even for the router that emits the strongest signal, radiation emitted is very negligible that one may be exposed to more than that from the natural background?

Could it emit a lot more than the safety limit if the router isn't well tested or manufactured by responsible providers?

3 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

Is it true that even for the router that emits the strongest signal, radiation emitted is very negligible that one may be exposed to more than that from the natural background?

Could it emit a lot more than the safety limit if the router isn't well tested or manufactured by responsible providers?

My understanding is that a router emits a stronger RF signal than a cellphone. Whether RF radiation at such levels can really pose a health hazard seems to be a matter of debate.  Traditionally it was thought it had no effect on biological tissue, but I think there have been a few studies that challenge that assumption. Maybe someone else here knows more.   

5 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

one may be exposed to more than that from the natural background?

Yes this is true.

Is it true that even for the router that emits the strongest signal,

Stronger than what ?

The signal near  microwave and mobile phone masts, radar installations and in some factories is much higher.

radiation emitted is very negligible

Negligible to most people, yes, but not to everyone.
Some people are unusually sensitive. Such people will also suffer in an area of higher  raduation from other sources.
I do know of medically proven cases where moving the router out of someone's bedroom has resulted in beneficial effects.
But some are also hypochondriacs and I am not prepared to discuss individual cases.

Any electrical device that is not functioning properly either though poor manufacture, maintenance or misuse can emit unwanted, potentially harmful radiation.

Edited by studiot

The radiation is likely stronger than background at the frequency being used, but when one looks at a broader spectrum, the total background will be higher.

Hi all, I'd like to take this chance here to ask another question about radiation while not starting a new thread.

1. I learnt about frequency and wavelength in school, but I know that there is another common term used when talking about radiation - Dose. I know that it is about quantity, but what is it about from the physics point of view? More waves sent out under the same unit of space?

2. Does radiation of higher energy mean larger amplitude of the wave?

3. I learnt from school, but I forget, so what is the actual particle that is vibrating as a radiation wave? Is it electron? I am pretty sure that it wouldn't be air molecule, but what is that? 

4. How man-made radiation is generated from its source?

1 hour ago, kenny1999 said:

I learnt about frequency and wavelength in school, but I know that there is another common term used when talking about radiation - Dose.

Dose is typically referring to biological damage from ionizing radiation.  There are several types of ionizing radiation but you seem to be talking about EM radiation.  The 2 most important aspects for EM radiation in causing biological is the energy of the photons and the flux or photons per area.  Higher energy means a shorter wavelength.  The higher the energy the longer the path through your body and the more ionizing events (damage)occur.  The higher the flux the more photons per surface area so the more ionizing events will occur in your body.

The other common types of radiation are alpha particles which are helium nuclei, Beta radiation which are electrons or positrons and Neutron radiation.  For all of these particles the faster they are moving the longer the path length through your body and the more ionizing events will occur.   

Edited by Bufofrog

My router can be connected to USB to the computer and it works perfectly fine. USB v2.0 has a maximum of 5 V and 1 A, which gives a maximum output power 5 W. But this router draws 1.6 watts. A traditional 100-watt light bulb has 60 times more power than the router. Just to give you idea how little it is. The RF power emitted by the router is literally a fraction of that 1.6 watts, counted in mW (milliwatts).. Additionally it fades with distance..