To what extent must the platter of a hard drive be destroyed to prevent forensic recovery?

Vorn

Most sites advise drilling a few holes in it to thwart privacy invasion, so I'm assuming it does not take much. What about an electric engraver, woodburning pen, soldering iron or bolt cutters...would either of these be an effective method to use on a bare platter?

..but do you know that the most of modern computers don't even have HDD.. ? practically the all sold laptops  in shops have SSD and NVMe storages..

SSD is 10x faster (550 MB/s) than HDD (55 MB/s)

NVMe (1500-3500 MB/s) can be 30-60x faster than HDD..

Edited by Sensei

10 hours ago, Sensei said:

..but do you know that the most of modern computers don't even have HDD.. ? practically the all sold laptops  in shops have SSD and NVMe storages..

SSD is 10x faster (550 MB/s) than HDD (55 MB/s)

NVMe (1500-3500 MB/s) can be 30-60x faster than HDD..

Which is completely off-topic. If someone wants to know how to fix an LP record player, it's meaningless to point out how CDs work differently. Don't you think it's safe to assume the OP is looking at that "bare" HD platter? I don't think its existence is in question.

If I didn't care about re-using the drive, I would put in in an old saucepan without any water, and leave it on a low heat on the hob for an hour. It would need some kind of genius to get data off it after that.

4 hours ago, mistermack said:

If I didn't care about re-using the drive, I would put in in an old saucepan without any water, and leave it on a low heat on the hob for an hour. It would need some kind of genius to get data off it after that.

Stinky.