I think we need a leader that embodies the best characteristics of FDR, JFK, Lincoln, and even Reagan

CmdrShepSpectre2183

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

I can also hope Joe Sixpack will someday see that idolizing these "rascals" as the epitome of masculinity ("a real man's man") gives a big thumb's up to their immoral behavior. Political office is an enormous privilege, and it's being conferred on scummy personalities who want the average guy to forgive them anything. They're ticks and leeches and for some reason they're being encouraged to keep on sucking.

At the time I had just taken my colored glasses off to look at what Bill Clinton had really done (besides the prosperity we enjoyed). He's partly to blame for many of our current troubles with racial strife and untrustworthy news, but he also perpetuated this toxic myth that men just can't reasonably be expected to control themselves where sex is concerned.

He must be a fundamentalist islamist. 

18 hours ago, MigL said:

The only female Canadian Prime Minister was a Conservative, not a Liberal.

Heh, you mean Kim Campbell who was PM for about half a year? Yeah I guess folks to a careful dip into that concept but probably it was a bit much. Baby steps, I guess. 

On 9/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

And they are an idealist who believes humanity should strive for the "Star Trek future".

Is this an unreasonable standard for a leader?

It seems you are asking for perfection. Not sure if that is actually possible. One of my dreams is seeing Australia more active as far as space endeavours is concerned. Yet with all our great Labor leaders, that is always put on the back burner, in favour of money going towards other worthwhile endeavours, including education, sexual equality, equal pay, university education, home ownership etc. And I have no argument with any of that...in a nation of 25 million, there are prioities. The recent deal with the US, UK and Australia, that will see us getting nuclear submarines, may not have been so easy or cut and dried as it seems to be if we had a Labor government in power. Although there is bipartisan support in our country with regards to the threat of China within our region. The Labor party also gave bipartisan support to the Liberal government at that time, for the great reform in our gun laws, after what became known as the Port Authur massacre.

In essence, Labor governments in Australia, were never reluctant in giving bipartisan support when needed or desired, unlike the many incidents of stubborness shown by the Liberal/National party coalition parties, in opposing everything and anything that Labor ever proposed, including our universal health scheme, apology to our indigenous population for wrongs done, equal pay, zero net emmisions and the environment, and sexual misconduct within the parlimentary halls. 

Bob Hawke once made a statement in 1987 that no child will be living in poverty by 1990. Obviously it was an unattainable declaration, but just as obviously his heart was in the right place, and he did reduce that figure by 30%. 

Bob Hawke did much to abolish sexism and sex discrimination in our country among his many other achievments, and being somewhat of a lovable larrikan, did not detract from those achievments, but as much as I have been singing his praises, he was not imo our greatest PM. That title goes to Gough Whitlam, who was elected in 1972 after 23 years on Liberal government. If criticism of Whitlam is warranted, it would be that he moved too fast with reform for our country, that drew the ire of the conservatives and saw them plan for his dismissal. I am only speaking of Prime Ministers of my time, and going back further, we have another great Labor man in John Curtin, who in WW2 when the Japanese were on our doorstep, defied  the British PM Winston Churchill, and brought Australian troops back from northern Africa to defend our country, and sought the help of the US in our defence.

Is this an unreasonable standard for a leader? Perhaps that can be best answered with you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.