Notable Interviews on Climate Change, Religion fundamentalism/ID and Racism

beecee

3 minutes ago, joigus said:

I think you're only too obviously an LTP. And I'm too busy to play LT now. I'm expecting a visit from HWL.

Let's pick this up tomorrow; when we've had a chance to sleep on it...

8 hours ago, dimreepr said:

For instance, how does science address the question of personal contentment?

Personal contentment, as the name suggests is personal. I was as content as one could be last night after my team the Sydney Roosters, despite a huge injury and suspension toll, thumped the Canberra raiders in the greatest game of all [rugby league] I'm in total awe when I look into the night sky and understand that much of what I observe is explained by science, and I find contentment as a result of that scientific knowledge.  But seriously, why should science address personal contentment? I'm always happy and content [for obvious reasons] when my wife is happy and content within her choice of singing in her choir and interacting within her church group.

Science concerns itself with fact and theory based on the scientific method of the pursuit of knowledge and understanding, based on what we see and observe. Religion can help  to create a decent ethical  framework [but often does the opposite] to live one's life. 

9 hours ago, joigus said:

I watched the Dawkins-Pell debate years ago, and I was appalled. The more stupid and ignorant his talk was, the more applause did he get.

We evolved from Neandertals?

Evolution is random?

The universe before the big bang was a mixture of particles with perhaps a vacuum with electromagnetic forces? 

Appalling ignorance to the delight of his cheerleaders. Did he actually read Krauss' book, or any other science book for that matter?

😊 Poor old Georgy Pell was certainly atrocious in that exchange as well as devoid of any actual knowledge. His advisers in letting him take part in such an interview/debate were derelict in their duty...real cringe worthy stuff. As was the climate debate between Brian Cox and that other fool denier.

Edited by beecee

8 hours ago, beecee said:

Poor old Georgy Pell was certainly atrocious in that exchange as well as devoid of any actual knowledge. His advisers in letting him take part in such an interview/debate were derelict in their duty...real cringe worthy stuff. As was the climate debate between Brian Cox and that other fool denier.

That's probably as good a criticism of the show, and it's lack of real balance, as you can get.

15 hours ago, beecee said:

Personal contentment, as the name suggests is personal. I was as content as one could be last night after my team the Sydney Roosters, despite a huge injury and suspension toll, thumped the Canberra raiders in the greatest game of all [rugby league] I'm in total awe when I look into the night sky and understand that much of what I observe is explained by science, and I find contentment as a result of that scientific knowledge.  But seriously, why should science address personal contentment? I'm always happy and content [for obvious reasons] when my wife is happy and content within her choice of singing in her choir and interacting within her church group.

Science concerns itself with fact and theory based on the scientific method of the pursuit of knowledge and understanding, based on what we see and observe. Religion can help  to create a decent ethical  framework [but often does the opposite] to live one's life. 

Science is built on failure, religion is built on success... 

When is society most successful?

When most of society is content... 

It's arguable that science needs religion, but not that religion needs science.

15 hours ago, beecee said:

Personal contentment, as the name suggests is personal. I was as content happy as one could be last night after my team the Sydney Roosters, despite a huge injury and suspension toll, thumped the Canberra raiders in the greatest game of all [rugby league]

FTFY

Real personal contentment, is just as happy content when they loose.

And, are you crazy? Union is the only rugby that matters... :doh:

7 hours ago, LaurieAG said:

That's probably as good a criticism of the show, and it's lack of real balance, as you can get.

Indeed, you don't have to be a priest to understand a bible, Pell clearly doesn't; it's like the producers had an agenda...

12 hours ago, beecee said:

Only after the fifth beer. 😉

The game that they say is played in heaven? another myth!😁 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pIyMSda2t4&t=80s

The point is they have different meanings, and that's why I think the religious message isn't understood.

For instance I think the point of heaven is a metaphor, what other chance do we have of being in heaven if not here and now? And how else can we do that, if not by being content with here and now and unafraid of tomorrow? 

Read the sermon on the mount with this hypothesis in mind.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, dimreepr said:

This is much more balanced debate, and well worth the time.

Sean Carroll is always worth listening to...havn't watched it all as yet [just had my first cup of coffee for the day] but will when time permits.