How exactly are galaxies formed?

kenel

yup, fluctuations caused in the inflationary period, thought to have occurred during a phase change as the strong force separated out of the mix.

the think I've always wondered is how come more of the matter didn't overcome the chandrasekhar limit, since this presribes a really low density when given enough matter....

Originally posted by chris

chandrasekhar limit... what is that? :confused:

I don't know the mathematical formulation, but iirc it's a limit how dense a certain amount of matter can be (or vice versa, how much matter of a certain density there can be) before its gravity causes it to collapse into a black hole.

ed - do you know how, if at all, the initial condition of the matter affects this? would it matter that the matter in the big bang would have been incredibly hot and fast moving? and does the expansion of space have any bearing on it?

here's me again, I meant swartzchild radius..... chandrasekhar limit is the maximum mass that can be supported as a white dwarf.

anyway.

I did a crude calculation (really crude - I don't have a calculator) for the mean density of the contents of a black hole the size of the one in the galaxy M87, which is about a billion solar masses, and it gave a mean density of about 10kg/m^3* which while high when compared to the mean density of the galaxy, could well have occured an awful lot in a young universe. I'll have to check up on the mean density of the universe when it was in equilibrium though. it might be interesting to work out the probability of different sizes of black hole occuring (some statistics... how banal) and see if it matched up to anything, such as the distribution of hypothesised black holes in the centre of galaxies.

calculation consisted of the following:

R=2GM/(c^2)

R is the swartzchild radius - the radius of the event horizon of a black hole of mass M

G is the gravitational constant

c = speed of light.

and density=mass/volume

solar mass = 1.9x10^30 kg/m_3

G = 6.7x10^-11

c = 3x10^8

--------------

If anyone knows much about statistics, that would be a help. I hate it and have avoided it wherever possible.

Without sentience to observe a galaxy, there is no galaxy. That is a derivitive of Schroedingers cat in the box theory.

Without the formation of galaxies there would be no sentience.

For a galaxy to form there must have been something that interfered with the homogenous expansion of the original big bang mass. It seems to have all the elements of seeding life since we find so much positive enforcment in our solar systems materials.

Somehow, some force diverted large amounts of mass to take individual paths that are contrary to a homogenous state.

I'm just postulating the universe can't be unless somebody realizes it is. That might be the reason for the galaxies but I'm going to need pages to explain my postulation of how.

I guess my assistance was only worth a nickle so far.

Just aman

the universe can still be around icen if we aren't. if all life ended tomorrow, the universe would still be here. the initial inhomogeneities only need to be very slight, and I believe they are a possible consequence of the inflationary period, though I don't know enough about cosmology to tell you why it is thought that this is the case.

Spin gravity in the ether of Magnetism, would interpret all the observations differently.

The interpretations used to describe the observations above are mostly not held in spin gravity theory. :)

We have a small model of galaxy development in the planet saturn. If you want to build a scale model and do the math you can learn a lot from Saturn and its rings. Extrapolate how it collected. Then come the analmolies. How come the heaviest elements are in the center. Are there any heavy metals in the rings? That might be a clue also.

Just for thought.

Just aman

• 7 months later...
Originally posted by fafalone

M = (5.87/µ²)*Mo

where Mo is solar masses, mu is nucleons per electron.

Blackhole formation is inevitable if the remnant of a Type II supernova which leaves a core of greater than 3 solar masses. Generally (although not always) a star that is large enough to form heavier elements (via Proton capture) will begin "onion skin" burning, expand, collapse and then, if the outer shell retains a mass of more than 2.99 solar masses it becomes a black hole. If the solar m,ass is less than 1.4 solar masses, you get a white dwarf. 1.5 and you get an unstable star that will detonate as a Type I novae leaving begind a Neutron star (ussually as a pulsar until all angukar conservation has been depleted).

Bill

Guest NuHertz
Originally posted by fafalone

M = (5.87/µ²)*Mo

where Mo is solar masses, mu is nucleons per electron.

I thought µ (Mu) was the co-efficient of friction, or does it have other purposes throughout physics that I am unaware? Like nucleons per electron?

Spiral galaxies form from giant clouds of gas, which in the center a black hole forms from *your guessed it* a GIANT supernova, and the gas/matter around it spins counter-clockwise.

I don't know how eliptical galaxies form but I do know that our galaxy will turn into one when it collides with our negihbor and the 2 black holes form to 1 even bigger one.

The reason they come together in the first place...the obvious: Gravity.