Computer game design

paulsutton

Hi

This may sound an odd question for a psychology thread but I am trying to reach out and ask this.

I am creating custom levels for a game called rocks and diamonds, which is a sort of maze, diamond collecting game

I am writing about this on my blog at link deleted

My question is that if I design complex levels does this have a different psychological effect compared to really simple levels.  So within my level set if I created say 5 really complex levels, is there any psychobiological benefit to throwing i the odd really simple level,  that is quick to complete.

I am asking this as perhaps the brain acts in a certain way if you're involved in heavy thinking when completing a complex level, so perhaps is on a heightened state,  then if you are then faced with a few much simpler puzzles does this perhaps bring this state down a little.

I am not sure if this is right or what terminology to use, so is there a benefit to just including the odd simple level.

The game is meant to be fun,  so hopefully this will help keep it that way so users are not faced with endless complexity.

Thanks

Regards

Paul Sutton

'Is there any psychobiological benefit to throwing i the odd really simple level,  that is quick to complete'

Personally I would prefer the levels to get progressively harder with easier bits within the levels themselves to aid progress and encouragement. A hard level followed by an easy level followed by a hard level doesn't make much sense to me.

There's a certain satisfaction completing a hard level. Maybe instead of easy, make it more fun instead. What about bonus levels? A chance to boost your points or win some goodies that can be applied to the next level.

Good luck with your game.

51 minutes ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

Our rules specifically preclude posting to advertise a blog

Sorry about that.

35 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

'Is there any psychobiological benefit to throwing i the odd really simple level,  that is quick to complete'

Personally I would prefer the levels to get progressively harder with easier bits within the levels themselves to aid progress and encouragement. A hard level followed by an easy level followed by a hard level doesn't make much sense to me.

There's a certain satisfaction completing a hard level. Maybe instead of easy, make it more fun instead. What about bonus levels? A chance to boost your points or win some goodies that can be applied to the next level.

Good luck with your game.

Thanks for this. These are are levels created with the level editor for the game. I have made 12 but the responses on this thread has given me some pointers going forward. 

Paul

Paul

Not an odd question at all, but maybe a bit niche.

I was recently reading something about our tendency to distort probabilities in games - people interpret a 99% chance as being certain and go ape when it doesn't happen.

Also read something about rock, paper, scissors and how even in such a simple game psychology dictates optimal plays.

I think there's a great body of literature out there, get onto google and have a look. I found this which seems a reasonable start.