Jump to content

Does warped spacetime unbend when a mass is removed?


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

If we remove this mass does the spacetime straighten out again? 

Yes. (Although, as mass can't "disappear", the curvature just follows the mass wherever it goes.)

26 minutes ago, PrimalMinister said:

If so what causes this.

Spacetime curvature is [caused by] the presence of mass-energy. Remove one and the other goes as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, Strange said:

 

Spacetime curvature is [caused by] the presence of mass-energy. Remove one and the other goes as well.

Why? Or Rather how? Your argument is...........

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

"Enough" is any amount. 

Nope it isnt.

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

"Enough" is any amount. 

There is a limit of energy required for an object to bend space-time . Just like there is a limit in pressure a material can take withouth breaking - the same thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amazing Random said:

Nope it isnt.

The presence of mass/energy IS spacetime curvature. Two pieces of dust in space, outside any other influence, will each curve spacetime enough to meet. 

How little mass do you think you need before spacetime doesn't curve? Perhaps the ISS can test this for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

Nope it isnt.

There is a limit of energy required for an object to bend space-time . Just like there is a limit in pressure a material can take withouth breaking - the same thing.

Yes it is. Even light due to its momentum, warps spacetime ever so slightly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

Nope it isnt.

There is a limit of energy required for an object to bend space-time . Just like there is a limit in pressure a material can take withouth breaking - the same thing.

Stop hijacking threads with your crackpot ideas

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Amazing Random said:

Nope it isnt.

!

Moderator Note

Responses are supposed to be from mainstream physics, not your pet theory. The latter may only be discussed in your own thread in speculations,

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

The presence of mass/energy IS spacetime curvature.

 

I ask again - where is your argument that says this is the case? I have one, although to say it is hand waving would be to flatter it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

I ask again - where is your argument that says this is the case? I have one, although to say it is hand waving would be to flatter it!

One of the definitions of mass is how much space-time curvature it causes (ie. gravitational mass; there others, such as inertial mass, but they all seem to be identical). And energy is equivalent to mass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

I ask again - where is your argument that says this is the case? I have one, although to say it is hand waving would be to flatter it!

Because that's what the evidence supports in GR. gravity is simply geometry of spacetime.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.