Do I still have a chance?

RolloOftheNorm

I want to become a software developer someday, but I’m having a little issue. When I was 20 years old I got arrested for a misdemeanor and spent a night in jail for it. I’m concerned whether or not I’ll ever get a job in the tech sector since I have a criminal background now. Do I still have a chance of being an developer or am I screwed for life?

You don't state which country you are in. That may be significant.

You could call up a software company HR department and ask them directly what their position would be. Keep in mind that in some countries it would be illegal for them not to hire you on the basis of your record (if any), so they may be economical with the truth.

Alternatively, seek out some software developers and ask them what they think the impact of your history might be. (I have a stereotyped view of software developers that pictures half of them as being regular users of cannabis.) Where do you find software developers? The same place you are thinking of getting your qualifcations at.

I haven't been convicted so no.

I asked this question somewhere else and told the guy I got my record expunged. His response was an expunged record can still be accessible and re-opened so it's not completely gone. Is this true?

Edited by RolloOftheNorm

1 hour ago, RolloOftheNorm said:

Born and raised in the United States. Need anything else?

Do I have a chance working in silicon valley someday or not? I hope someone can honestly answer so I can give up my hopes of working at Google or Amazon someday.

I return to my recommendations given earlier. Contact an example of the kind of company you might wish to work for and ask them. I do know that into today's marketplace many companies are looking for ways to eliminate candidates. If they have two hundred applicants chasing one job they can rarely afford to process them systematically and thoroughly. One way of countering this is to have a CV that standouts, head and shoulders, above the crowd.  That is likely to negate any impact of your minor brush with the law.

(If all else fails, you could always run for President where a questionable past doesn't seem to be an issue. )

If the definition of expunged being used is standard, then the record was erased completely. It would be weird to use "expunge" if you could still access it. On the other hand, I've never heard of anyone but a juvenile getting a misdemeanor expunged. You're usually either convicted or the charges are dropped (which is different than expunged).

Employers would check a state database, so you could do the same. I saw one through your state .gov that charges $25.00 for a criminal records check (search "criminal records check" when you get to the .gov site). Alternatively, there may be a way you could check your own record through the state for free. It seems reasonable that you should be able to know your own status without paying for it.