How do farts travel downwards.

Manticore

I know it's kind of a stupid question, but I really can't see why all of the gas produced by the digestive system does not work it's way upward. (This is a result of currently suffering from severe stomach pains.)

I know it's kind of a stupid question, but I really can't see why all of the gas produced by the digestive system does not work it's way upward. (This is a result of currently suffering from severe stomach pains.)

Peristaltic action of the intestines pushes it down aided by food blocking the gases. Put one fist in front of the other as though you were squeezing something along a pipe and that's peristalsis.

One would assume there's less pressure on the anus side of the intestinal canal than the pressure required to travel back up through the stomach, throat, and mouth... Though gases do escape that way and they're called burps / belches.

Peristaltic action of the intestines pushes it down aided by food blocking the gases. Put one fist in front of the other as though you were squeezing something along a pipe and that's peristalsis.

And that's exactly what wasn't happening. I must have had a blockage somewhere and the gases were building up in, or close to, my stomach causing swelling and pain. (much flatulence overnight and it's a bit better now.)

A good exercise for that is to get on all fours (doggystyle) and slowly from right forward to right back, rocking slowly back and forth yogically... it can get things moving. ;-)

Move as far back and as far forward as you can in a relaxed comfortable manner breathing steadily as you go...

A good exercise for that is to get on all fours (doggystyle) and slowly from right forward to right back, rocking slowly back and forth yogically... it can get things moving. ;-)

Move as far back and as far forward as you can in a relaxed comfortable manner breathing steadily as you go...

I'll try that if it happens again.

If your stools are too hard they make effective gas plugs; 'trapped wind' in technical parlance. :)

Only time I ever had that problem was after eating about a kilo of cheese in one evening (it's not easy to get here - so when I do I tend to overdose).

never eaten a kilo of cheese - lol. I wouldn't do that with the soft squishy stuff!

I don't know if I am imagining it, but, if I eat a lot of dry strong cheddar cheese in a day then the next day my balls are always super full and enlarged... almost as if I need whatever is in the cheese to produce extra sperm or something.... oh, god, reading this back is embarrassing, but I am going to post it anyway in the interest of science.. I have often wondered if eating lots of strong cheese in a block boosts my sperm production ... maybe I am lacking in something that cheese provides or something, lol. idk.

Basically - if I ate a kilo of cheese (strong cheddar), I'd be busting out of my boxers the next day for sure. Maybe it is psychological, but it seems real to me. Happens more with the strong stuff.

PS - I've just looked it up - there is a Daily Mail article that actually says that more than 3 slices of cheese can reduce fertility in a man! Maybe I am imagining it or I'm just a bit odd.... hmm - it also says that female hormones in cheese are 'possibly' to blame... I'm taking it with a pinch of salt, some tomatoes and some lettuce.

Edited by DrP

Send me a block of strong cheddar and I'll see if the same thing happens. :) (Must be at least 15 years since I've even seen real cheddar - when I was young we used to race up the side of Cheddar Gorge - last one to the top got the beers in.)

PM me your address and I'll send it - not sure how well it will travel through the heat to the deepest parts of Africa though. :-/

You could send a freeze-dried product. I know there's Napolina Parmesan done that way; if he likes that vomit-like acidity on the finish. :)

Send me a block of strong cheddar and I'll see if the same thing happens. :) (Must be at least 15 years since I've even seen real cheddar - when I was young we used to race up the side of Cheddar Gorge - last one to the top got the beers in.)

I bet if I vacum pack it well it will get to you in good condition. Now as for what you could send in return, I wonder...what is easy to come by in Africa, smells wonderfull and doesnt weigh much when dried ? :P

A quick thought is Baobab - not much in the way of smell, but the dried powder is (I think) available in sachets and mixes with water to make a drink with a unique flavour (I usually get it frozen as barafu (Swahili for ice lolly).

Baobab tree.

baobab_supply_ancient_baobab.jpeg