wow

ydoaPs

• 3 weeks later...

He has some interesting points of view and I'm not ready to write him off just yet. Carl Sagan, however, was my favorite and just because he dreamed a little farther out does not make him a crackpot.

Science does not start out as facts, there are dreams and visions first.

Bettina

• 2 months later...
Check out this website if you are interested in banning dihydrogen monoxide

dimon

I especially like this bit:

A similar study conducted by U.S. researchers Patrick K. McCluskey and Matthew Kulick also found that nearly 90 percent of the citizens participating in their study were willing to sign a petition to support an outright ban on the use of Dihydrogen Monoxide in the United States.

Do you think they really did this study, or are they just making it up? Can the general public really be this stupid?

I especially like this bit:

Do you think they really did this study' date=' or are they just making it up? Can the general public really be this stupid?[/quote']

Considering the ignorance of the population I'm surprised it was only 90%. Really though, how many actually remember their high school chemistry to any degree at all?

Do you think they really did this study, or are they just making it up? Can the general public really be this stupid?
My teacher pulled this bit in Marine Bio. I was one of two people in the class who knew what it all meant, in a class of thirty-six, and no one I explained it to would believe me. So yes, there are plenty of people out there who are stupid enough.

I can annecdotally confirm this, to a degree. Several friends and I worked on a similar petition during high school for a few weeks. We got about 50 or so signatures, including teachers and honor students before even *one* person caught on.

Penn and Teller did something similar in their show "Bullshit" (which I highly recommend, btw), with similar results.

So yes, people *really* are that ignorant.

Mokele

can't blame them, they don't think that your doing this for a joke, they assume its something they don't see everyday, and if you just ask people off the street they don't want to think about it to much.

if you asked people in chemistry class what dihydrogen monoxide is I'm sure everyone would be able to tell yoyu, if you asked most people what it is they would say h2o, but if you tell them that its the source of all these problems they won't automaticly try and convert it to the molecular formula.

not ignorance, just lazyness.

if you asked people in chemistry class what dihydrogen monoxide is I'm sure everyone would be able to tell yoyu, if you asked most people what it is they would say h2o, but if you tell them that its the source of all these problems they won't automaticly try and convert it to the molecular formula.

Um, I unfortunately have to contradict you on that. We did get several signatures in chemistry class, iirc.

But then again, southern public schools aren't what you'd call the apex of education...

Mokele