Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind

Itoero

If you say so...

The only thing I've failed at, is persuading you my hypothesis IS valid; ah well, can't win em all.

So you think the bible (I suppose only the NT ?) teaches contentment?

Can you give an example? What makes you content when you read the bible?

Or maybe you mean the bible teaches people how to be content...the ability to be content is inborn, it's an important survivaltool.

And your parents(or whoever educates you) helps the devellopment of this survivaltool.

Edited by Itoero

If you say so...

The only thing I've failed at, is persuading you my hypothesis IS valid; ah well, can't win em all.

At the risk of being absurdly off topic, your hypothesis was " I DO believe the bible to contains wisdom that seems to elude secularism.

... bible, was never intended to be taken literally, it's a collection of stories and parables designed to teach other people how to be content; "

which is plainly absurd as discussed.

In respect of my question which was

What wisdom is available in religion, but not science?

Your reply

None at all, I've never suggested otherwise.

seems, frankly, dishonest.

Edited by John Cuthber

So you think the bible (I suppose only the NT ?) teaches contentment?

Yes, that's my hypothesis (JC, ohhh... the irony) but for all the original major religions/bibles.

Can you give an example?

The sermon on the mount.

Or maybe you mean the bible teaches people how to be content...the ability to be content is inborn,

I have conceded, a few post's ago, that contentment is innate "A being without fear tends to be content, then we grew up and learnt how"; do you see an abundance of contentment in the world around you?

Contentment when lost is hard to find in the forest of life, sometimes only a clear path (yellow bricks, occasionally) can lead the way back.

At the risk of being absurdly off topic, your hypothesis was " I DO believe the bible to contains wisdom that seems to elude secularism.

... bible, was never intended to be taken literally, it's a collection of stories and parables designed to teach other people how to be content; "

which is plainly absurd as discussed.

In respect of my question which was

Your reply

seems, frankly, dishonest.

As does this post.

Please see above for my actual hypothesis, which is valid despite your level of credulity.

Edited by dimreepr

Yes, that's my hypothesis (JC, ohhh... the irony) but for all the original major religions/bibles.

The sermon on the mount.

I have conceded, a few post's ago, that contentment is innate "A being without fear tends to be content, then we grew up and learnt how"; do you see an abundance of contentment in the world around you?

Contentment when lost is hard to find in the forest of life, sometimes only a clear path (yellow bricks, occasionally) can lead the way back.

A

Again, contentment is not innate, the ability to be content or to be in fear is innate.

edit: If contentment is innate then you can't know if you are maltreating a baby.

Edited by Itoero

The sermon on the mount.

As does this post.

Please see above for my actual hypothesis, which is valid despite your level of credulity.

People will read what you said - here's a reminder of your hypothesis- and don't forget that it's a verbatim quote-

" I DO believe the bible to contains wisdom that seems to elude secularism."

and, re my post asking "What wisdom is available in religion, but not science?"

You said " None at all, I've never suggested otherwise."

They will then make their own judgements.

Again, contentment is not innate, the ability to be content or to be in fear is innate.

edit: If contentment is innate then you can't know if you are maltreating a baby.

Yes you can; because they scream at you.

There's a difference between the idea that "contentment is innate" and "contentment needs to be learned".

Where do you learn it from?

Clearly Dimreeper's suggestion that you learn it from the Bible(s) is absurd.

Edited by John Cuthber

Yes you can; because they scream at you.

There's a difference between the idea that "contentment is innate" and "contentment needs to be learned".

Because you are born with possibilities. It seems harsh but the only certainty when you are born is that you will die.

You are born with the abilty to be content or to be in fear.

I think during your education you learn how to deal with those abilities because people obviously prefer to be content then to be in fear, that's why people avoid circumstances or environments which can cause fear or they take necessary precautions to prevent fear.

It's indeed absurd to claim you need religion to be content.

I heard it very oftern that people think you need religion to be a moral person.

That's a reason why atheists are often so mistrusted in the USA...they seem to think any religion is better then no religion.

People will read what you said - here's a reminder of your hypothesis- and don't forget that it's a verbatim quote-

and, re my post asking "What wisdom is available in religion, but not science?"

They will then make their own judgements.

Ok, for the benefit of others I'll provide the context, of your cherry picking:

Since my hypothesis is "The bibles are trying to teach contentment", Which I define as wisdom, please point to the curriculum of any secular society that teaches contentment; it's perfectly possible that secularism is (or will in the future) being taught which is why I used the word "seems".

my post asking "What wisdom is available in religion, but not science?"

In the context of the above, my reply is perfectly reasonable and doesn't contradict my hypothesis.

The question of innateness is irrelevant, the simple fact is, there are millions of people who are discontented.

If one is lucky enough to be naturally content then of course no lesson is required; much like Einstein was never taught GR, it's possible others will come to the same conclusions, but most of us need to be taught GR.

Well personally I learnt it from a lifetime of depression and substance abuse and my dog; in that spontaneous understanding I recognised the same process in some parts of the bible.

I understand why you're so reticent in accepting my argument, after all 'religions bad M'kay', but as a scientist surely you can't dismiss the possibility exists? I won't be holding my breath though.

It's indeed absurd to claim you need religion to be content.

Really??? What of those lucky few that are content because of their religion?

Edited by dimreepr

"Really??? What of those lucky few that are content because of their religion?​"

dimreepr,

This made me wonder whether to a certain extent one is alone when self absorbed, in science, and facts or mathematical models, or consumed with an addiction, and no longer alone when religion, whether deistic, or Spinozian or humanist in nature is added...when someone takes strength from the outside, from an unseen other. That is, one is lame without religion.

Regards, TAR

Edited by tar

"Really??? What of those lucky few that are content because of their religion?​"

dimreepr,

This made me wonder whether to a certain extent one is alone when self absorbed, in science, and facts or mathematical models, or consumed with an addiction, and no longer alone when religion, whether deistic, or Spinozian or humanist in nature is added...when someone takes strength from the outside, from an unseen other. That is, one is lame without religion.

Regards, TAR

The answer to this is in, the first part of, my signature.

..."The bibles are trying to teach contentment", Which I define as wisdom...

If you have to start redefining words to make your point, you should probably accept that you have no valid point to make.

However, if you can show what wisdom or contentment is contained in the Bible(s) but which isn't to be found in the secular world, that would be interesting.

What if you lost the path to contentment? A particular religion or philosophy may help you regain it. In that sense, one may need them in order to achieve it.

That would be relevant if the original claim has been that "some small number of people need religion to be content"; it wasn't.

That would be relevant if the original claim has been that "some small number of people need religion to be content"; it wasn't.

Really???

surely, if even one person found their way (was taught) to contentment through religion, your entire argument is false.

What if you lost the path to contentment? A particular religion or philosophy may help you regain it. In that sense, one may need them in order to achieve it.

True, the bible can help. But there are many other books that can help, books that don't imply superstition, paradoxical 'nonsense' and cruelty.

True, the bible can help. But there are many other books that can help, books that don't imply superstition, paradoxical 'nonsense' and cruelty.

I'm thinking in the sense of whatever version a person happens to come across at the time. They may be looking for something they don't know the form the answer is going to take.

Name one.

"Its Not How Good You Are, Its How Good You Want To Be" by Paul Arden

"Damn Good Advice (For People With Talent)" by George Lois

"Blockbusters; Why Big Hits" And Big Risks Are The Future Of The Entertainment Business by Anita Elberse

"The Doodle Revolution" by Sunni Brown

"How To Win Friends And Influence People" by Dale Carnegie

There are many more...

edit: Here you can also find what you are looking for

http://www.sparringmind.com/psychology-books/

Edited by Itoero

"Its Not How Good You Are, Its How Good You Want To Be" by Paul Arden

"Damn Good Advice (For People With Talent)" by George Lois

"Blockbusters; Why Big Hits" And Big Risks Are The Future Of The Entertainment Business by Anita Elberse

"The Doodle Revolution" by Sunni Brown

"How To Win Friends And Influence People" by Dale Carnegie

There are many more...

Really, any relevant ones?