Today I Learned

DrmDoc

Today I learned that the Laws of Relativity and it's relevant math suggests that Earth's core is 2.5 years younger than its surface and, according to this SciShow Space video, the center of our sun is 39,000 years younger than its surface!

Edited by DrmDoc

I have just learned that there is no Wikipedia page about the Wikipedia page about the Wikipedia page about Wikipedia

This is what happens to my mind when Im trying to make a tuff call in poker.

This is what happens to my mind when Im trying to make a tuff call in poker.

I have just learned that poker players have their own spellings. :)

Today I learned that the Laws of Relativity and it's relevant math suggests that Earth's core is 1.5 years younger than its surface and, according to this SciShow Space video, the center of our sun is 39,000 years younger than its surface!

Have you watched the video? They claim it's 2.5 years, and Feynmann got it wrong.

Today I learned that Feynman has only two "n"s

I have just learned that poker players have their own spellings. :)

You mean the jargon that is used by poker players to exchange information about what happened in a certain hand for example? This jargon is actually very effective at compacting information. Its not only spelling though, its practically a whole language both written and spoken :)

Have you watched the video? They claim it's 2.5 years, and Feynmann got it wrong.

Today I learned that Feynman has only two "n"s

Yes, you're quite correct. It was 2.5 instead of 1.5 years. 1.5 years was their initial calculation, whereas, 2.5 years was their final more precise calculation.

Is that the amount produced each day? year? lifetime?

I think that's a million toilet sessions.

Sewage mining for metals

A Japanese sewage treatment facility mines the sewers for metals. This idea was also tested by the US Geological Survey (USGS) which found the sewage generated by 1 million people contained 13 million dollars worth of precious metals.[29][30]

But that makes it $13 worth per dump - which is rather hard to swallow. (Unfortunate metaphor)

from the Wiki references:

The facility recently recorded finding 1,890 grammes of gold per tonne of ash from incinerated sludge. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gold-sewage-odd-idUSTRE50T56120090130

This one suggests the figure is poo/per annum, I think:

Scientists are perusing poop at America’s wastewater treatment facilities for gold, silver, copper and other useful metals. The sewage from one million people could net $13 million in metals each year, all while making fertilizer more efficient.

Even at 300-odd times higher than it first appeared, it's not to be sniffed at. :)

Considering whats going on in other threads for the past few days, Strings crap post here is fascinating and top of the line. Seems that despite tight moderation theres going to be mental excrements flowing no matter what.

Considering whats going on in other threads for the past few days, Strings crap post here is fascinating and top of the line. Seems that despite tight moderation theres going to be mental excrements flowing no matter what.

Interesting facts are everywhere and in the unlikeliest places. I have more than a passing interest in gut science/commensal organisms and that's how I came across it.

Today you learned that 'crap' is named after Thomas Crapper, who designed and sold sanitary ware. :)

Today I learned what's at the bottom of the world deepest borehole. It's in Murmansk, Russia and it's 12,262 meters (7.5 miles approx.).

An irritating article - how do you explain that it's the deepest but not the longest hole? Does the longest hole go sideways?

Today you learned that 'crap' is named after Thomas Crapper, who designed and sold sanitary ware. :)

No I didn't - I've known that for decades.

An irritating article - how do you explain that it's the deepest but not the longest hole? Does the longest hole go sideways?

I wondered about that as well. The article did says the longest was an oil well but didn't say what that meant. The article also referenced a SciShow video link which it did not provide. Perhaps the details are in that nonexistent video link.