The source of love

tkadm30

What is the source of Love? Is love transmitted to newborns like a virus from your mama? Can the study of love (Loveology) measure the power of love from the beginning? Can artificial intelligence replicate love? My opinion is that the essence of love is immaterial and not bound to classical physics. Your mama is the source of love. The power of Love can be seen as the fourth dimension of consciousness: It require incredible psychological energy to share true Love; Love is energy of the mind to accept your mama as yourself.

There are many types of love - the Greeks have about 5 different words for it where we have one that covers many situations (family love, erotic love, parental love, freindships, brotherly and sisterly love).

The classic man/woman love is re enforced by a chemical in the brain called oxytocin. It's all just chemistry.

A more exiting question might be 'what is the sauce of love'?

Edited by DrP

There are many types of love - the Greeks have about 5 different words for it where we have one that covers many situations (family love, erotic love, parental love, freindships, brotherly and sisterly love).

The classic man/woman love is re enforced by a chemical in the brain called oxytocin. It's all just chemistry.

A more exiting question might be 'what is the sauce of love'?

Hi DrP,

The source of love is clearly misindurstood by science.

I'm interested in the philosophical validity of scientific love.

What do you mean by the "sauce of love" ? Do you mean to categorize love on different perceptual sensations?

I'm thinking the "source" of love must be immaterial in nature and a type of energy we acquire from the mind/matter link of the mother

during pregnancy.

1 - I'm not sure love is misunderstood by science - I think it is down to chemistry in the brain. We love because we evolved to do so - our offspring benefit from it from a survival perspective. We feel safer because of it if we have a loving partner - it is about survival. People that love each other fight harder to protect those they love, thus there is a survival benefit from it.

2 - Philosophical validity? I am not sure science needs any philosophical validity... I am not sure I am clear on what you mean here.

3 - "sauce of love" - I was trying to be humorous. It can mean a number of things depending on how your mind is working... Sauce = spice... people 'spice up their love lives with saucy things. It can also be taken literally, as in a sauce that you dribble over someone.. lol, or indeed the sauce that is produced by either of the participants... any way - sorry about that - it wasn't meant that seriously.

4 - "source"... "mother.." - well I think this fits in with the evolutionary argument quite well - we get those genes from our mother - our mothers are genetically programmed to love their offspring to give them a better chance of survival. It isn't a mysterious "type of energy" - it is a natural drive to protect your young engrained into us from evolutionary hereditary. It manifests in the brain due to a chemical called oxytocin.

4 - "source"... "mother.." - well I think this fits in with the evolutionary argument quite well - we get those genes from our mother - our mothers are genetically programmed to love their offspring to give them a better chance of survival. It isn't a mysterious "type of energy" - it is a natural drive to protect your young engrained into us from evolutionary hereditary. It manifests in the brain due to a chemical called oxytocin.

I don't think the essence of love is genetic. For example, love is not a feeling which can be learned. It is "acquired" by our consciousness in the womb and emerges as the intrinsic nature of (loving) humans. Furthermore, there's no empirical evidences that DNA interacts with the unity of consciousness: The science of love/consciousness is a emerging scientific domain to investigate the immaterial nature of love.

"Immaterial nature" - I would say it is far from immaterial - It is ingrained in us and is probably an important trait for survival as a species.

"...no evidences that DNA interacts with the unity of consciousness"... Our brains are what are responsible for our consciousness... our brains are the product of the evolution of our DNA. - Thus - a direct relationship - we are conscious and we love because of our brains. Our brains are a direct result of millions of years of evolution and natural selection. It HAS to be genetic - what else could it be?

I'm still not convinced true love is genetic. Sexual orientation is not something we inherit from our genes. Love is a emerging property of the human consciousness. The essence of love and consciousness are non-physical phenomenons because we cannot measure the mind capacity to acquire love. In my opinion, the feeling of love is not a gene-mediated function but rather a complex experience of the unity of consciousness: The mind/matter link is evidence that love is a type of energy independent from DNA regulation and is purely immaterial/emerging in nature.

QUOTE: "Love is an emerging property of human consciousness"...

Ok - I accept that love is due to our consciousness... where is our conscious from? ANS:- the brain. Where is our brain from? Ans: it has evolved over millions of years and the make up of it is encoded in our DNA.

QUOTE:"Love is a type of energy independent from DNA"..

This just does not follow logically from "Love is an emerging property of consciousness" - It is from the brain - which is a biological machine defined by our DNA. Energy is something specific in science and it is not anything to do with love (other than it takes energy to love.... but then it takes energy to do or to conceive of anything).

"sexual orientation is not something we inherit from our genes" - Are you sure? Do you have any references for this? I am sure there are people that would argue otherwise and I am not sure what it has to do with love.

"sexual orientation is not something we inherit from our genes" - Are you sure? Do you have any references for this? I am sure there are people that would argue otherwise and I am not sure what it has to do with love.

The point I was trying to make is that love is independent from sexual orientation. Anyways, it seems logical to me that love and sexual orientation are not directed by genes but from a emerging property of our consciousness. The energy potential of consciousness is Love. Love is a non-physical energy mediated by the mind/matter link.

Anyways, it seems logical to me that love and sexual orientation are not directed by genes but from a emerging property of our consciousness.

And that comes from our genes.

The energy potential of consciousness is Love.

Please provide some evidence for the "energy potential of consciousness". How is it detected / measured?

Love is a non-physical energy mediated by the mind/matter link.

Nonsense.

wikipedia

Oxytocin (Oxt; /ˌɒksᵻˈtoʊsɪn/, /ˌɒksi-/) is a human peptide hormone and neuropeptide that is used as a medication to facilitate childbirth.[3][4][5] Oxytocin is normally produced by the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus and released by the posterior pituitary.[6] It plays a role in social bonding, sexual reproduction in both sexes, and during and after childbirth.[7] Oxytocin is released into the bloodstream as a hormone in response to stretching of the cervix and uterus during labor and with stimulation of the nipples from breastfeeding.[8] This helps with birth, bonding with the baby, and milk production.[8][9] Oxytocin was discovered by Henry Dale in 1906.[10] Its molecular structure was discovered in 1952.

Bold mine

Without oxytocin, mothers milk could fail, mother love could fail, and birth could fail. I believe serotonin is also important, and without them mothers don't do well. One may argue that mind is not inherited, but chemistry is, and it affects mind.

Anyways, it seems logical to me that love and sexual orientation are not directed by genes but from a emerging property of our consciousness.

Our consciousness is a mix of stored knowledge and intelligence.

Your intelligence and the amount of knowledge you can store is in your DNA.

But the kind of knowledge that is stored is obviously not in your DNA.

Love and sexual orientation are directed by your genes and external factors.

Please provide some evidence for the "energy potential of consciousness". How is it detected / measured?

Is consciousness a form of energy? I don't know the answer to this. What I trust is that consciousness and love are immaterial

energy sources. The electromagnetic brain waves vibrations are a evidence of this energitic presence.

Is consciousness a form of energy? I don't know the answer to this.

No.

What I trust is that consciousness and love are immaterial

energy sources. The electromagnetic brain waves vibrations are a evidence of this energitic presence.

The brain waves are the result of biochemical reactions. The same ones that consciousness (and love) arises from. So you have things back to front.

Consciousness is a small energy, like a butterfly, that can have large consequences, like a hurricane. Hitler's consciousness caused WWII, and Faraday revolutionized the world by discovering electromagnetism and other things.

Our consciousness is a mix of stored knowledge and intelligence.

Your intelligence and the amount of knowledge you can store is in your DNA.

But the kind of knowledge that is stored is obviously not in your DNA.

Love and sexual orientation are directed by your genes and external factors.

Love and sexual orientation are evidences that we have free will over our thoughts. The mind/matter connection is not directed by genes, and thinking consciousness is nothing but a electrochemical soup is incorrect. You have to consider macroscopic quantum-like effects in the phenomenology of love, to understand how/why love is "quantum energy".

Love and sexual orientation are evidences that we have free will over our thoughts. The mind/matter connection is not directed by genes, and thinking consciousness is nothing but a electrochemical soup is incorrect. You have to consider macroscopic quantum-like effects in the phenomenology of love, to understand how/why love is "quantum energy".

Clearly bollocks.

"Love and sexual orientation are evidences that we have free will over our thoughts. "

No, it demonstrates the opposite.

Plenty of people fall in love with "unsuitable" partners.Think of Romeo and Juliet.

They would, generally, prefer to fall for someone more attainable- but they don't have any choice in the matter.

That's because it's down to chemistry in teh brain- rather than logic or common sense.

And this

"he mind/matter connection is not directed by genes, and thinking consciousness is nothing but a electrochemical soup is incorrect. You have to consider macroscopic quantum-like effects in the phenomenology of love, to understand how/why love is "quantum energy". "

is word salad.

Clearly bollocks.

"Love and sexual orientation are evidences that we have free will over our thoughts. "

No, it demonstrates the opposite.

Plenty of people fall in love with "unsuitable" partners.Think of Romeo and Juliet.

They would, generally, prefer to fall for someone more attainable- but they don't have any choice in the matter.

That's because it's down to chemistry in teh brain- rather than logic or common sense.

And this

"he mind/matter connection is not directed by genes, and thinking consciousness is nothing but a electrochemical soup is incorrect. You have to consider macroscopic quantum-like effects in the phenomenology of love, to understand how/why love is "quantum energy". "

is word salad.

I disagree. True love exists independently of sexual evolution and biological factors. True love is not programmable by genes in the brain, nor can it be influenced by our behavior. Try to educate yourself on the phenomenology of love before attempting to understand why it is independent from neurological/genetic influences.

I disagree. True love exists independently of sexual evolution and biological factors. True love is not programmable by genes in the brain, nor can it be influenced by our behavior.

As you have provided no evidence to support this assertion, I think we can dismiss it as a baseless opinion.

Try to educate yourself on the phenomenology of love before attempting to understand why it is independent from neurological/genetic influences.

Try to be less condescending when people disagree with your baseless opinions.

I disagree. True love exists independently of sexual evolution and biological factors. True love is not programmable by genes in the brain, nor can it be influenced by our behavior. Try to educate yourself on the phenomenology of love before attempting to understand why it is independent from neurological/genetic influences.

Why do you imagine that I'm the one who needs educating?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

True love is not influenced by our behavior nor our genes you say? What then causes love? Cupido?