Exams

ed84c

Science? You have GCSE's in 'Science'? What ever happened to Physics, Biology and Chemistry?

Some people do seperate sciences, but alot of the time if you do that you can only take at most 2.

I personally did "double science" a few years ago which included equal amounts of each, which is the way most high schools do it :|

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that is still the way it is done... the vast majority do "Double Science" where you do an equal amount of bio/chem/phys and take 2 exams at the end which are scored together, whatever grade you get for those papers combined, say an A, then because you are doing Double Science your end result is 2 A's.

You can actually do "Triple science" where you take each part individually, however very few people actually take it. When tables come out tomorrow with GCSE's I'll look to see if it gives single/double/triple science seperately and how many people take them.
I took tripple, my school didn't ask me to take it they just assumed I would. :rolleyes:

Guest Ambigere

How's the syllabus like for science, 5614?

My Form 6 syllabus, for science stream, has Bio, Chemistry, and Physics. I take Biology and Chemistry, where for Chemistry, it's furthur divided to 'Physical Chem', 'Organic Chem' and 'Inorganic Chem'.

For some info about single/double/triple science here are some stats from the The Times newspaper:

Type: Single

Number taking (approx): 90,000

Average grade: C - F

Type: Double

Number taking (approx): 1,000,000

Average grade: B - D

Type: Triple

Number taking (approx): 50,000

Average grade: A* - C

So you can see that triple is taken by a few people who are expected to do well, doulbe is standard what most people do and single is for people who are likely to not do so well.

Guest Ambigere

Nice system. Is the average grade for finals or is it the average for monthly exams, finals and projects added up?

Here it depends on the school. Bio, Chem and Physics are taught in all for Form 6, but if you want subjects like Computing, it's hard to find a school that has the subject. Gah! Wish my school had..

Nice system. Is the average grade for finals or is it the average for monthly exams, finals and projects added up?

It depends! You either get 'modular' which means that you will probably have taken at least 2 exams (counting for about 20% of the whole GCSE) and then you'll have coursework (counting for another (approx) 20%) and then the finals will count for the other 60% of the GCSE.

However this varies a lot. In Science I took 12 modules counting for 15% and in computers there is 4 seperate courseworks which together count for 60% of the whole GCSE.

Type: Double

Number taking (approx): 1' date='000,000

Average grade: B - D

[/quote']

This is incorrect, there were 1,000,000 grades awarded, however as this is Double Science and the grade 1 person get is awarded twice the actual number taking the exam would have been 500,000

My B# in statistics was sorted out (mentioned in post #46), so I ended up with an A*

Totalling 6A*s 3As and 1B

I think realistically the best I could have hoped for (realistically) was to get one (or maybe two!) of those As to an A*

If they gave out non-standardised scores they'd have to change the grade boundaries every year, as well as that it would be impossible make a comparison between different years, consequently all results given out are standardised, as far as I know that is, ie. AQA, Edexcel, OCR.

• 8 months later...

How come there's no exam ethos this year !!! I feel left out !!!

Probably because I'm the only one here at SF doing GCSEs.

Anyway - I got my last 3 science modules tomorrow. Nothing to worry about. Pretty easy in fact. But its the starting of the first wave of exams. The second wave (the killer wave) is in June so I still have two weeks left to prepare for the big subjects (including my double science tests - which I'm hoping to scrape an AA - fingers crossed).

Anyway - Good luck to all the people doing GCSEs and AS/A-levels this year.

I don't think your that alond here Cloud, atleast theres me here doing GCSE's! I'm also hoping for AA science, which I think is quite achievable - if only I could get the biology right! How come you are doing your modules this late on?

I have my first two exams next week, English Lit (EEK!!) and RS.

No wonder you all know so much about physics! It all makes sense! A science forum WOULD attract science based students and people...

Do they have work based semesters with your type of fields? You know for practical experience. That would be fun, but I am sure you need alot of theory inorder to even benefit from such an experience so, I guess not.

I don't think your that alond here Cloud' date=' atleast theres me here doing GCSE's! I'm also hoping for AA science, which I think is quite achievable - if only I could get the biology right! How come you are doing your modules this late on?

I have my first two exams next week, English Lit (EEK!!) and RS.[/quote']

I got AA in GCSE science it was so easy, i'm doing AS exams this summer they seem a bit harder.

Well, I'm doing the IB Diploma Programme (check out http://www.ibo.org for more info on that). It's basically 3 Higher level (HL) and 3 Standard Level (SL) classes, plus an extended essay (4000 words max... topic of your choice) and Theory of Knowledge (a year of a philosophy class... of sorts. Done in 2nd semester of your second last year, and first semester of your last year).

My HL's were:

Physics

Math

English Language A1

and my SL's were:

Chemistry

History of the Islamic World

Arabic Language B

Finished on the 15th, but was still quite a challenge. To tell you the truth, Math was my biggest worry, but I think it turned out ok. Paper 3 was a pain tho... oh well. As for the rest, I did fine I think.

Basically dealt with stress/jitters by gaming about 30 mins every night, no matter what. Just to give my mind a bit of a break. Mostly gamed Serious Sam II. Amazing mindless game, and some mindless humor to lighten the mood.

Wow, I'm just in highschool, no university... the standard courses that deprive me of my sanity. So boring.

Chem 30 part A and B written and MC

English 30-1 part A and B comprehension, essay and personal response

Social 30, world history and ideologies, both part A and B MC and essay

Calculus, part A and B written and MC

I took on a bit of a load this semester for myself. Alberta is the only province in Canada that puts both world history and ideologies in one class, one semester. Everyone else splits it up, like the sciences (chem/bio/physics)

Grr.

Those diplomas are creeping up pretty damn fast.

Anyways, dealing with pre-exam jitters are a difficult thing to tell you about because I hardly ever get them. If I do, I just stop studying, because I know I'll burn myself out and do horribly. If it happens, I read or watch something completely irrelevant.

And Y-S, it depends how your exam is weighted. or wherever you go to school. My exams are worth 50% of my grade this year, which could either be a really good or horrible thing. Actually, I haven't technically passed any of those subjects up there except chem, because I currently have a 100 in that (which could also be ruined, I still have another unit final)

So, I don't exactly have the glory of accidentally sleeping in, missing an exam (like I did last year) and still passing my course. They were only weighted 30% then, poo.

I managed to get through the usually horrendous English Literature exam today, considering my lack of knowledge of "of mice and men" and the bastard anthology...!

It turns out the two essay questions I answered, I have aleady done them in one of many practice exams! Oh how I hate English!!

I managed to get through the usually horrendous English Literature exam today' date=' considering my lack of knowledge of "of mice and men" and the bastard anthology...!

It turns out the two essay questions I answered, I have aleady done them in one of many practice exams! Oh how I hate English!![/quote']

I CAME, I SAW, I KICKED ASS.

English Lit couldn't have gone better. Sorry to hear your . . .loss?

And yes - the anthology is a bastard.:D