Exams

ed84c

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have seen the term "GCSEs" used here, but i don't know what it means. is it a british thing or something?
General Certificate of Secondary Education. Its what we (in britain) take at age 16, when leaving compulsary school.

Good luck to everyone taking exams :) !

ive had My chemistry exams 2day. introduction to organic, and foundation physical and inorganic. I've got Statistics tomorrow wich should be ok, providing i can do the perms and combs! This time i had:

Biology: >Making Use of Biology

Geography: >Core concepts in physical

>core concepts in Human

> geographical skills

Mathematics:

>Core (pure) 2

>Probability and Statistics 1

Chemistry:

>Introduction to organic

>foundation to physical and inorganic.

for my GCSEs there were about 100 in my year at school, and about 3 invidulators depending on the amount.

At sixth form there was about 50 doing chemistry and 2 invidulators not from school plus head of chemistry and two people who orgainse the exams.

got gcse statistics in a few weeks time aswell as 3 science modules - maintainance of life, metals and electricity. modules are easy though as for one its only gcse and other it is multiple choicle colour in the cirlces knida thing...

in some perspective gcse's can be harder for the more intelectual types as they have to revert back to "basic" knowledge rather than terminoligies and things they know day-to-day.

just finished my gcse statistics exam, hard work i suppose as it doesnt really interest me... atleast ill never have to hear of spearmans rank correlation coefficant!! also i dont see why they have it 2h 30m, most were done in a hour, i hate waiting for a exam to finish!

i totally agree with you! In my GCSE stats exam last year i asked to go to the toilet to waste a bit of time from it! we didnt even do anywork for the exam, my maths teacher just put me in for the exam. not bad saying i got an A! but damn no A*!

Oh... I came to this thread to ask if anyone else found that Edexcel Stats paper extraordinarily easy (hmm, maybe!) and if anyone else finished the 2.5hr exam after about 1.5hrs (yes!).

Anyway, did anyone do AQA Electronics??? If so you know that flow diagram with the lift being called from ground to 1st floor with the 'is person in door' check; does anyone know why that flow diagram (say no more than 5 boxes excluding those provided) was a 10 mark question (plus another 2 for quality)???

yes yesterdays stats paper was very easy - there was only a little bit of what most people would consider "real maths", the rest was more like an english exam. yea almost everyone finished it within a 1h/1h30m. wish our school would offer electronics!

Our school offerred it to 3 people one term into year 10... only 2 people accepted it (me and one other!), we never really had a proper teacher, there are two "tech" (ie. resistant materials) teachers, only one of them has ever taught electronics before and he was teaching the resistant materials I'd just left. The other teacher knows a bit, but not really enough to teach the advance side (or troubleshoot not working circuits). But hey it was good fun and I'm hoping (and its a very realistic hope) for an A*.

When people get your grades post em here!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can hardly remember any of the papers, I remember stats was the easiest exam I've ever taken and everyone agreed and that french wasn't so good, otherwise can't remember much.

About electronics I remember there was a flow chart worth like 6 marks which had about 3, 4 or 5 boxes and the 2 of us taking electronics in my school (plus teachers) couldn't work out why it was worth so many marks. Anyway, did well in the coursework so hoping for good grades.

Everyone post your results!

I've applied to do:

Physics, Chemistry, ICT, Maths, Further Maths

for AS & Alevel, should get into that!

yes, i remember the question. I could remember the flow chart from IT revision. How i did? Tommorow we shall see

btw, you get to do further maths instead of GS? 1 person in my school is allowed too [/envy] but the collage still maintains youre not allowed to do that.

What's GS??? We can, within reason, do whatever we want. It's a 6th form, not college, so they teach every subject, not just sciences.

btw, 6 people from my school got into Oxbridge this year, hope I do in 2 years!

That's what I thought it'd stand for... but I dunno what "General studies" is either! We just chose what AS levels we are doing and that's all we do (except we have to do PE and religious studies, but that's not an Alevel, just the classes).

So I got:

Electronics: A*

ICT: A*

Science: A* A* (Double Science counts for 2 grades) (374/400 in the finals)

Maths: A* (300/300 in the final)

English Lit: A

English Lang: A

Religiousy stuff: A

French: B

Statistics: B#

Now what does B# mean??? It means I missed part of the exam, weird, because I certainly didn't. In addition everyone in my school who took statistics got the same # so there must be a problem somewhere! After an A* in stats coursework and mocks and a very easy exam I expected an A*, hopefully this # will be sorted out and the B will go to an A*.

(Subjects which don't have an actual score next to them I didn't get a mark!)

Science? You have GCSE's in 'Science'? What ever happened to Physics, Biology and Chemistry?

Sad isn't it! I suppose at least this way my physics/chem can boost my bio enough to get the A*

You can actually do "Triple science" where you take each part individually, however very few people actually take it. When tables come out tomorrow with GCSE's I'll look to see if it gives single/double/triple science seperately and how many people take them.