Caffeine and grey hair

corza000

My buddy and I have had a debate for a long time over the link between grey hair and caffeine. He believes my grey hair coming through has been an effect by my intake of caffeine. I'm on the contrary as I am yet to see any evidence substantiating it. Can anyone chime in on our debate?

Considering how popular coffee and cola drinks are, I'm sure if there was any real connection then a link between caffeine and grey hair would have become common knowledge by now.

Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence.

Thanks for your reply Daecon. His view is more of an indirect link eg the effect on nutrients and bioavailability and the flow on effect from there. He said that grey hair overall has increased in many societies but there have been no concrete reasons as to say why and he thinks caffeine is one major cause.

Then he needs to show that:

1. There has been an an increase in the rate of grey hair in many societies.

2. That this is independent of age (i.e. not just because people are living longer)

3. That there has a been a corresponding increase in caffeine intake in the same societies over the same time.

4. That there is a causal link between 1 and 3, not just a correlation.

This could be a very interesting research project. But until it is completed, I would be tempted to say "meh".

Ok that seems like a fair proposition but obviously too difficult for us to complete. There are many sources claiming the link on the internet but I can't seem to trace any back to a study. Surely there is some research already out there on this?

If there is no obvious reason to suspect an effect, why would anyone research it? There are a larege number of studies on caffeine intake and health issues but I have not seen anything affecting melanine production so far.

You would expect it to affect other melanin-populated areas as well; eyes, skin.

Thanks for the replies. The debate still lives on with my buddy. Good points regarding the effects on melanin. His argument is more related to the effect caffeine has on key nutrients which aid the development of hair/melanin e.g. B12, zinc, copper etc. I've tried researching the link in general and it is pretty common on the internet however the sources seem a bit sketchy.

Thanks for the replies. The debate still lives on with my buddy. Good points regarding the effects on melanin. His argument is more related to the effect caffeine has on key nutrients which aid the development of hair/melanin e.g. B12, zinc, copper etc. I've tried researching the link in general and it is pretty common on the internet however the sources seem a bit sketchy.

My first thought was vasoconstriction but I can't find anything of substance to support it.

Noticed andean and amazonian people have much less grey hair. Their consumption of caffeine is not common.
Probably other tribes in the planet show the same. If not another variable; -genetics-.

Tried looking at pictures of their elders hair, and found most use hats. Which brings another variable to the table... If hats retard the appearance of grey hair. Combining variables does not provide very solid evaluation of causes.

Check for dietary characteristics of people groups who do not exhibit grey hair to relate influences. Check if your ancestors had grey hair.

Ok that seems like a fair proposition but obviously too difficult for us to complete. There are many sources claiming the link on the internet but I can't seem to trace any back to a study.

That would seem to confirm this as just some sort of folk belief or "meme". There has been a lot of research on the effects of caffeine. Yet despite this there is a popular belief that it is harmful in some way (lots of people talk about giving up on or reducing caffeine when they are on a "health kick" but there is no objective reason for this).

Thanks for these great replies. I'm certainly building up a good resource for this debate. Another thing I thought of the other day- given the greying is predominantly in the areas you would expect greying caused by age (sides), the argument that my buddy has would have to improve the greying caused by the effects of aging alone. That would make it harder to substantiate wouldn't it?

My buddy and I have had a debate for a long time over the link between grey hair and caffeine. He believes my grey hair coming through has been an effect by my intake of caffeine. I'm on the contrary as I am yet to see any evidence substantiating it. Can anyone chime in on our debate?

I haven't had a drop of caffeine in any form for a number of years and have an abundance of gray and graying hair; therefore, I doubt caffeine is the cause graying unless it has a cumulative effect from earlier use. What I've read, however, is that graying has a genetic factor that causes an accumulation of hydrogen peroxide (HP) in hair follicles, which produces oxidative stress leading to discoloration. As this NBC article reports, scientist have determined that younger people abundantly produce a catalase enzyme that reduces HP to water and oxygen. As we age, this enzyme's production decreases and we become increasingly gray. I am not aware of any report suggesting caffeine as a cause of catalase under production. I hope this helps.

Thanks DrmDr!

So I've received a response from my buddy. He states that caffeine is a fair contributor to grey hair (not the complete and only cause) as a result of its abilities to effect absorption of key nutrients such as zinc and copper needed for hair health/colour. He did refer me to a study regarding malabsorption of nutrients (no link to hair though). He refuted my claim that the grey is a sign of age due to it being on the sides of the head, as he said that there is no genetic or pre programmed order that your hair will go grey.

Thoughts?

Thanks DrmDr!

So I've received a response from my buddy. He states that caffeine is a fair contributor to grey hair (not the complete and only cause) as a result of its abilities to effect absorption of key nutrients such as zinc and copper needed for hair health/colour. He did refer me to a study regarding malabsorption of nutrients (no link to hair though). He refuted my claim that the grey is a sign of age due to it being on the sides of the head, as he said that there is no genetic or pre programmed order that your hair will go grey.

Thoughts?

I think your friend is on the wrong side of this argument. Hair color is produced by two types of melanin: eumelanin and pheomelanin. I've found no link between the production of melanin and the absorption of any particular nutrient other than vitamin B12 deficiency. I would refer your friend to this Wikipedia page for more details and links to further studies. It seems genetics is indeed a primary factor.

He's referred me to a couple of studies (he believes there are more). Fatemi 2012 and Bhat 2013 conclude that those with greying hair are much more likely to have ferritin, D3, copper and B12 deficiencies. His claim is that caffeine has huge effect on the bioavailability of these nutrients thus the link to grey hair...

He's referred me to a couple of studies (he believes there are more). Fatemi 2012 and Bhat 2013 conclude that those with greying hair are much more likely to have ferritin, D3, copper and B12 deficiencies. His claim is that caffeine has huge effect on the bioavailability of these nutrients thus the link to grey hair...

If that was the case then it would occur in the younger population as well. Seen many grey-haired teenagers, given the prevalence of highly-caffeinated energy drinks and the like amongst that group?

I agree with SJ; if your friend was right, caffeine consumption in the form of highly potent energy drinks would virtually assure early incidents of graying among young people, but that hasn't happened. Cultures throughout Asia and other lands have provided caffeine through teas and coffee to their young for several centuries without creating populations that seem to gray unusually early. To-date, I've reviewed no credible evidence specifically suggesting the effects of caffeine on hair coloration. Unless your friend can provide studies that directly and empirically link caffeine consumption to lower melanin production or nutrient absorption, he's completely wrong.

Edited by DrmDoc

• 1 month later...

OK...So, hair color is formed by a chemical called melanin, which is an organic group of naturally occurring dyes found in many organisms. It in turn is created by the amino acid tyrosine. Well, rather, by the oxidation of tyrosine. So..The more Tyrosine breaks down due to exposed to oxygen, the more it is created, or it's color, it's pigmentation, is enhanced.

As we age, melatonin production slows, so our hair is not any longer infused with that organic pigment.

Caffeine, or any other substance, would thus have to interfere or stop the process of Tyrosine oxidation in order to cause hair to turn gray or white or silver. Those bring the optional colorations for hair bereft of pigmentation.

There has been some evidence that Coffee..which of course contains high levels of caffeine, ​ posesses anti oxidant abilities!

Amazingly....Your friend may have a credible hypothesis.

I will research this further. As a biologist and coffee addict, it intrigues me. Thanks!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-buzz-on-coffee

Edited by Velocity_Boy