Last cig at night - smoking cessation

StringJunky

I started smoking when I was 12 years old. Both of my parents smoked like chimneys. Not only did they not miss one or two, they didn't miss entire packs. Everything in our culture, in the US anyway, said smoking would make me cool, and attract beautiful women.

Well I wasn't quite that bad. I quit when I was 20, 28, and just this spring after a year of smoking. Why did I start again? I would like to say stress because I was under stress, but that's just that little addict in my head. My wife was having complications with a pregnancy at 28, and my mom was dying of cancer last year when I started up again. So I was under stress, but I know its because I'm an addict. Both cigarettes and chewing tobacco.

When you are quitting smoking there are two addictions you are getting over. One is physical and the other is psychological. The physical one is tough but it's over in about month. In that time all the nicotine and predominant metabolite cotinine has left the body. In my opinion cold turkey is the way to go. You will just be torturing yourself gradually quitting or using a patch. You are just postponing getting that crap out of your system. After that you have to work on the psychological addiction. For me that never really goes away. No I don't always want to have s smoke or a chew, but I want to at least once a day. It's like my body and brain have a perfect memory of nicotine. That memory tells me, wouldn't it be great? At those times I just try to remember the physical addiction. That one that gets you up in the morning to have a smoke, That one that pushes you to take a break for a smoke. That one that cause you to burn holes in everything you own. Also, that psychological addiction is not that bad when the physical addiction has been gone for months and then years. You get used to saying no.

Just writing this post makes me want to have one. So if you are like me, don't go looking for that day when you don't want to having one. Look forward to the day when you don't need to have one.

Spoken like a true ex-addict. That was very interesting and candid. I think you've captured everything about smoking and the problems of giving up very eloquently . Thanks.

Edited by StringJunky

I started smoking when I was 12 years old. Both of my parents smoked like chimneys. Not only did they not miss one or two, they didn't miss entire packs. Everything in our culture, in the US anyway, said smoking would make me cool, and attract beautiful women.

Well I wasn't quite that bad. I quit when I was 20, 28, and just this spring after a year of smoking. Why did I start again? I would like to say stress because I was under stress, but that's just that little addict in my head. My wife was having complications with a pregnancy at 28, and my mom was dying of cancer last year when I started up again. So I was under stress, but I know its because I'm an addict. Both cigarettes and chewing tobacco.

When you are quitting smoking there are two addictions you are getting over. One is physical and the other is psychological. The physical one is tough but it's over in about month. In that time all the nicotine and predominant metabolite cotinine has left the body. In my opinion cold turkey is the way to go. You will just be torturing yourself gradually quitting or using a patch. You are just postponing getting that crap out of your system. After that you have to work on the psychological addiction. For me that never really goes away. No I don't always want to have s smoke or a chew, but I want to at least once a day. It's like my body and brain have a perfect memory of nicotine. That memory tells me, wouldn't it be great? At those times I just try to remember the physical addiction. That one that gets you up in the morning to have a smoke, That one that pushes you to take a break for a smoke. That one that cause you to burn holes in everything you own. Also, that psychological addiction is not that bad when the physical addiction has been gone for months and then years. You get used to saying no.

Just writing this post makes me want to have one. So if you are like me, don't go looking for that day when you don't want to having one. Look forward to the day when you don't need to have one.

Great post - and very honest.

But I will point out that it is not universal. It is very rare that I even think of myself smoking and cannot remember the last day I actually wanted one

Great post - and very honest.

But I will point out that it is not universal. It is very rare that I even think of myself smoking and cannot remember the last day I actually wanted one

It depends on many factors but I can tell you that you are very lucky to be built the way you are.

koti and imatfaal,

Yeah, I am over smoking, and have pledged to myself to follow the Phi rule and make it not an option...but like koti says, imatfaal, you are lucky to be built the way you are...just two days ago driving home from a meal out with my wife, I said I would like a cigarette. Not anywhere close to meaning it, but one remembers the good feelings associated with an after dinner smoke.

Regards, TAR

it actually felt good to say it, and not mean it

like a little victory dopamine coursing through my brain by NOT smoking

I think it is also a matter of time - my worse days of excess were my twenties, my early thirties saw me clean up my act, and my forties have been downright wholesome. I have also transferred my addictions; to get ready for a day's trading/negotiating I would take stimulants, to get me through the day I would chain smoke and caffeinate, to calm down in the evening I would drink, and to have fun I would find other chemical means - and now I cycle. I ride to work and it energizes me, I ride at lunchtime on my turbotrainer to get away from my desk, I ride back to home and it destresses me, and at the weekend I ride my posh bike for pure pleasure. And I spend far too much time on internet fora

imatfaal,

Sounds like you are in good shape. I wonder about the far too much time on the internet fora. It's sort of a subset of my dopamine theories to consider victory or "being right", as a source of dopamine. In a debate, you pretend you are right and the other is wrong, or at least not as right as you. I am thinking evolutionarily, as humans, we were rewarded by dopamine when we got it right. Solved a problem, remembered where a food source was, outtsmarted an animal, or in some way did a thing right, it made us feel good (dopamine) so we did it again, shared the idea with family and tribe, and basically did things that "felt" good to do. We reward each other with smiles and laughter and song and praise, when we do "good" things. When we get it right.

Regards, TAR

imatfaal,

Sounds like you are in good shape. I wonder about the far too much time on the internet fora. It's sort of a subset of my dopamine theories to consider victory or "being right", as a source of dopamine. In a debate, you pretend you are right and the other is wrong, or at least not as right as you. I am thinking evolutionarily, as humans, we were rewarded by dopamine when we got it right. Solved a problem, remembered where a food source was, outtsmarted an animal, or in some way did a thing right, it made us feel good (dopamine) so we did it again, shared the idea with family and tribe, and basically did things that "felt" good to do. We reward each other with smiles and laughter and song and praise, when we do "good" things. When we get it right.

Regards, TAR

+1 on that tar.

We also get "rewarded" when we agree on things. The search for agreement is as strong with many of us as the need to be right.

• 1 month later...

I've come to the realisation that I'm not mentally or physically desiring a cigarette anymore. I can sit chilled without having to have a smoke. This is a tentative result though because I'm still very much medicated with Zyban but I think I've turned a corner mentally and am pretty positive I can see this through to a relaxed state of continued abstention. I currently tapering off Zyban and meant to take one a day for a couple of weeks but I'm going to stop any day now.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my thread and putting me in the right frame of mind and approach. You've been a big help. :)

Edited by StringJunky

Way to go, brother! There will surely still be occasions when you think about them, but you're very much a nonsmoker now and you're strong enough to stick to your plan. Nice job!

Thanks. I had to relapse on my sugar in coffee because I needed the buzz but it won't be a problem to to stop once this is over. For some reason sugar-free coffee gave me very strong taste taste for a cigarette and felt I had to relent in order to succeed at giving up smoking.

I'm having quite a heavy time mentally with two or three issues atm but I'm not going for the fags which convinces me I'm nearly there. It was nice and productive to get feedback from you all. I think it made a difference.

I'm getting my hit from cycling 20 miles or so nearly everyday; it calms me.

Edited by StringJunky

I've come to the realisation that I'm not mentally or physically desiring a cigarette anymore. I can sit chilled without having to have a smoke. This is a tentative result though because I'm still very much medicated with Zyban but I think I've turned a corner mentally and am pretty positive I can see this through to a relaxed state of continued abstention. I currently tapering off Zyban and meant to take one a day for a couple of weeks but I'm going to stop any day now.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my thread and putting me in the right frame of mind and approach. You've been a big help. :)

It sounds like you're very close to a tipping point, where you'd actually spend less time thinking about smoking if you gave up the anti-smoking procedures. Nice place to be, congratulations!

• 3 months later...

Congratulations StringJunky for quitting to smoke. :)

Today is my first day without smoking.

I've been a heavy smoker for 3 years now, until I realized it is really a psychological addiction.

Unlike cannabis smoking, nicotine has not been proven useful for anything.

I think quitting to smoke tobacco will help me to lower my BP and rebuild my cardiovascular system, destroyed by smoking and lack of exercise.

Peace!

• 3 weeks later...