UI Technology

Keeera

thanks @Sensei But what does UI Technology mean?

Mouse, keyboard, touchpad, touch screen, 2D graphics, 3D graphics, voice recognition, voice synthesis, gesture recognition, handwriting recognition, Braille input and output, eyeball tracking, ...

But what does UI Technology mean? I was asked to learn a new UI Technology

When computers were just starting out the entire computer was basically a command line like command prompt on windows or the terminal on linux.

Then work began on making graphical user interfaces below is an example of an early computer gui in black and white.

330px-Xerox_Star_8010_workstations.jpg

Edited by fiveworlds

When computers were just starting out the entire computer was basically a command line like command prompt on windows or the terminal on linux.

Linux the first version was released 1991..

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

It was not "command-line prompt on Windows", but MS-DOS for IBM in 1981.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

Edited by Sensei

I think what he meant was:

When computers started out the entire user interface was a terminal, similar to the command-line prompt in Windows or the terminal in Linux.

Of course, even that isn't accurate as the first computers I programmed had user interface which was a person you handed a stack of punched cards to, and then got back a printout a week later.

A few years later we progressed to having terminals which were a keyboard and a printer. This made playing star trek very slow and wasteful of paper...

So, I think the OP should do his essay on paper tape, punched cards and teletypes. Guaranteed to be different from all the other students and to give everyone a good insight into how technology has evolved.

(Not actually on paper tape ... but about paper tape etc ...)

I think what he meant was:

When computers started out the entire user interface was a terminal, similar to the command-line prompt in Windows or the terminal in Linux.

You're right. I rushed too early to reply. Have to remember to reread fiveworlds posts multiple times prior replying.

Of course, even that isn't accurate as the first computers I programmed had user interface which was a person you handed a stack of punched cards to, and then got back a printout a week later.

I was referring to GUIs.

Lets not forget about the wooden mouse.

mouse.jpg

Mouse, keyboard, touchpad, touch screen, 2D graphics, 3D graphics, voice recognition, voice synthesis, gesture recognition, handwriting recognition, Braille input and output, eyeball tracking, ...

I'd like to add that some early computers used a row of 8, 12 or 16 switches for input of boot instructions that read a card or tape. This was done before ROM was available. Whoever powered on the computer had to enter several instruction words via the switches; a push button committed one word to memory, and the next switch settings to the next word of memory.

Edited by EdEarl

I thought I was the only one who remembered Hollerith punch cards...

( but I guess some of you guys are older than my 55 yrs )

A user interface is typically the method used to control the computer.

It progressed from switches, to holes in punch cards to a command line.

The one most people are familiar with is the GRAPHICAL user interface, which was tacked on to ( shell ) CLIs in the early 80s, and originated at Xerox Palo Alto( windows and mouse ). Early adopters were Apple, with their Macintosh, and early MSDOS Windows ( 3 and 3.11 became widespread in 1990, but really took off with Win95 ). All other early adopters such as GEM ( used on Atari ST ) were sued by Apple for intellectual infringement even though Apple had pilfered the GUI from Xerox. Apple even sued Microsoft, but they settled.

Other popular, early adopters were AmigaOS, one of the first able to multitask, and Symbian, which ran on Acorn RISC Machines ( ARM processor, much evolved, found in your mobile phone ). And there were others, but memory fails me, who didn't survive the Apple onslaught.

All of these eventually discarded their old CLI kernel, and current Win10, OSX, iOS and Android have the GUI as an integral part of the OS.

LINUX and its various open source implementations, is the only OS to still feature a shell based GUI.

Edited by MigL