What is in a potato juice ?

Externet

I think the oxalix acid was only ever brought up as something against rust. It is very unlikely to be involved for anti-misting purposes. Here, something is required that can work as whetting reagent/surfactant. In saliva proteins have been suspected (and some found) although I am not sure whether it has been shown whether they are the major components.

I think the oxalix acid was only ever brought up as something against rust. It is very unlikely to be involved for anti-misting purposes. Here, something is required that can work as whetting reagent/surfactant. In saliva proteins have been suspected (and some found) although I am not sure whether it has been shown whether they are the major components.

I brought it up because it seemed to be the only ingredient that might have a significant effect on built up gunk on glass. The anti-misting requirements weren't really addressed by the information I linked to, although the data on the low levels available in a potato were. The anti-misting seemed to be a secondary concern, and was addressed as a separate question in the OP.

If Externet had a bathtub, he could test the anti-fogging properties on his scuba mask.

Well, Now I have a dilemma. I have been told that letting people solve problems for themselves is good.

I am just suggesting that research can be done by yourself.
It's much more entertaining, and brain developing, than just looking up somebody else work and read..
It's like solving puzzle by yourself, versus letting somebody else do it for you..

And, I have had a solution demanded of me

I challenged you to at least isolate compound. And you failed.
Your inability to isolate compound is so much amusing? Then I should have laugh first.
Do not you like my methodology? Then show yours. Where is problem? That you don't want to bother wasting weeks or months on research?

So I don't know whether or not I should say that, were I researching surfactant properties of saliva, I'd look at mucopolysaccharides.

What do people think?

Edited by John Cuthber

" ...If Externet had a bathtub, he could test the anti-fogging properties on his scuba mask."

---> It is not if it works; it is about which compound in a potato performs as wetter/fog preventer. <---

The potato works wetting a windshield under rain. The potato works on my bathroom mirror, it does not fog.

For "...I have been told that letting people solve problems for themselves is good"

'Potatoing' :) the right side of the mask , prevents fogging. Confirmed.

post-295-0-64600300-1454633801_thumb.jpg

Hi John.

~12 hours later, placed the mask again above a steaming cup of water. Both sides fogged, the effect is lost as expected.

On a windshield under rain, it also has a limited duration. The interesting part on an already wet windshield, is that the compound still 'sticks' to the glass for a good while.

Hi John.

~12 hours later, placed the mask again above a steaming cup of water. Both sides fogged, the effect is lost as expected.

On a windshield under rain, it also has a limited duration. The interesting part on an already wet windshield, is that the compound still 'sticks' to the glass for a good while.

" the compound still 'sticks' to the glass for a good while."Is interesting...

I look forward to comparable data from others.

Just for completeness, could you repeat the experiment with a time delay of- perhaps an hour- to address the idea where some volatile compound is involved?

Edited by John Cuthber

Dry. Applied the 'juice', rinsed; placed above a steamy cup, no fogging.

One hour later, placed above a steamy cup. Fogged.

Rinsed only, tried again, did not fog.

Waited another hour, placed above a steamy cup; fogged.

Rinsed and placed above a steamy cup. Partially fogged.

Seems the 'juice' needs to be wet and 'fresh' to perform. (forms a thin water film)

-----------------------------------------------

Why the reply window shows all greyed lately ? When submitting, shows "Loading" , later shows post.

Edited by Externet