Fashion accessories as indicators of personality

IMHO informal attire is a better barometer of personality than formal

Or you could draw conclusions about someone's personality by interacting with them rather than forming superficial prejudices about their appearance.

Yesterday I met with the provost, so I wore dress shoes, trousers, a dress shirt and a tie. Today, I have to crawl down a man hole to get a water sample, so I'm wearing sneakers, old jeans and a hoodie. I don't think my personality drastically changed overnight.

Or you could draw conclusions about someone's personality by interacting with them rather than forming superficial prejudices about their appearance.

Yesterday I met with the provost, so I wore dress shoes, trousers, a dress shirt and a tie. Today, I have to crawl down a man hole to get a water sample, so I'm wearing sneakers, old jeans and a hoodie. I don't think my personality drastically changed overnight.

My contention is that the idiosyncrasies of personality manifest themselves in a more tangible way when we are dressed informally. They also reveal stress levels as you mention in the "man hole" illustration. The very fact that you are prompted to dress for the situation reveals an undercurrent of stress, not to mention an occupational hazard. It is a more granular reflection of the inner workings of the mind.

Why do I get the feeling this thread is just a meek attempt to rationalize walking around in our underwear or going shopping in the equivalent of a house dress and flip-flops?

In Australia we don't need to rationalise walking around in cozzies and thongs; we call it common sense. :P

My contention is that the idiosyncrasies of personality manifest themselves in a more tangible way when we are dressed informally. They also reveal stress levels as you mention in the "man hole" illustration. The very fact that you are prompted to dress for the situation reveals an undercurrent of stress, not to mention an occupational hazard. It is a more granular reflection of the inner workings of the mind.

Nonsense. As a social animal we have developed numerous cultural practices that promote the smooth working of society. Clothing is a key aspect of these practices. In the West suit and tie reflect a serious, business like attitude to interactions.

Stress is not involved. Indeed, quite the reverse. I routinely work from home. For particular types of work, that require a formal, report style of writing, I will dress in suit and tie in order to help create the appropriate mental attitude.

And adhering to specific dress codes also helps to blend in or to display status, if needed. For example, in medical research meetings I wear a suit. It is fitted, indicating I am not a student but its cheapness suggest I am not an MD. Hence it shows that I am a biology researcher. If, on the other hand, I meet mathematicians, I sometimes wear pants.

And adhering to specific dress codes also helps to blend in or to display status, if needed. For example, in medical research meetings I wear a suit. It is fitted, indicating I am not a student but its cheapness suggest I am not an MD. Hence it shows that I am a biology researcher. If, on the other hand, I meet mathematicians, I sometimes wear pants.

What are pants, as opposed to those you wear with a formal jacket...aren't they the same? As you probably know, pants in the UK are underwear.

Edited by StringJunky

I bet the sometimes when you don't, the mathematicians stop staring at their own shoes.

Actually the staring just intensifies.

What are pants, as opposed to those you wear with a formal jacket...aren't they the same? As you probably know, pants in the UK are underwear.

Yes on both accounts.

Nonsense. As a social animal we have developed numerous cultural practices that promote the smooth working of society. Clothing is a key aspect of these practices. In the West suit and tie reflect a serious, business like attitude to interactions.

Stress is not involved. Indeed, quite the reverse. I routinely work from home. For particular types of work, that require a formal, report style of writing, I will dress in suit and tie in order to help create the appropriate mental attitude.

To create the right mental attitude involves eustress, a form of stress.

I do not think that accessories indicate one's personality. Keep in mind that you can buy those being influenced by others (trends, friend's advice etc.) - you do not give anything away to outsider in such case.

That is still a conscious decision, which may reflect on your personality?