Dangers of Aluminum

Elite Engineer

I regularly melt down aluminum cans into ingots to make fun little designs and what not.

Is it safe to handle aluminum ingots or is there any risk of aluminum toxicity, like Tin or lead toxicity?

-Any high risk of the chemical from melting down aluminum cans?

~EE

Nothing is toxic and everything is toxic; the dose is what makes the difference.

It's probably a good idea to wash your hands after working with the ingots but you are not likely to get anything like a toxic dose from working with it.

People make food containers from aluminium.

the biggest toxic risk is probably from chemicals released from the paint on the cans when it burns off.

while reading about iron found in alzheimers brainshttp://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2015/07/iron-containing-inflammatory-cells-seen-in-alzheimers-brains.html

I came across this study showing a direct link to alzheimers and ADHD from aluminium toxicity,http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/03/22/aluminum-toxicity-alzheimers.aspx

I no longer warm my milk up in a aluminium saucepan :)

Edited by sunshaker

Note that that is a single study and is about occupational exposure (i.e. to vapors and dust). I have not yet seen any evidence that you will absorb any significant quantity of aluminium from normal use of cooking utensils. The main source of dietary aluminium is probably from tea.

Note that that is a single study and is about occupational exposure (i.e. to vapors and dust). I have not yet seen any evidence that you will absorb any significant quantity of aluminium from normal use of cooking utensils. The main source of dietary aluminium is probably from tea.

It can no longer be argued that aluminum does not have a role in neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's—the evidence is very clear and growing. It really should not be surprising that people with aluminum toxicity display many of the same symptoms as those with dementia, Parkinson's, ADHD, autism, and other neurological diseases, because aluminum targets exactly these areas of your brain and nervous system.

The best way toprotectarrow-10x10.png yourself is to be careful about your choices in food and personal products, and minimize your use of vaccines and other drugs that are often contaminated with aluminum.

If you cook your food in aluminum foil, you are introducing your own contamination. One investigation found that cooking meats in aluminum foil increases their aluminum concentration. Researchers concluded, "eating meals prepared in aluminum foil may carry a health risk by adding to other aluminum sources." As with many toxins, it isn't one exposure here and there that is so concerning—it's the cumulative effect of many smaller exposures over time that can lead to a toxic metal overload and erosion of your health. According to a 2006 study, cooking meat in aluminum foil increased aluminum levels as follows:10

• Red meats cooked in aluminum foil showed an increase in aluminum by 89 to 378 percent
  • Poultry increased by 76 to 214 percent
  • Aluminum levels increased with higher cooking temperatures and longer cooking times

I am now more aware of the aluminium around me, and have made small adjustments in my life(to be on the safe side).

What are you replacing aluminium cookware etc with?

Iron's toxic, chromium and nickel are carcinogenic so I hope you are not using stainless steel.

Borates and silica are toxic so pyrex type glass is out (and most enamelled or ceramic materials too).

What are you replacing aluminium cookware etc with?

Iron's toxic, chromium and nickel are carcinogenic so I hope you are not using stainless steel.

Borates and silica are toxic so pyrex type glass is out (and most enamelled or ceramic materials too).

...and microwaving food in plastic is out because that leaches phthalates, which mess with the endocrine system. We'll just have to go back to raw.... Sushi anyone? Oh bugger... forgot about the dimethyl mercury in that.

Edited by StringJunky