The Big Crunch Theory

IAstroViz

The Big Crunch theory is pretty simple to explain... Well, irony at it's best!

The Big Crunch is likely to happen because the universe consists of anti-matter and anti-energy. The Big Crunch is quiet literally a universal paperball... (If you know what I mean...) This happens if all anti-matter and anti-energy gives up and lets all of the gravity fall on each other. (If you know what I mean...) Basically, as I said, it becomes a very compressed, universal Paperball and that's the big bang once more... Normaly, quantum-physically this is the process of the universe, more of the circle of life in this case. It starts again and again and again... With absolutely no end. This is called the Big Bounce cycle. (If you know what they mean[isn't my picture])

big-crunch-theory-big-bounce.jpg

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein

It's hard to explain, but there are also many other similar theories out there that explain it more precisely...

IAstroViz :)

Did you have any question you wanted to ask or any discussion point, because so far you've just explained (rather poorly) the big crunch and big bounce theories? Also, since the current observations show accelerated expansion of the universe, both these theories are not supported by evidence.

It's hard to explain, but there are also many other similar theories out there that explain it more precisely...

If by this you mean that there are many theories as to how the universe will eventually come to an end then indeed there are a few - <Ultimate fate of the Universe>

Edited by pavelcherepan

yes...

You have to understand that that is 22 BILLION Years and the Universe can change in that time... I give your saying a yes, but on the other hand the evidence we have today does not cope with the future and deosn't necessarly mean it will be true. But time tends to play with us, right?

yes...

You have to understand that that is 22 BILLION Years and the Universe can change in that time... I give your saying a yes, but on the other hand the evidence we have today does not cope with the future and deosn't necessarly mean it will be true. But time tends to play with us, right?

But if we're talking science we can't speak of some future evidence than may or may not come about, only what we can observe now. Should such conflicting evidence appear in the future, theories will be amended as required but at the moment these two mentioned don't seem to be valid.

That's why it's still called a theory...

In science, a theory is the best you can get. You seem to be referring to a more popular usage of the term, which basically means, "an untested idea that sounds logical and may be correct".

If something is called a theory in science, it won't be called anything better, even if more evidence confirms it. And if its refuted, it will lose its classification as a viable theory.

The Big Crunch is likely to happen because the universe consists of anti-matter and anti-energy.

I smell misunderstanding on your side.

Anti-matter does not have negative mass, with opposite sign to regular matter.

You unfortunately have this scenario wrong as well. The big crunch, and big bounce requires that the universe actual density to be larger than the critical density. Though the critical density term used to define the turning point between an expanding and a contracting universe, this was prior to the discovery of the cosmological constant.

[latex]\rho_c=\frac{3H^2}{8\pi G}[/latex]

[latex]\Omega=\frac{\rho}{\rho_c}=\frac{8\pi G\rho}{3H^2}[/latex]

Today the actual density equals the critical density. This leads to an average mean energy density of

[latex]9.9*10^{-30} g/cm^3[/latex]

Above is WMAP value

Planck is roughly [latex]10^{-29} g/cm^3[/latex]. I would have to check the latest Planck dataset

Or if you prefer [latex]6.6*10^{-10} joules/cm^3[/latex].

By the way this also means the universe geometry is close to flat.

Here is a universe geometry article I wrote

http://cosmology101.wikidot.com/universe-geometry

page 2 covers the FLRW metric in terms of distance measures.

http://cosmology101.wikidot.com/geometry-flrw-metric/

The metric forms is from Barbera Rydens Introductory to cosmology

Edited by Mordred