What really caused the big bang?

seriously disabled

It could have still been in a hot dense state without being a singularity.

Correct, LQC for example doesn't have the singularity condition, due to the bounce.

Singularity can also mean a point where our current physics can no longer describe.

Correct, LQC for example doesn't have the singularity condition, due to the bounce.

Singularity can also mean a point where our current physics can no longer describe.

Could the singularity just be the limit of the maths, ie to zero, but the actual final density was well before that; imagined as a diminishing scale?

I would say that LQG has the constraint on singularities, Mordred; because of the model's smallest building blocks or 'loops', space-time cannot become singular.

But I don't necessarily see this as meaning there had to be a 'bounce' from a previous universe

The problem with proving the big bang, the singularity that started what we know, is that we don't even know if it happened, there is no solid evidence on the theory. Everyone is trying to prove their own proof. Some of you reading this will defiantly disagree with me, but do you actually have evidence of such a thing?

The problem with proving the big bang, the singularity that started what we know, is that we don't even know if it happened, there is no solid evidence on the theory. Everyone is trying to prove their own proof. Some of you reading this will defiantly disagree with me, but do you actually have evidence of such a thing?

It is not clear what you are saying. Are you saying there is no evidence for the singularity? In which case you are correct.

Or are you saying there is no evidence for the big bang model? In which case you are very obviously wrong.

I would say that LQG has the constraint on singularities, Mordred; because of the model's smallest building blocks or 'loops', space-time cannot become singular.

But I don't necessarily see this as meaning there had to be a 'bounce' from a previous universe

Numerous of LQC's papers specify the bounce. This includes there equivelent to chaotic eternal inflation where the bounce forms multiple universes.

As with any metric there is always numerous variations. Your correct on the singularity avoidance being a constraint.

If anyone wants to study LQC here is one of the better study aids on the subject

http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.4598 "Introduction to Loop Quantum Cosmology by Abhay Ashtekar

Edited by Mordred

Since this is all speculation anyway.

A supernova is caused when a star looses mass to quickly and is incapable of supporting itself, thus exploding.

It has already been observed that an entity with a comparatively small surface area can have be incredibly dense, i.e. neutron stars.

Could it be argued that it is possible for an infinitesimal particle of infinite mass could have at somepoint existed and suffered what would have been the equivalent of a supernova? Ejecting its mass and setting about the universe.

A supernova is caused when a star looses mass to quickly and is incapable of supporting itself, thus exploding.

That's not how supernovas work. Supernova happens when a massive star runs out of fuel in its core and electron degenerate pressure is not able to support against the weight of outer layers and then it starts collapsing onto itself.

Could it be argued that it is possible for an infinitesimal particle of infinite mass could have at somepoint existed and suffered what would have been the equivalent of a supernova? Ejecting its mass and setting about the universe.

In that case there'd be a center of expansion. Universe doesn't have one.