Is Nobel Prize suffocating science ?

Chriss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe "Noble's" are given out to quickly, perhaps after a discovery there should be a minimum of 10 years.

In 2011 noble given (for accelerating expansion)

in 1998 the finding that the universe was not only expanding, but was speeding up, or accelerating in its expansion was a shock when it was discovered simultaneously by east coast and west coast teams of astronomers and physicists,” said Mead. “A new form of matter, dark energy, repulsive in nature, was responsible for the speed-up. The teams led by Saul Perlmutter,Adam Riess, and Brian Schmidt won the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics for that discovery.”

2015, now we are being told the universe is slowing down or it as slowed and speeded up at least 7 times.

noble prize 2011 http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2015/06/-since-the-big-bang-the-universe-has-slowed-down-and-speeded-up-7-times.html

http://guardianlv.com/2015/04/universe-expansion-is-slowing-down/

2016, are we NOW going to give "another noble" for proving a (slowing down universe)?

but if anyone said a word against the accelerating universe since 2011 noble they where fools or quacks.

" win win for scientists".

This would have made an interesting new thread (perhaps in "News"). I'm not sure why you put it here.

Unless you think that the discovery that the expansion was accelerating has been shown to be wrong? (Which it obviously hasn't).

Science is a process of continuous discovery. So it isn't practical to wait for ever in case a discovery is overturned one day. Nobel's will said that the prize should be for discoveries made in the previous year. Because there have been a few cases (not this one!) where prizes were given for things that were later shown to be wrong the Nobel committee now delays prizes (interpreting Nobel's wish as the year the discovery was found to be significant).

Higgs and Englert got their Nobel prize 50 years after their initial work. Is that long enough for you!

The delay for awards in physics is longer than the other sciences. And getting longer:

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/news/10.1063/PT.5.2012

2016, are we NOW going to give "another noble" for proving a (slowing down universe)?

Maybe. If it is confirmed, it seems like a pretty important discovery.

Edited by Strange

I believe "Noble's" are given out to quickly, perhaps after a discovery there should be a minimum of 10 years.

In 2011 noble given (for accelerating expansion)

2015, now we are being told the universe is slowing down or it as slowed and speeded up at least 7 times.

noble prize 2011 http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2015/06/-since-the-big-bang-the-universe-has-slowed-down-and-speeded-up-7-times.html

http://guardianlv.com/2015/04/universe-expansion-is-slowing-down/

but if anyone said a word against the accelerating universe since 2011 noble they where fools or quacks.

" win win for scientists".

It's Nobel.

The span from 1998 to 2011 is > 10 years, so what's your point? I think there's only a handful of physics Nobels that have been handed out within a decade of the introduction of the theory or results of the experiment (if the experiment is what won the Nobel, rather than as confirmation of the theory that won it, e.g. the Higgs)

It's Nobel.

The span from 1998 to 2011 is > 10 years, so what's your point? I think there's only a handful of physics Nobels that have been handed out within a decade of the introduction of the theory or results of the experiment (if the experiment is what won the Nobel, rather than as confirmation of the theory that won it, e.g. the Higgs)

The "Higgs" is still under debate,. There are plenty of other theories that explain this 125GeV BUMP. Cern needed to find something, so pushed the Higgs INTO LIMELIGHT.

All I am trying to say is once the Noble prize has been given(rightly or wrongly) it becomes hard to challenge said theory.

A year after Peter Higgs and Francois Englert were handed the Nobel Prize for their work in helping discover the Higgs Boson, a group of scientists have claimed the so-called God particle may not have been found after all.

A team of Danish researchers said that while particle physicists at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) Large Hadron Collider definitely found something, it could have been another particle entirely.

"The current data is not precise enough to determine exactly what the particle is," said Mads Toudal Frandsen of the University of Southern Denmark's Centre for Cosmology and Particle Physics Phenomenology, publishing the team's findings in the Physical Review D journal.

"It could be a number of other known particles."

why neg1? because scientists get NOBLES for proving universe is accelerating?

or SCIENTISTS will get more NOBLES for proving universe is slowing?

Yes WIN WIN for scientists, lose lose for anyone you don't believe everything they tell us, or have their own ideas.

why neg1? because scientists get NOBLES for proving universe is accelerating?

Its is NOBEL.

What is wrong for people getting a Nobel prize for detecting the expansion of acceleration? It was a major new discovery. Please explain exactly what your problem is with it.

As it is, these sort of emotional anti-science rants are the sort of thing that attract negative votes.

Yes WIN WIN for scientists, lose lose for anyone you don't believe everything they tell us, or have their own ideas.

This sounds bitter.

Anyway, only a small number of people get Nobel prizes. I cannot see that such prises have much of an effect on the day to day research of a lot of physicists. That is, unless you are doing something similar to the winner and that can help with funding; see for example the National Graphene Institute at Manchester.

There have been a number of papers published suggesting alternative explanations. None of these people have been called fools or quacks.

Its is NOBEL.

What is wrong for people getting a Nobel prize for detecting the expansion of acceleration? It was a major new discovery. Please explain exactly what your problem is with it.

As it is, these sort of emotional anti-science rants are the sort of thing that attract negative votes.

The thread is called "is noble prize suffocating science", I am not ranting only replying to thread,

The "Higgs" is still under debate,

Then I've noticed a lot of talk recently about the universe is slowing down and talk of noble prizes, when within the last few years a noble prize was awarded for the accelerating universe.

There is no emotional anti-science rant going on, I love science, why I frequent science forums, and spend all free time looking at many areas in science,

it just made me smile thinking a noble was awarded for proving the universe was expanding,, and within a few years another noble may be awarded for proving universe is really slowing down.

It makes you realize some theories/facts are how we interpret data, the data may be right but sometimes the interpretation is wrong.

Then I've noticed a lot of talk recently about the universe is slowing down and talk of noble prizes

The only one talking about a noble prize here is you. Alfred Nobel established the prize. It's named after him. Please get his name correct.

The thread is called "is noble prize suffocating science", I am not ranting only replying to thread,

The "Higgs" is still under debate,

All science is always open for debate. That is why the Nobel (note: NOBEL) Prize committee cannot wait for "The Truth". As it was, they waited 50 years before Higgs' predictions were confirmed.

Then I've noticed a lot of talk recently about the universe is slowing down

Where?

and talk of noble prizes, when within the last few years a noble prize was awarded for the accelerating universe.

Do you think that the article you linked to shows that discovery to be wrong?

It makes you realize some theories/facts are how we interpret data, the data may be right but sometimes the interpretation is wrong.

Except, so far there is no evidence that the interpretation is wrong. Despite that fact that, contrary to your (emotional) claims, people have proposed alternative explanations.

Edited by Strange

it just made me smile thinking a noble was awarded for proving the universe was expanding,, and within a few years another noble may be awarded for proving universe is really slowing down.

IOW, the Nobel for the accelerating expansion has not hampered investigation into the behavior of the universe. Research did not stop in this area because of the Nobel.

The only one talking about a noble prize here is you. Alfred Nobel established the prize. It's named after him. Please get his name correct.

We all make spelling mistakes sometimes, thank you for pointing mine out, I have been spending a lot of time looking at periodic table and have been concentrating on the "noble gases", So "Noble" stuck in my head instead of "Nobel" :eek:

Do you think the article you linked to shows that the observation of accelerating expansion has been shown to be wrong?

No,

Like I said I have read a lot recently about how we measure distances,

I have read a few saying we are in the slowing down phase, where others are saying we are in the accelerating phase.

I also think we are in the accelerating phase. But myself I like this part,

But “the new find­ing sug­gests that the uni­verse has slowed down and speed­ed up, not just once, but sev­en times in the last 13.8 bil­lion years, on av­er­age em­u­lat­ing dark mat­ter in the pro­cess,”http://www.world-science.net/othernews/150628_oscillation.htm

This seven times fits with my "pet theory".

• 1 month later...

I think I was wrong that Nobel is suffocating science, it doesn't. My whish is to live fertile science times like it was up to 1900 with a lot of practical discoveries and a lot of geniuses. Maybe that times will come.

What were the practical discoveries of which you are thinking?