Ebola scare may make Americans turn to science?

Bignose

Hehe, goodness, just imagine that people would go further and try to understand science. That could end up in a futile loop, though, after understanding science they may realize that Americans have little to fear and turn away from science until they forget and get afraid again.

That's a real stretch.

If I'm sick, I say " God please help me".

I certainly don't ask Darwin or Einstein for help !

I'm glad, since evolution and physics generally don't help when you're sick.

But I'd call on Lister or Hippocrates before I call on a god. They've had more success with human illness.

Or are you someone who believes God can cure cancer but not amputations?

That's a real stretch.

If I'm sick, I say " God please help me".

I certainly don't ask Darwin or Einstein for help !

That's a real stretch.

When you are sick and pray to god, he actually asks me for medical advice.

Don't believe me? Just ask me.

I didn't mean me but, people in general.

I would say more people turn to religion in times of personal crisis than they do to science.

Tell me, are more churches filled after an event like 9/11, or libraries with people doing research ?

And I don't state this because I favour one or the other. But people have a right to do as they choose to seek comfort. If you are 'low' enough to make fun of someone turning to God in a time of grief, do you also make fun of little kids crying ?

Edited by MigL

I didn't mean me but, people in general.

I would say more people turn to religion in times of personal crisis than they do to science.

Tell me, are more churches filled after an event like 9/11, or libraries with people doing research ?

I think more people think they understand their religious beliefs better than they really understand science.

I don't think people go to libraries for research as much since access to the internet in times of personal crisis is easier and more efficient.

Right, but not everyone has internet especially in Africa. :(

Americans are the topic.

I can start another thread exploring the correlation between religious beliefs and lack of internet access in the US. That actually sounds interesting.